Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud, as usual I can't express how impressed I am with your pictures...
Thank you, Brother Bill.
Quote:
...Seems like a big DS would be the right bike. Able to tour and explore the dirt roads.

You will enjoy the BRP as much as the Zong, I bet...
My Zong was just about perfect for this trip. However, after I rode my Zong to Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks, I knew I would have been much safer on that excursion with a larger engine!

The maniacs from California, and elsewhere, speed to arrive at the parks, then they recklessly speed through both parks, trying to "see" everything in one day! I was constantly pulling over to allow traffic to speed by me. :roll: When those idiots hit a bison at 80 mph, they will regret their foolishness. 8O

Needless to say, I will post a ride report on my Wyoming trip. However, I still need to complete this ride report.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #17

Quote:
BTW, Spud, as for the type of guy who takes his vehicle in corrosive salt laden mud, that would be the guy who 'gave' me my XR. I'd never seen a bike abused so badly. Indeed, how many times have you evern heard of a siezed engine on an XR200?
Indeed! :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #18

Traveling east from Golden Spike National Historic Site, I headed for the other side of the Promontory Mountains. I decided to enjoy the scenery, and travel along the abandoned, Central Pacific rail bed. Looking southward, you can see the sweep of the Promontory Mountains, and the salt flats east of them.

The Transcontinental Railroad was build by pick and shovel. Mechanized earth moving equipment did not exist in 1869, so the entire rail bed was built by manual labor. Therefore, to keep the labor to a minimum, the rail bed winds a serpentine path around most obstacles.

At a bend in the rail bed, I paused to admire the view of the ATK Thiokol facilities. ATK Thiokol manufactures the SRB (solid rocket booster) units for the N.A.S.A. space shuttle.

Departing the historic rail bed, I headed southward, to Promontory Point, and the Great Salt Lake. As I traveled southward, the Wasatch Mountains, and the salt flats were on my left.

Reaching a high spot in the road, I turned around momentarily, to admire the view back to the north.

If you have traveled this road before, you can recognize the ATK Thiokol facilities on the distant horizon.

As the evening advanced, the shadows were lengthening. As I continued southward, the salt flats grew wider.

At a bend in the road, I paused once again to look back north, at the lengthening shadows.

Looking to the east, and southeast, the salt flats seemed to extend all the way to the Wasatch Mountains. :o

When I took this ride last year, I saw salt water at this location. However, the extended drought has greatly decreased the size of the Great Salt Lake. 8O

This year, I did not see the Great Salt Lake until I arrived at the solar evaporation ponds, just north of the Union Pacific railroad. In the next two photographs you can see the outskirts of Ogden, Utah, at the base of the Wasatch Mountains on the horizon.

Wishing to see more of the diminished Great Salt Lake, I headed toward Promontory Point, where the Promontory Mountains terminate at the lakeshore.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #19

Beautiful pics as usual Spud! I have to say the scenery there is gorgeous and your Zong looks right at home in every photo. Awesome bike! Thank you for sharing

Cheers,
Stew

Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Beautiful pics as usual Spud! I have to say the scenery there is gorgeous and your Zong looks right at home in every photo. Awesome bike! Thank you for sharing

Cheers,
Stew
Thank you, Stew. Indeed, I consider myself blessed to live in such a beautiful region of our Earth. My modified YamaZong is a very good trail bike, and the 4.1-gallon, Clarke fuel tank has more than doubled its range! With the larger fuel capacity, my Zong has become an excellent adventure bike, so long as I am not in a hurry, and I don't need to contend with aggressive automobile drivers!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #21

Spud, given your geography, knowledge, and enthusiasm have you considered starting a motorcycle adventure touring operation?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #22

Beautiful trip photos. You live in a great motorcycle riding area.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Spud, given your geography, knowledge, and enthusiasm have you considered starting a motorcycle adventure touring operation?
I must admit, I have never considered the idea, Doc. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Beautiful trip photos. You live in a great motorcycle riding area.
Thank you, Bar.

After visiting Promontory Point, and noting the greatly reduced water level, I headed eastward, across the Great Salt Lake to Ogden, Utah. In previous years, I have ridden the road adjacent to the solar evaporation ponds. This year, I decided to take the road that parallels the Union Pacific Railroad. Leaving the Promontory Mountains behind, I headed eastward.

The solar evaporation ponds still contained a lot of saltwater.

However, as I looked southward, I was surprised to see nothing but salt flats extending all the way to Antelope Island! 8O The following photographs sweep the panorama, from the west, to the outskirts of Ogden, in the east.

Zooming in on Antelope Island, I was amazed how much the Great Salt Lake had receded from the previous year! 8O

Only the solar evaporation ponds to the north contained water. 8O

As I neared landfall, west of Ogden, I encountered an unpleasant surprise; the Union Pacific Railroad had locked the gate! :x

It was obvious several pickup trunks had climbed the rail bed and tracks to the south, bypassing the gate. However, I noticed a narrow bit of land was available north of the gate.

I tramped down a few weeds, and walked my Zong around the gate.

Small dual sport motorcycles can go just about anywhere. Taking a final look westward, I was grateful I did not need to retrace the path I had traveled!

As the sun began to set, I headed eastward, into Ogden, to spend the night at Motel 6.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #25

Be careful of areas around railroad tracks. If you are caught on their property you can go to jail.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #26

I frequently quietly trespass on the Burlington Northern easement here. There are trail alongside it that have been present for many years. I try to keep a low profile. No one that I know has ever been stopped, but I know I'm taking a risk. :(

Oh well. :roll:

Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
I must admit, I have never considered the idea, Doc. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun!

Spud
My buddy Andy is considering it here in Washington on Q's.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #28

Please keep us posted. I'd be into something like that, and I have a few buddies who'd likely come along.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #29

After spending the night in Ogden, I headed south to Bountiful, Utah. After eating breakfast and securing lodging for the evening, I ascending Skyline Drive into the Wasatch Mountains. Stopping at a favorite overlook, I paused to enjoy the view of Bountiful, and the Mormon temple.

Ascending higher, I stopped to admire the view of Antelope Island. However, as the Great Salt Lake recedes, Antelope Island has become a peninsula.

Sweeping the horizon to the south, I enjoyed the views of Bountiful, the Oquirrh Mountains, and the Salt Lake City Airport.

Ascending still higher, I reached the base of Bountiful Peak. I parked the Zong and admired the view of the Great Salt Lake.

Looking farther to the north, I observed Ogden, and the Promontory Mountains I had visited the day before.

Later this afternoon I would visit Francis Peak, shown on the horizon in the photograph below.

However, I now starting hiking the short trail to Bountiful Peak, and the beautiful panorama at the summit.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #30

As a child i remember a trip in that area with my family. We traveled to the top of a peak in our motorhome. At the top, we could see the Bingham copper mine. The city below the peak had all the fire hydrants painted like little people.

The pictures you have look the same as some of my memories, Thanks.