Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

High Idle When Engine Hot

Hello and thanks to everyone for their continued help. After finally getting my motorcycle running again, I noticed it get a very high idle when engine is hot. Usually I start it with the kickstart with the choke on, then after about 10min or so I will turn the choke off. Everything is fine and working correctly, but after about 20-25min of driving, the extremely high idle begins. I don't notice it so much in the higher gears, but when slowing down or being stopped at things like traffic lights, red lights, etc, it sounds like I'm holding the throttle open in neutral! The idle screw is pretty far down, so I'm not sure if its too high/low/etc.

The carb is brand new, and even though it sat for a while, it never had gas ran through it and while it sat, the gas tank was empty and removed. Fuel lines are 100%, no clogging, etc. Brand new stator, brand new CDI, spark plug is DR8EA, battery is completely dead, but works fine once kickstarted (purchasing new one this week).

I was looking around online to try and find a good example of the idle, and the video below seems to be the best example, however mine doesn't really idle THAT loudly, but its pretty close. Again, it doesn't start that until after the engine gets hot, when its cool/warm, everything is fine.

I checked to make sure the cable coming from the carb wasn't overly loose or too tight, etc and everything looked fine to me, but I'm also relatively clueless. Valves are set for factory specs. If it makes any difference, the gearing is set now at 14/46 if that is needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg W1XDD4wl.jpg (36.3 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg C8pDSrkl.jpg (36.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg n97YaA0l.jpg (41.8 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg 8x0NLOcl.jpg (35.6 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg Ub0CE11l.jpg (17.6 KB, 430 views)

Old 06-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

I don't know if you have anything causing the high idle but your idle does need to be adjusted when the bike is at normal operating temperature. The idle will always rise from a cold start until normal temperature is reached. Most of the China bikes say idle should be set at 1500rpm. My opinion is that is too high. Get the bike to temperature and then lower the idle till the bike stumbles and idles rough. Then increase the idle till it idles and sounds smooth. This will likely be in the range of 800 to 1200 rpm. Keep in mind you must also have a fast enough idle for the cold start and this may be the reason the factory recommends 1500rpm right off the get go.

/

/

/

Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

I believe you own a Zongshen ZS200GY-2, and you have a Teikei MV28 carburetor; is that correct?

Your pilot mixture screw is set too high. Follow the directions in the post linked below.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=11793

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Thank you very much. I figured it was that easy, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.