Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Gimpdiggity
New From Michigan.

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I've posted a few times. Still trying to decide if I want the Hi-Bird 250 in yellow like Cal25's got, or if I want to go with one of the Lifan 200GY-5s.

I'm 28 years old and been riding for about 7 years. My first bike was a 1985 Kawasaki ZX-600R...yes, the first actual Ninja 600. Loved it, but had a LOT of mechanical gremlins. Sold it for about what I bought it for, and the guy I sold it to did a frame up restoration and now that baby is B-E-A-UTIFUL.

I then moved on to a 1999 Ducati Monster 750 that I got from some guy because it "didn't run." I adjusted the valves and got it running fine. Rode it for a summer then sold it for twice what I paid for it.

I then bought a 1986 Yamaha Radian YX-600. Nice bike. In great shape with about 2,000 miles on it. Road that until last summer. Sold it to a cop that works at the airport I work at.

My current ride is a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250. It's completely tricked out. There seriously isn't another part for it that I can buy that doesn't require having MAJOR engine work done. It's got a full 2-1 straight flow race pipe, a set of UNI Pod filters, a FactoryPro Stage III Jet kit, a ZG Double Bubble Windscreen, some Sonic Springs up front, a rear spring ripped off of a Suzuki SV-650 and modded to fit, some Woodcraft Lowered Risers to replace the stock handlebars, some Woodcraft rearsets, and a set of stainless steel brake lines. It's also got some different graphics kits (ZX-2R instead of Ninja 250) and various carbon fiber bits and pieces. Overall, it's a WONDERFUL motorcycle. Probably the best I've ever owned. It's fast and it handles amazingly...I will give most 600 supersport riders a run for their money in some twisty roads.

With that said, the Ninja 250 is fairly uncomfortable to ride...so I believe that this year it will be relegated to track duty only. I'll get some race plastics and take all the lights off of it and just race it...so, I'll need something to get around town.

That's where the Hi-Bird or the Lifan comes in. I like the Hi-Bird because of the larger displacement...but I like the looks of the Lifan a bit better. I'm also hesitant about the Hi-Bird's dependability...I've only found a few people that have them, and they haven't had them for long...the Lifan on the other hand SEEMS to be fairly reliable if you take care of it. I'm guessing the Hi-Bird is the same...but I'm just not sure yet.

Either way, it's good to be here!!

Jeff

Coming Soon-Hi-Bird 250 in Big Bird Yellow!!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #2

welcome aboard. you just found a great resource for information about bikes from China. Lots of good folks here that can help you along.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

A lot of carb issues being posted with the Hibirds, I'd go Lifan.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #4

Welcome. I had a radian that I parted out to buy the lifan.

Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

I think either would be a fine choice for you.