Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #46

90 mpg this last tank!

Also went on a nice long 50 mile trip today which included a lot of dirt road travel and hill climbing. I had no problem climbing fairly steep hills. I was limited by the condition of the road for speed, but not engine power. Also, I did not loose any parts or notice any new rattles after the trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00485 s.jpg (41.8 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00486 s.jpg (42.7 KB, 444 views)

Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #47

Thanks for posting the pix.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #48

Great mileage numbers! Thanks for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #49

Got my performance coil and CDI today. I installed them and it does seem to have a bit more kick now. It also idles smoother and runs at higher rpms smoother. I was not expecting that, but it was a noticeable difference. Now to see if I notice a MPG difference.......

Old 10-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcoe View Post
Got my performance coil and CDI today. I installed them and it does seem to have a bit more kick now. It also idles smoother and runs at higher rpms smoother. I was not expecting that, but it was a noticeable difference. Now to see if I notice a MPG difference.......
That's great. Please do report any difference in MPG, either positive, or negative.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #51

Your ongoing thread makes me want to save up for a TaoTao BWS 150. I just wonder if it will top out at 55 to 60, and be able to maintain that speed (on a very level several mile stretch of road) like your bike does. I can get any of the Taotao bikes for cheap, which is why I am only 'sticking' to that brand and that bike, although your deal was VERY good at retail. I keep up with advrider's 'Battle Scooter' section, and it cracks me up at what some of those guys are willing to spend on scooters when I know Chinese ones, while not having all the fit and finish and power, but DO have engine reliability (very important) and cheap (and easy to self-repair) parts supplies, and the bikes sell for 1/3 to 1/4 the price. To each their own, I guess?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #52

This is what I what would like--especially in super-fast orange:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taotao_orange_bws_2.jpg (63.0 KB, 838 views)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcoe View Post
Got my performance coil and CDI today. I installed them and it does seem to have a bit more kick now.
Curious about your vendor resource, since there appears to be an abundance of bogus performance components.

Somewhat puzzling how a performance AC-CDI advances the timing firing curve, due to the fixed positions of the pickup coil and outer flywheel trigger magnet. Since there are two flywheel triggered impulses to the CDI to fire the sparkplug during a 4-stroke cycle (one is typically wasted), perhaps a performance CDI circuit is actually delaying the sparkplug impulses so the effect is an advanced firing curve.

This vendor offers an original type GY6 AC-CDI and ignition coil for around $20 shipped.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
This is what I what would like--especially in super-fast orange:
I like the looks of that Zuma Clone too. I almost purchased one of those through scootermadness.com. Then I found the one I purchased.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Curious about your vendor resource, since there appears to be an abundance of bogus performance components.

Somewhat puzzling how a performance AC-CDI advances the timing firing curve, due to the fixed positions of the pickup coil and outer flywheel trigger magnet. Since there are two flywheel triggered impulses to the CDI to fire the sparkplug during a 4-stroke cycle (one is typically wasted), perhaps a performance CDI circuit is actually delaying the sparkplug impulses so the effect is an advanced firing curve.

This vendor offers an original type GY6 AC-CDI and ignition coil for around $20 shipped.
If I were to guess it is able to time the milliseconds between the spark signal to calculate RPM and then is able to advance the timing to the RPM. Since it would spark before the next spark signal it would just use that signal to verify the RPM and then recalculate the next spark timing.

I picked up this performance coil and CDI for 12.99 shipped! Actually I purchased two, one for me and one for my son. We have not installed his yet though. The package actually arrived 7 days earlier than the earliest estimated date listed in the add. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171385631946 If you look around the picture shown on this ebay listing is the same used on many domestic listings that are many more dollars.

Since I installed my CDI/coil my scooter seems to idle smoother with a little bit higher RPM, by ear. I am thinking that it is the coil giving me a better burn. Could be a bit more advanced, not sure though. I was really surprised that the motor seemed smoother at higher RPM too. The advance must be making the motor operate more efficiently, therefore making it run smoother. I have not run past 45MPH yet. When I pin it at 40 it feels about the same as the old CDI, but once it started moving it picked up much faster. I contribute that to the fact that the advance does not drop off, such as in a car when throttle is applied. Pretty happy with the results though.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Your ongoing thread makes me want to save up for a TaoTao BWS 150. I just wonder if it will top out at 55 to 60, and be able to maintain that speed (on a very level several mile stretch of road) like your bike does. I can get any of the Taotao bikes for cheap, which is why I am only 'sticking' to that brand and that bike, although your deal was VERY good at retail. I keep up with advrider's 'Battle Scooter' section, and it cracks me up at what some of those guys are willing to spend on scooters when I know Chinese ones, while not having all the fit and finish and power, but DO have engine reliability (very important) and cheap (and easy to self-repair) parts supplies, and the bikes sell for 1/3 to 1/4 the price. To each their own, I guess?
That is the speed range that I am shooting for. I think with the performance CDI/coil and a performance variator 115mm, playing with the weights and some carb work, it should be easily doable.

I am with you. I have three Chinese quads that I have had for 6 years. Going by what everyone was saying at that time, I should have thrown them out 5 1/2 years ago. I paid less for all three quads than they paid for a cheap one of their mainstream quads. Still run just fine. I have found some rubber parts are deteriorating, but hey I can replace those parts real cheap. Everything else has been fine.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #57

Obviously, these aren't necessarily all-out dirt bikes, but how do you find your confidence level riding on dirt trails? You might not have anything to compare to, however (i.e. a 150cc street scooter ridden on dirt roads), but for casual riding, does it seem like it was 'meant to be' due to the tires?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #58

Quote:
Obviously, these aren't necessarily all-out dirt bikes, but how do you find your confidence level riding on dirt trails? You might not have anything to compare to, however (i.e. a 150cc street scooter ridden on dirt roads), but for casual riding, does it seem like it was 'meant to be' due to the tires?
Well, to be honest I have only ridden a CT70 somewhat off road besides my quads. I drove the CT 70 for about 10 miles on mostly two track roads last year. I did not really like it too much because it seemed a bit squirrely. Granted, besides the CT 70, my only experience on two wheels is on a bicycle. I really did not like the shifting I had to do with the CT70. Maybe with time I could learn to like it better. I doubt it though, because my quad is also a manual and I still hate shifting it all the time. My wife's quad is a 150cc GY6 and it is a lot of fun to drive. I wish I would have got one for myself. Since I liked it so much I started to look at scooters since they run the same GY6 for commuting and some light trail riding. So far I believe the scooter would do anything I have done on my/wife's quad so far. Watching the videos of the BWS/Zuma being used off road, that I have posted, convinced me that this would be a good choice. It has been mentioned that the BWS/Zuma makes a good off road scooter because of the larger diameter/wider tires and short wheel base. Not to mention that it looks like it belongs there with the external frame, headlight protectors and the hand guards. I did get some odd looks on my trip last week and a lot of double takes. It was quite comical.

I was at first a little spooked on the dirt, but after awhile I was starting to kick it around a bit and it did quite well. I would have no problem running it on forest roads, two tracks, 4x4 trails. I would however be a bit skeptical on some single track trails if there was a lot of low debris because of the transmission being wider and lower at the hub than a chain would be.

Check out the earlier videos if you have not already. The Asians love these things for off road. Here is a video of a BWS 125 and another type scooter doing some single tracking......

Last edited by ghcoe; 10-13-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added video

Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Obviously, these aren't necessarily all-out dirt bikes, but how do you find your confidence level riding on dirt trails?
All out dirt scooters?

We just do not take scooter seriously here in the States. When was the last time you saw some one drive a scooter like this here.......?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #60

We have a scooter racing class like that in my area, and AtomicWedgie from this forum is (slowly) building a BWS50 with a 70cc kit and a Leo Vince exhaust. Should be fun.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer