Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #1

Templar M

The addition of the Templar X with 6 speed got everyone thinking (I assume) that it would be better than the 2022 Templar X 5 speed.

But here is the truth... Templar is an ENDURO that is street legal. It is NOT a dual purpose bike like the Lifan KPX 250, or any of the myriad 14 hp ZS167FMM based bikes like the Hawk, Titan, Brozz, etc. Yes, Titan is similar, but has that ZS167 engine (14hp) and a 428 chain. It is a nice engine, but the 19hp ZS172 is much more adequate for an enduro.

The Templar is aimed at off road market. It comes with street legal lights, so you can get to the trail, but if you want a road bike, get a Brozz 250, a Hawk, or a KPX 250. None of these will perform as well as any Templar when you leave the pavement.

In other words, the new 6 speed Templar X doesn't improve on the offroad capability of the original 5 speed Templar X. Mainly because who needs to go more than 50mph if you are riding a dedicated enduro? And the frame on these Temps inspire confidence in tough trail situations, when you are goin less than 20mph.

The Templar M has the~20hp 5 speed ZS 172FMM 249cc engine, coupled to an accurately focused geared down 13T front sprocket coupled to a 49T rear sprocket. It is like a TWO WHEELED TRACTOR, NOT FAST. No delay carburetor performance is rewarding. But believe me, in the trails, this combination kicks a@@ Well, it's fun !

I am teetering on ordering a Temp M for my son. He has already learned how to handle rocky sections on my original Bashan Storm (with knobby conversion -DSport Adventure tour), with washout troughs, limbs, mucky interludes, steep pitches, steep climbs with rocks. He is ready for a real enduro bike. The road is how you get to the fun. But rough trails will make you pause, even stop, unless you are on a real enduro. Dual sport tires are really just road tires. Go off road and they will punish you. No kidding. Get ready to be smacked down when they wash out. Drop down with knobbies on a enduro? It is your fault, NOT the tires, or the bike.

Maybe I can lower the Templars with linkage. That would make it easier to mount. Once on the thing though, the height is useful offroad (it is an enduro).

FWIW

Last edited by Thumper; 04-24-2024 at 10:50 PM.