Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

This Could be a Problem...

I took the Hawk out on a long trip last week (about 40 miles each way at near wide-open throttle), and just noticed this has happened. I imagine that the exhaust gasses got this piece of plastic pretty hot (obviously) and cut out a pretty good sized wedge on the rear fender. Has anyone else with the aftermarket exhaust had this problem? I was thinking about doing some type of fender eliminator, so this really just accelerates those plans a bit. Any thoughts from the forum?

http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1526497069
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawk Exhaust.jpg (17.6 KB, 418 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...der+eliminator
https://ibb.co/album/gjnn6F

Old 05-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I took the Hawk out on a long trip last week (about 40 miles each way at near wide-open throttle), and just noticed this has happened. I imagine that the exhaust gasses got this piece of plastic pretty hot (obviously) and cut out a pretty good sized wedge on the rear fender. Has anyone else with the aftermarket exhaust had this problem? I was thinking about doing some type of fender eliminator, so this really just accelerates those plans a bit. Any thoughts from the forum?

http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1526497069
Megadan had rotated the baffle end 90* so it would face away from the rear fender so that wouldn't happen. This video shows what he did.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 05-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

This happened to someone here long time back and I can't remember who. It was one of the very first of these installed. Maybe Hertz?
I ran a spacer (big ass nut) between the exhaust can and frame mount. Directed it away from the fender.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks for doing all my work for me Jerry lol. I talk about it anlittle around the 3:20 mark.

Undo the 3 bolts holding the tail pipe and cover off and rotate it out. It kinda looks a bit goofy, but it works. I did that because of another member mentioning having the same problem. Quick and easy fix.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Not super worried about it either way. The Hawk is really my workhorse for banging around town and running errands. I don't care if it gets tipped over or scratched or such. On the one hand, I stay on top of all the maintenance, but on the other hand, it's really nice to have what effectively amounts to a disposable bike in the event something goes wrong. In related news, the kickstarter hits the right side footpeg everytime I kick it over. That's resulted in a pretty substantial amount of paint damage and dings on both the kickstarter and the back of the footpeg. Also, the right passenger footpeg broke the welds. I'm just going to get a longer but smaller bolt and a set of washers and just sandwich the existing threaded barrel to the anchor point. Problem solved.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

Emerikol, I've had that kicker issue with bikes in the past. I make an index mark to show the relationship of the kicker to the shaft and then remove the kicker. I reinstall it one spline forward, so as to shift the end of stroke travel. If that's not enough, I move it another spline.
Of course, you still need to be able to kick it effectively and it needs to rest in an appropriate spot. Some experimentation might solve your issue.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Weld, thanks for the info. I've done the same with shifters and clutch clevis's. Like I said previously, I'm not that worried about it. The Hawk is an amazing round town runabout, but in the end I have no illusions about what it is. It's certainly not going to make a round the world journey. I'm happy with it for what it is, but in the great grand scheme of things, I'm not going to cry in my beer when it's time to scrap it, or if something happens to it. I'm really comfortable with having a bike like that. The Ural, on the other hand, is a whole different ball of wax. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep that beast up and running forever!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

Mine just cleared it on the TT, but you can get chunky nylon spacers from Home Depot to push it out about a half-inch. Assuming you've got frame clearance elsewhere, of course.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #10

Ever mount a tv on the wall, lots of really good hard plastic spacers usually come in those kits. That's what I used 1.5" spacer with a hole nearly perfect for my bolt.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #11

I've got a spacer put in the hanger for the exhaust, but I guess it just didn't bring it out far enough. Funny thing is, this is the second time I've done that ride. The first time was a couple months back, and I'm guessing that it was still cool enough that the plastic never got hot. I'm thinking about trying to trim everything back and relocate the plate to directly under the brake light. That would eliminate 99% of the problem. The exhaust would still catch a very slim slice of the plate, but I think it'll be just fine. I'm still turning it over. Not sure if I even want to get involved in a project like that and miss out on all this great riding weather.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up