Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2021, 04:59 AM   #1

'Churbo' aka Chinese Turbo.

This is not Bike related but it sort of does have china riding vibes...Maybe someone might find this helpful...

So I drive a 97 Mitsubishi L400 Delica Van...Grey Import here in Oz.

With a 4M40T IDI 2.8l turbo Diesel engine. with a rare 5 speed manual transmission.

Done 218k when I got it.. Since then but another 25k. The engine was healthy and the price was right.

It's my primary drive so kinda important to get it back on the road before I think about the XL185 project.

It was my high school dream vehicle and since getting it have done much to try and keep it going for as long as possible.

But when you get a 20 year old van that's done some work things are going to start showing their age. I won't deny I've hit my fair share of gremlins.

however being a pre-millennial vehicle it's mostly mechanical and less computer programmed so DIY is still a viable option for me.

Any way sorry for the long winded back story but to get to the point the factory TF035 turbo started playing up and I was noticing a drop in oil level. Chasing a weird on boost squeal noise to the point I tracked all the way back to the turbo after replacing the manifold gaskets which were probably fine.

Oh well, Sh!t happens and over 200k on what I assume is the original turbo is fair game...

Now I had dreams of perhaps 1 day upgrading to a billet ball bearing core, but under the current circumstances I jumped on ebay and found a brand new factory replacement Chinese copy TD04/035 for $155AUD delivered...

A week later it showed up and I decided to make the effort to turn a $155 Chinese turbo into a something a bit better quality.

Just whipped out the dremel and carbide/sanding tips and ported the exhaust inlet, waste gate port and post turbine exit casting imperfections.

Then gave the each side an appropriate coat of paint.

I will say for the money I can't fault it. How long it will last is a different matter but under the circumstances I think its a winner.

Next thing is hoping the old turbo comes out kindly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg churbo1.jpg (42.6 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo2.jpg (55.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo3.jpg (42.7 KB, 193 views)