Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #46

Agreed. I've never liked anything over a 400 for off-road.....and that displacement is acceptable for shots down the freeway.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #47

Sadly weight is the devil in the details. If a bike carries it's weight low then it can feel much lighter than it is. I think you guys here have stated that the RX3 doesn't feel as heavy as the stated curb weight of the bike. I can only assume that the RX3 carries it's weight down low. I understand the VX300 is similar in that it feels lighter than it's curb weight would suggest. But look at a bike like a KLR and it carries a lot of it's weight up top and combined with a 6.1 gallon fuel tank riding up top I understand it is a real pig to pick up if you drop it.

So I hope that the weight characteristics of the RX3 can be carried over to the RX3s and RX4. The bike feeling lighter and more nimble than it's curb weight implies would be huge and a big benefit if your off the beaten path and drop your bike.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #48

[QUOTE=MalcolmReynolds;279034] But look at a bike like a KLR and it carries a lot of it's weight up top and combined with a 6.1 gallon fuel tank riding up top I understand it is a real pig to pick up if you drop it.

That is why I sold my KLR. I was installing a new front tyre and had the bike propped up at the front with a jack(It had a centre stand) while I took the wheel/tyre to be balanced. Unfortunately something came up and I couldn't get to the dealership for a few days. The jack slowly dropped, the bike went down and luckily fell on some lumber sat next to it, saved by the crash bars. I however could not pick the bike up from the awkward position it had fallen in. I tried all the known methods, back to it etc. I was just not strong enough to lift it. That was the epiphany; What would happen if I was in the boonies somewhere and it fell on an adverse camber hill? With all the gear on, it had become just too heavy for me and I sold it. Apart from my Honda CX500 it was also the most top heavy bike I have ridden.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #49

I have this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2CMI3AGk-z1U_-

I'm a very small 5'7", 120lbs and my F800GS Adventure is just too large to pickup.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
That is why I sold my KLR. The jack slowly dropped, the bike went down and luckily fell on some lumber sat next to it, saved by the crash bars. I however could not pick the bike up from the awkward position it had fallen in. I tried all the known methods, back to it etc. I was just not strong enough to lift it. That was the epiphany; What would happen if I was in the boonies somewhere and it fell on an adverse camber hill? With all the gear on, it had become just too heavy for me and I sold it.
This is tracking exactly where my thought process is on an ADV bike at the moment. The KLR is very appealing until you start to consider the stuff that nobody wants to think about which is dropping a bike and not being able to get the bike back up.

On the streets around a lot of other people you are likely going to find someone who can help you lift a bike, but off road, off the beaten path you may be a while before you see someone. Worse yet get pinned under the bike and now it becomes life threatening. Complicate things with a bike at an odd angle, position, location and now things get real interesting.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #51

I've had my DR over (more times than I like to admit), and and I really think it comes down to knowing when to try to save it, and when to step off. When you're out on the trails, you can usually feel when things start to go pear shaped. That gives you plenty of time, relatively speaking of course, to decide how the bike is going to go down. If you're going faster than the riding conditions or your abilities will allow, then bad things are bound to happen. I've found that working on the technical stuff first made me a better on and off road rider. Most of these young bucks out here want to hit the trails as fast as they can, and get frustrated with other riders who are working at skill building. The point to this very wordy post, is that everyone needs to decide what they want to do with the motorcycle, and form will follow function. All off road riding as fast as possible? Two stroke dirtbike that you trailer to the stomping grounds. Round the world motorcycle tour? The list is endless, ranging from the 650 singles up to the 1200 BMW's and Triumphs (a-la Ewan and Charley in the Long Way Round movies). Putter around town running errands with the occasional dirt road? That's where most of the CB's we see on this forum come in. The long and short of it is, if you always ride what you're comfortable with and inside of your skills and abilities, you shouldn't ever have a problem with the equipment not supporting your needs. That's why I have three bikes (really just a temporization as a reason to have that many motorcycles) that all do different things well. That's my thought, at least.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post

I'm a very small 5'7", 120lbs and my F800GS Adventure is just too large to pickup.
Where did you buy this from Joe,? looks like a good kit to have on travels, rj

Old 05-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #53

This is the same technique I taught Mrs. 2LZ for her Victory. Always face away from the bike.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post

A little better version of that is sold over on advrider. it's a bit easier to put together and less parts to lose.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...evice.1288733/

Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #55

2LZ said:-

"This is the same technique I taught Mrs. 2LZ for her Victory. Always face away from the bike."

That is the technique I tried but because of the unusual circumstance I couldn't get close enough to the bike to do this action, which I have successfully carried out a number of times in the past. I would also point out that the demo is on level concrete, the bike, whilst admittedly heavy, has a low COG. I wonder how easy this would be on loose ground and on a downhill slope?
I have seared in my mind, a YouTube video of a guy riding a MK1 KLR on a single track. You could see he was getting himself farther into terrain which was way above his abilities. He, inevitably, dropped the bike on the steep downhill side of the track and worked up an incredible lather trying to right the bike. By stupendous good luck, two couples on a hike, came along and helped him get the bike back on the track. He was so fatigued that he later dropped the bike again and wound up having the couples wheel his bike downhill to the nearest road. Imagine being out somewhere really wild and having this happen? It could easily turn into a very ugly situation. Even worse think what a sprained wrist or ankle would do for your survival chances. Sub 400lbs is my rule an' I am sticking to it.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
Sub 400lbs is my rule an' I am sticking to it.
Goshawk - Good for you. You know what you're comfortable with, and you're standing by your decision. Will a sub-400lb bike check all the boxes of what you want to do all the time? Maybe, Maybe not. But sub-400lbs for you makes you ride comfortable, and that's the key. There's no enjoyment having a little gremlin gnawing at the back of your mind "You know, if you put this thing down for any reason, you'll never get it back up. And I'll be right here laughing at you as you become increasingly frustrated and fatigued trying..." I think the stock DR650 tucks in just below your magic number, and I've found mine to be hugely capable of chewing up whatever I throw at it. I know that several DR's have even been or Round the World trips. I just rolled 10,000 miles on mine, and it hasn't given me a lick of problems.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Goshawk - Good for you. You know what you're comfortable with, and you're standing by your decision. Will a sub-400lb bike check all the boxes of what you want to do all the time? Maybe, Maybe not. But sub-400lbs for you makes you ride comfortable, and that's the key. There's no enjoyment having a little gremlin gnawing at the back of your mind "You know, if you put this thing down for any reason, you'll never get it back up. And I'll be right here laughing at you as you become increasingly frustrated and fatigued trying..." I think the stock DR650 tucks in just below your magic number, and I've found mine to be hugely capable of chewing up whatever I throw at it. I know that several DR's have even been or Round the World trips. I just rolled 10,000 miles on mine, and it hasn't given me a lick of problems.
an older guy on Adventure Rider, I think, has mega miles (over 100K) on his DR650 and like you, hasn't had any trouble with it. Great bikes but (isn't there always a but) they are waaay too tall for my stubby legs and that is another scary factor, can you take a quick dab to keep yourself upright, or is it all over by the time your foot hits the ground? I did appreciate the accessible seat height of the RX3, and its very relaxed riding position. I hope the RX4 is as favourable to us vertically challenged riders.
I looked at a like new, 2007 DR650 with 1500 miles on it. Currently on Craigs List for $2800, but the only way I can mount it is by using the LH footpeg. It did not augur well for an off road get-off.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #58

Sorry for the late reply. I got it from https://www.eastbound.org/english-menu/motowinch-info/

Joe

Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #59

[Goshawk;279224] I looked at a like new, 2007 DR650 with 1500 miles on it. Currently on Craigs List for $2800, but the only way I can mount it is by using the LH footpeg. It did not augur well for an off road get-off.[/QUOTE]

Goshawk, FYI, I just picked up a 06 DR650 to replace my Honda NC700x with. I'm 5'6" with probably a 26" inseam. I lowered the DR by running the forks up till they almost hit the handle bars, I Did not take forks apart and do it the "right" way like the factory suggests. Used the lowering rear shock mount hole, then installed Soupy's performance lowering links and I can sit on it with both balls of my feet hitting the ground. If I install the Corbin seat it will lower it a little more. I know that this is way low for most humans who need the suspension . I'm 61yo and mainly ride pavement and forest road so being able to touch the ground with both feet is way more important then trying to ride like I'm in the Dakar all the time, flying through the air. Bike seems to handle just fine up to 80-90mph so far which I don't hardly do unless passing cars. Have yet to see if tires will grind on the fender insides yet. It's even lower then my "lowered" RX3. FYI rj
Name:  20180504_125331.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #60

I lowered my Dr650 same as RJ. Seat was lower than the RX3, and with the soft stock suspension, with rider sag, lowers it even more when mounted.

The DR suspension was more kindly to my aging backbone than the RX3 ever was, even with the upgraded shock.

Another bike I should have kept....

BTW, RJ, I never had trouble with the tire rubbing with conservative riding (Shinko 705s)

jb