Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #1411

Dobeck also offers the new, AFR+ controller for the Honda CRF250L. I don't know if Dobeck would offer this option for the Zongshen RX3. However, the following video shows the difference between the EJK controller and the AFR+ controller.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #1412

Here is a video which more thoroughly demonstrates the AFR+ adjustment modes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #1413

The AJP website has a nice photograph of the NC250 intake manifold, with the Delphi throttle body and fuel injector.

To install the Dobeck controller, you must first disconnect the plug coming from the Delphi ECU to the fuel injector. Then you plug the Dobeck connector to the fuel injector, and plug the Delphi connector into the back side of the Dobeck connector. After you connect the Dobeck controller to an electrical ground, the installation is complete.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I just checked the AJP PR5 Owner's Manual. The last page of the manual, page 25, lists the following specifications for valve clearance.

http://issuu.com/ajpmotos/docs/ajp_pr5_user_manual_en

Intake: 0.05 mm
Exhaust: 0.08 mm
That does seem to be more practical.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Spud and Weld, I noticed this site is happily relatively troll and idiot free, compared to most net sites. That does make it much better and easier to have more open discussion...
I'm pleased to hear that. We don't even have to work that hard at it; most of the people who end up here are quire open minded.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
This is a quick introduction from another soon-to-be RX-3 owner. I placed my order with CSC on December 31, actually talked directly to Steve, and I'm really excited about this bike. I love my Honda NT700V but I think the Cyclone should be a great alternative roadster with off-road capability.

Many thanks to Spudrider, Weldangrind, the folks at CSC, and other posters for making this thread so informative and friendly. I'm itching to ride, but its been great fun to read up on the bike while awaiting delivery.
Welcome! Thanks for signing up.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #1417

Quote:
The Zongshen NC250 engine is not a copy of another engine. I believe Zongshen hired an Italian firm to design the NC250 engine. As far as I know, the NC250 engine is not similar to any Yamaha engine.
I suspect that Piaggio or Morini had a hand in the design.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #1418

Quote:
The Zongshen NC250 engine is not a copy of another engine. I believe Zongshen hired an Italian firm to design the NC250 engine. As far as I know, the NC250 engine is not similar to any Yamaha engine.

I am considering loaning my RX3 to Dobeck Performance in Belgrade, Montana.

http://www.techlusion.com/dobeck-products.asp

Dobeck designs and manufactures the EJK controllers, which maximize engine performance for EFI engines.

I did install a Yamaha exhaust header and FMF silencer on my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. Combined with the correct carburetor jets, the engine definitely produced more power. You can read about this project at the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=5974
I hope you make the loan to Dobeck. The EJK is a great product and made my CRF a much better bike. The Honda was extremely lean from the factory and the EJK let me fatten it up where needed for improved response across the power band.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #1419

Quote:
The Delphi computer is used to diagnose the health of the EFI system. It is not designed to alter the fuel map for the engine control unit (ECU). An aftermarket unit, such as the Dobeck EJK, is needed to alter the fuel map of the ECU. The Dobeck EJK (Electronic Jet Kit) allows you to enrich, or lean the fuel mixture to your preference for idle/cruise, acceleration, and full throttle. Therefore, you can tailor the bike's fuel economy and performance exactly as you wish, and easily change any of these settings at your convenience.
That controller is very simple to use; I like how you can make 1/2 point adjustments to idle, cruise or WOT.

This controller would make it very simple to compensate for intake or exhaust mods.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #1420

Quote:
Dobeck also offers the new, AFR+ controller for the Honda CRF250L. I don't know if Dobeck would offer this option for the Zongshen RX3. However, the following video shows the difference between the EJK controller and the AFR+ controller.
That's genius! I love the idea of being able to make AFR changes and see the gauge move in real time.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #1421

Quote:
The AJP website has a nice photograph of the NC250 intake manifold, with the Delphi throttle body and fuel injector.

To install the Dobeck controller, you must first disconnect the plug coming from the Delphi ECU to the fuel injector. Then you plug the Dobeck connector to the fuel injector, and plug the Delphi connector into the back side of the Dobeck connector. After you connect the Dobeck controller to an electrical ground, the installation is complete.
That's a very simple installation. If Dobeck develops an AFR system, I suspect that the O2 sensor will require replacement as well. I doubt that the stock O2 sensor is wideband.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #1422
Banned

Thanks guys for clearing ose issues up.

Re WR Yamaha, maybe I read that the engine was most similar to the Yamaha in design...but not really as the valve adjustment in the head even is much different (and preferable to me) over Yamahas system. Though the long service intervals seem better. (remains to be seen as to how frequent adjustments have to be made over miles. Good to know it had good input into its design!

I actually called Dobrek a while back re EJK for ur bikes. I think that must have been right after Spud inquired re his bike and them adapting the EJK to our bikes (via Spuds!
Having that available, would be a big plus, IMHO, and open up many more options for increased performance.

Am I dreaming, or is this motor spec'ed out in another application at a higher output? ANyone else heard that?
Did you dyno your bike Spud before and after or use the "butt dyno" approach. (like I use usually! hehe

Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #1423

Quote:
Re WR Yamaha, maybe I read that the engine was most similar to the Yamaha in design...
The only thing the WR and the RX3 share in common is identical bore and stroke
77x53. That leads to speculation that power curves may be similar.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #1424

Quote:
...Did you dyno your bike Spud before and after or use the "butt dyno" approach. (like I use usually! hehe
I employed the DD (derrierre dynamometer) to estimate the enhanced performance of the engine in my ZS200GY-2.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's a very simple installation. If Dobeck develops an AFR system, I suspect that the O2 sensor will require replacement as well. I doubt that the stock O2 sensor is wideband.
I believe you are correct. The AFR+ system includes the wideband O2 sensor.

http://www.afrplus.com/

According to the web page in the above link:

The AFR+ brings together two technologies within one system to make it the most powerful, user-friendly tuning device on the market. AFR+ combines an EFI controller with a wideband O2 sensor and AFR gauge to provide a user instant fuel trimming ability and feedback about their vehicle’s state of tune.

I wonder how the wideband O2 sensor integrates with the Delphi EFI system? I imagine Dobeck figures that out, and supplies the correct connector, just as it does for the fuel injector.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220