Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #121

Yes. That one. Usually the needle is set to the center notch. If your bike is starting/idle fine it may not need to be moved. It is is hard to start and seems cold natured move the clip one notch closer to the point. This richens the idle circuit up. Needs less choke.

You plan with the mixture screw sounds good.

Allen

Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #122

Beauty! Tomorrow, after I fix my tractor (everything's breaking this week!) I should be able to get this baby to idle purrrrfect! (It does start just fine- even on cold days- just idles a little too low when cold...and too fast when hot- but that even seems to be improving as the engine gets broken-in; as i gave it a good riding today- and the hot idle was actually pretty acceptable today!)

Oh...and the real thing i want to correct is the popping/backfiring through the exhaust. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have to mess with it. (I'm thinking that that indicates that it's too rich- but yet my spark plug is the right color. Yet, the choke doesn't seem to have much effect unless it's fully on)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #123

I have never had one not backfire or cackle a little. Tim said it had a pretty open exhaust "Performance" My dual Sport did the same thing.
Especially after I gutted the mystery bulge in the pipe that some call a baffle and some call a cat.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal_Diver
I have never had one not backfire or cackle a little. Tim said it had a pretty open exhaust "Performance" My dual Sport did the same thing.
Especially after I gutted the mystery bulge in the pipe that some call a baffle and some call a cat.
Hmmm...interesting. I'm not real familiar with small motors. Despite the fact that I've rebuilt my share of car and truck motors in the past, I wouldn't even know how to adjust the valves on one of these things without consulting a manual or forum. (If someone would come out with a good service/repair manual for these things, they'd make a fortune and make life a lot easier for many of us!)

You're making me feel better, Uni. I'll adjust it as best I can....but since there are zero drivability issues, even if it doesn't end up sounding perfect to me, I guess it won't be so bad.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #125

I guess I am just used to my friends Yamaha 250 mx bike 4 stroke. It is cold natured BAD, and it cackles too, and he has a local race guy do all his work on it.. It idles terrible in my opinion, but it runs like a raped ape.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #126

One thing you mentioned that you are trying to achieve might be difficult. Slow idle when cold and faster idle when warm is the nature of these beasts. You might try to set the idle for somewhere in between. My bike is set such that it will not idle by itself when cold. Once warm it idles fine.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal_Diver
It idles terrible in my opinion, but it runs like a raped ape.
Thank you, that just made my day............

I read that and just started laughing.......
Bill

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #128

I think you may want to richen the fuel up alittle actually.

Allen

Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #129

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am very sorry but my crap ass pic server has lost ALL of my forum pics in a drive crash. :roll:

Sorry about that. All that history for future viewers gone.

Sucks............................................. ....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #130

Hey everyone, New rider (kinda) here,, I am looking to buy my a new atv. and it is now down to 2 to chose from,, the 250cc-V4SW and the 250cc V4D Sport Utility, both from V-Bike.. I would really like to get some input on these 2 ATVs. I have a few Bikes that I ride, but am looking for an atv to ride out here in the "real woods" of Washington. I thank all of you for all your input and please,,, ride safe

From everything I have read,, sounds like the V4SW 250cc from V-Bike (Tim) is the way to go.. So I think today I am going to place an order for one and see what happens... wish me luck

Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #131

Don,

First off, are we talking the new V4D (for, I think $1449)- or the old V4D for $1149?

There was a HUGE difference between the old V4D and the V4SW- the V4SW having a much better suspension, water-cooled motor, etc.

The new V4D and the V4SW seem to be very similar. It's hard to tell how they differ, as there are not a lot of pics of it yet on the Vbike site- but for some reason, the new V4D puts out a little less horsepower than the V4SW.

All I know is that the V4SW is an AWESOME quality bike for the price- and personally, I'd give the nod to it over any of the other 250's- and the old V4D...well, it wasn't even in the same class with the V4SW- not even close. For $150 more, the V4SW was light-years ahead.

But it looks like the new V4D is closer in design, features and quality to the V4SW- but personally, I'd much rather have the V4SW for $200 less than the new V4D; and even if they were the same price, I'd still go with the V4SW after having seen it's quality. I may even buy another V4SW to sell locally....or to keep if I end up not being thrilled with the 300 Monster that I'm going to order.

Wonder if the V4D(new) has the 520 chain like the V4SW? (ask Tim)

And what's that thing sticking up in the middle of it- a sissy bar/backrest?

One word of caution: Since the new V4D is "new", if you'd prefer to go with it, I'd wait till some others get them and try them out and report on them...rather than being the guinea pig.

I just talked to someone last night from another forum, who went to pick up a Vbike in person, and he had an opportunity to test drive the new(not yet listed on the site- but being pushed by Tim on the phone) 300cc shaft-drive utility, and said that it had "issues" and design defects that were not worked out yet. Unless you like being a guinea pig, I'd stay with the tried and true models. (and that was the 2nd bad report I've heard of the new 300 shaft-drive).

The one thing I know for sure, is that the V4SW is amazing! Only drawbacks: Lack of full fenders can get you messy, and wimpy trailer hitch (I think it's actually meant to be a tie-down loop or towing hook)- but it looks like the new V4D has equally bad fenders and no trailer hitch. Seems like the only thing you're gaining with the V4D is a front rack and a winch (and is a winch really necessary on a 300 lb. bike? I think not!)

V4SW is also few inches wider than the V4D- it's very stable.

Either way, let us know what you decide and good luck!!

EDIT: Oh, and glad to see you on this forum. Unlike that other forum, where the moderator actually has a financial interest in pushing one brand/dealership, this forum is honest and unbiased. I don't post on that other forum anymore- I won't be a part of their dishonesty and nonsense.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #132

I thank you for the input,,, as for the winch, it would be nice here in western Washington (on the coast) where there are lots of hill/mountians and rivers and such. I was looking at it for a true "utility" ATV for camping and fishing. But I must say I do like the V4SW alot more for it's power and all the rest of it's stats. And for the "sissy/ backrest,, that was the little womans idea,,,lol.. But I am with you guys, I to think the V4SW is the one,, if need be,,I know how to weld and fabercate to put a winch on it later.. I thank you for all the input and hope to get either a black one or a green one,,,and will let you all know what I think after I get it...

Don

EDIT: I called Tim and asked about the chain on the V4D(new) and he said that they are running a 530 on them and also said that the front bumper and rear racks can be swapt out with other racks... Oh, good news,,,I'm getting a green one.... Again, Thank you all for the great input on this forum.. Other forums gave me crap for going with a Chinese quad......

And to add to that,,I did say I ride dirt bikes,, I have an Apollo ADR 125, an ADR 125 pro, and an AZX 250 pro. And all are great bikes.. Only problem was loose bolts,,,ty loctite

Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by donslookin
Other forums gave me crap for going with a Chinese quad......
Ya know, from what I've seen on other forums, I genuinely believe that a lot of Jap bike owners do not want to admit how far along the Chinese bikes have come lately, because it would be too painful to them to think that they could've bought a $1500 bike instead of a $4500.00 bike.

And funny thing is, from reading those other forums, it is apparent that the Jap bikes are by no means perfect- but they seem to have their share of problems too- even when new.

After having looked around at used Jap bikes, even one for $4K (someone wanted to trade for a tractor I was selling), I really don't see anything that justifies paying three or four times what the Chinx cost.

And comparing used Jap bikes in the $2K and under range, they seem very lackluster compared to a $1300 V4SW. (No digital gear indicator; didn't shift as smoothly, didn't have as much power...)

I think we have been richly rewarded for having open minds and being willing to try these Chinese bikes. (I always like to be the odd man out, anyway!).

Chinese tractors? Well, I don't know that I'd buy one of them quite yet (they're built far too light)- but I think they've got the hang of these ATVs!

Hey, Don, please post pics when ya get yours, as well as your impressions of it!

[Don: "My impression of the bike? It goes something like this: Pwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwp!!!!!" ]

EDIT: Ya gotta love that green, eh?! I'll bet the green ones don't sell good, because of the pic on their website- it shows such a washed-out wimpy green.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #134

well,,,I got the green one.. and tim said it would be here by friday or saturday.. I also went and picked up some after market lights for the bike,and they will be here about the same time... So after I get it all together, I will take some pics and also some after I put the lights on,,that is if I don't have to make added mounts on the bumper for them... but I will keep you all posted...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #135

well,,, Talked to Tim today and my atv should be here on friday.

I am so pumped to see what this bike will do