Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
*might even be able to do my next colonoscopy in the comfort of my own home
What's with this camera? It smells awful!
LMAO!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I have seen the inspection cameras before; they are very cool. How much did this one cost? Can you post a link to a website describing this camera?

How did you employ a dental mirror to examine the cam chain tensioner? I couldn't perform that procedure on any of my motorcycles. Does the CX have an automatic, or manual cam chain tensioner?

Spud
Well, Spud, I cashed in about six month worth of Holiday Inn Priority Club points for the camera. Here is some info on it from a dealer.
http://www.securitycamerasdirect.com...or-lcd-monitor

The CX has a manual adjuster whereas the GL has and automatic adjuster. Both models have an inspection plug above the flywheel to align timing makes for valve adjusting. The hole is large enough to get a dental mirror in there to get a gander at the tensioner. There you can see how stretched the spring is and how much adjustment is left. From the look of mine, this little bit of maintenance was never performed.

Here is where I learned to do it.
http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Cam+chain+inspection

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #123

I'm glad I asked both questions. Thank you for the interesting, informative answers, Cheesy.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #124

Wow, that chain carved up a lot of aluminum. I bet the oil looked like Never-seize when it was drained out.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #125

Quote:
Wow, that chain carved up a lot of aluminum. I bet the oil looked like Never-seize when it was drained out.
Never-Seize and my little buddy Dave. The stories I could tell.

I think I've caught mine in time. My oil is still looking pretty clean.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #126

Camera got here today but too busy to play with it. Got lots o' time tomorrow, will post up some pics then.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #127

Here is the camera. Here is more info from the manufacturers website. http://www.whistlergroup.com/inspect...ct.aspx?id=285

Actually a bore scope because it doesn't save images. Still, way cool. Didn't play much but I did use it to confirm what I already knew about my cam chain.

The inspection hole on the CX with the plug removed.

Tensioner with no adjustment left.

I still needed to use the dental mirror but I think I got a better image using the scope.

Cam chain

For giggles and grins, I pushed on the cam chain with the handle of the dental mirror. Yeah, my season is done. :( I'm surprised that the chain hasn't been thrown. Also think I may have broken a chain guide on Wednesday and may have just started sawing into the aluminum.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #128

Sounds like you caught it just in time. I'm very interested to follow the process, as I might like to add a CX to the stable someday.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #129

Quote:
Sounds like you caught it just in time. I'm very interested to follow the process, as I might like to add a CX to the stable someday.
I'll do another pictorial. Got everything on order save for the front and rear cover gaskets. Those are only available in a full kit and as I'm not doing a total tear down, I'll just make those.

Every o-ring in the cooling system is being replaced as is the mechanical seal and water pump seals. Rear brake shoes will also be replaced and the forks rebuilt. Headset freshened or replaced, depending on condition, same with the wheel bearings.

This is all stuff that should have been done last season, but Mrs. Cheesy was on such a rampage about the me bringing it home that I decided to let sleeping bit.....er...dogs lie.

Now, she wants to know how long it's going to take to get it back up and running. :?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #130

Glad the Mrs. is on board. 8)

As far as the headset bearings go, if I go through the effort to repair them I just swap them out with tapered rollers. They ride better and will never wear out. Not expensive, maybe $50 or less. I use All Balls but I think any brand will work.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #131

That must be a common thing on the CX's... Mine piled up the chain and broke a guide shortly after I bought it. Kinda soured me on the bike after that, Lol, I had spent all my savings to get it!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
That must be a common thing on the CX's... Mine piled up the chain and broke a guide shortly after I bought it. Kinda soured me on the bike after that, Lol, I had spent all my savings to get it!
Very common, caused by lack of maintenance. I was expecting it, just not this soon. Cam chain adjustment should be done at every oil change and the chain replaced when there is 1mm or less adjustment left on the tensioner. I don't think it was ever done on my bike, looking at the clamping marks on my tensioner. But, if PM is done correctly, it's not unheard of to get 200,000 miles from an engine.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Very common, caused by lack of maintenance. I was expecting it, just not this soon. Cam chain adjustment should be done at every oil change and the chain replaced when there is 1mm or less adjustment left on the tensioner. I don't think it was ever done on my bike, looking at the clamping marks on my tensioner. But, if PM is done correctly, it's not unheard of to get 200,000 miles from an engine.
Mine had pretty low mileage on it, but as you say it might have never been maintained by the previous owner... Lol, and of course it blew up about a thousand km's after I got it. Gotta say though, I fixed her up and she purred like a kitten till I sold it. I really (and I mean really!) liked the shaft drive!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #134

Two spare motors for $60?

May be worth the shipping...

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3329180961.html

Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #135

Nice find, Doc! The seller wants $60 for one engine, and $100 for both engines. That's a great deal for a local person, but the shipping would probably be atrocious. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894