Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I'll probably go with the 31 tooth because the 30 will put me a little higher than I want with a 13 tooth on front. The 12/31 will be fine for most of the off road riding I do. There are a couple of place we go ride that have some pretty steep hills and the 11/31 would be perfect there. I need billy goat mode there. lol
You are going to the 520 chain because your engine improvements are stressing the 420 HD chain I hope you are using? There is no reason to change to a 520 chain except poor chain and sprocket life. Unless you think you "Just gotta have an O-Ring chain". ..ARH

Old 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
You are going to the 520 chain because your engine improvements are stressing the 420 HD chain I hope you are using? There is no reason to change to a 520 chain except poor chain and sprocket life. Unless you think you "Just gotta have an O-Ring chain". ..ARH
You can get non o ring 520 chain as well. The reason to switch is entirely for better chain life/durability over the 428. Is it necessary? not entirely. A 428hd chain can live a long happy life on most of these bikes. Since the cost is about the same, if you have to change sprockets and chains, why not? Most OEM's don't even run a 428 chain on anything 200cc or larger anymore entirely for durability reasons. Even the CRF230F, which weight and power wise is close to a Chonda, uses a 520 from the factory.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #123

Quote:
I know eventually I'll have to change the rear sprocket. Might as well upgrade everything when I do. I'm surprised that my rear sprocket has held up as well as it has for 5000+ miles. I've been through a few 15 tooth front sprockets but these were stock Hawk sprockets.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #124

520 = piece of mind. The smaller chain means constant stretching/adjusting which means more sprocket wear, and a neglected 428 might break. A high quality 520 O-ring should only need one adjustment after break-in, and just replace it if it looks like it needs a second adjustment. If you do your sprockets will last forever. Also I don't lube any of my offroad chains, you're just putting glue on there for sediment to stick to. It can get a little expensive replacing the chain every year especially if you own a few bikes. But not having to worry about your chain and sprockets or breakage = priceless.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #125

Time to revisit the adjustable preload caps i found a few weeks ago.

To start, I ordered the allen head versions, so naturally I get sent the standard hex head. Not a huge problem, I am happy either way.

Side by side shot. If you don't already have different preload spacers or find the Hawk units are good for you, then with these you would basically replace them. They add about 12mm (est) of preload even with the adjustment screws all the way out. Then you can add about another 20mm of preload on top of that with the adjuster all the way in. The only other difference is the size of the hex head for the cap itself, which is 19mm vs. the original caps 17mm.

As far as fitment. They fit perfectly. The washer on the end that pushes against the spring has a small cotter pin that you will need to bend the legs around more so they sit inside of the spring ID. Otherwise, they are perfect.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
520 = piece of mind. The smaller chain means constant stretching/adjusting which means more sprocket wear, and a neglected 428 might break. A high quality 520 O-ring should only need one adjustment after break-in, and just replace it if it looks like it needs a second adjustment. If you do your sprockets will last forever. Also I don't lube any of my offroad chains, you're just putting glue on there for sediment to stick to. It can get a little expensive replacing the chain every year especially if you own a few bikes. But not having to worry about your chain and sprockets or breakage = priceless.
Well, yes, if you never lube a chain, going for an o-ring chain is a good idea. I've ridden off road a lot in my 65 years of riding, but I never wore out a chain on any of my bikes. But I did chain Maintainance, which consisted of washing it in warm kerosene, then immersing it for an hour in hot Gulf canning wax mixed with colloidal graphite. Once a year...ARH

Old 06-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #127

Quote:
Well, yes, if you never lube a chain, going for an o-ring chain is a good idea. I've ridden off road a lot in my 65 years of riding, but I never wore out a chain on any of my bikes. But I did chain Maintainance, which consisted of washing it in warm kerosene, then immersing it for an hour in hot Gulf canning wax mixed with colloidal graphite. Once a year...ARH
I'm sure the chain maintenance you're describing works well and saved you some money over the years. But nowadays us young whippersnappers (I'm 47) wouldn't even know where to find the wax and graphite or know how to heat kerosene lol. And what do you do with the kerosene after? And thanks to the internet a 520 O-ring is only $35 shipped to your front door. It costs double that to take my lady to dinner.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #128

Quote:
I'm sure the chain maintenance you're describing works well and saved you some money over the years. But nowadays us young whippersnappers (I'm 47) wouldn't even know where to find the wax and graphite or know how to heat kerosene lol. And what do you do with the kerosene after? And thanks to the internet a 520 O-ring is only $35 shipped to your front door. It costs double that to take my lady to dinner.
If you are spending 70 bucks to go out to dinner with your wife, you are living pretty high on the hog. I gotta admire a guy with your kind of money surfing along on the least expensive motor cycle on the American market. I mean it when I say I think it's great that you do, because you can have a lot of pleasure wrenching on a cheap, but basically good motor cycle....ARH
PS Gulf canning wax is sold in every Wal-Mart in the USA.

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 06-23-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added a post-script.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #129

Quote:
If you are spending 70 bucks to go out to dinner with your wife, you are living pretty high on the hog. I gotta admire a guy with your kind of money surfing along on the least expensive motor cycle on the American market. I mean it when I say I think it's great that you do, because you can have a lot of pleasure wrenching on a cheap, but basically good motor cycle....ARH
You must not go out much these days. Me and my lady just had a "date night" a couple of days ago. 1 ice tea, 1 water, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, and a split dessert =$60 plus tip. Neither of us are anywhere near wealthy, she has two kids, etc. Wasn't even a fancy place to eat lol.

I keep my expenses low specifically to feed my weird obsession with modifications and motorcycles.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #130

Quote:
I'm not wealthy by any means, but I do ok. I paid my place off early (the finance company hated that) in March and since then I have about $2000 a month for blow money after the bills are taken care of and paying my 2 employees. But any unscheduled vehicle repairs has to come out of that, along with date nights and other recreational activities. Buying the TBR7 this month was a little bit of a strain and it took money away from my other toys and projects, but realistically I could buy a China bike every month if I felt the need to. That's what I love about them and the cheap parts. But I do see a DRZ 400 in my future because I want more power speed and reliability.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #131

Quote:
I'm not wealthy by any means, but I do ok. I paid my place off early (the finance company hated that) in March and since then I have about $2000 a month for blow money after the bills are taken care of and paying my 2 employees. But any unscheduled vehicle repairs has to come out of that, along with date nights and other recreational activities. Buying the TBR7 this month was a little bit of a strain and it took money away from my other toys and projects, but realistically I could buy a China bike every month if I felt the need to. That's what I love about them and the cheap parts. But I do see a DRZ 400 in my future because I want more power speed and reliability.
That's why we have a different point of view I get about $1750 per month BEFORE I pay any bills. When I take my step-grand daughter out to eat, it's for breakfast, and it's tough to keep it under 10 bucks. ...ARH

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You must not go out much these days. Me and my lady just had a "date night" a couple of days ago. 1 ice tea, 1 water, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, and a split dessert =$60 plus tip. Neither of us are anywhere near wealthy, she has two kids, etc. Wasn't even a fancy place to eat lol.

I keep my expenses low specifically to feed my weird obsession with modifications and motorcycles.
I go out for breakfast at least 5 times a week. $30 bucks cover it, including tip...ARH

Old 06-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #133

Quote:
I go out for breakfast at least 5 times a week. $30 bucks cover it, including tip...ARH
Oh we have a cheap local diner we like to frequent about once a week. Lots of food for a very reasonable price. Usually lunch costs no more than 35 with tip included. It just depends where you go. It isn't hard to spend $70 at a "nicer" place though.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #134

Texas Roadhouse tonight. 2 thick bone in ribeyes with a side of ribs, 2 sides and loaded potato skins for an appetizer. Add on 3 margaritas with with Patrone double shots in each totalled $105 with 15% tip.

My father got very frugal with breakfast because it was 5 days a week in Florida. $2.10 for eggs toast and coffee with orange juice. And he bitched if I added on bacon or ham.

He seen it as almost a competition between him and the other snowbirds.

But let's get back to Dan's original post. He continues to amaze on a regular basis.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #135

Quote:
Texas Roadhouse tonight. 2 thick bone in ribeyes with a side of ribs, 2 sides and loaded potato skins for an appetizer. Add on 3 margaritas with with Patrone double shots in each totalled $105 with 15% tip.

My father got very frugal with breakfast because it was 5 days a week in Florida. $2.10 for eggs toast and coffee with orange juice. And he bitched if I added on bacon or ham.

He seen it as almost a competition between him and the other snowbirds.

But let's get back to Dan's original post. He continues to amaze on a regular basis.
Yeah, I see your point. But ARE THOSE GREEN BEANS? You paid $105.00 for a meal in a joint that serves green beans? Green beans are the go to veggie in every greasy spoon in America. I drove 18 wheelers for some years. The lousier the truckstop kitchen, the more sure you were of getting green beans. Nice looing lady, by the way...ARH