Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #106

I think your work is lovely.

These old bikes have such charm to them.

Like I said I get more compliments on Little Sweetie than I do on any other bike, including the Gold Wing. I'm sure you and your XL 175/200 will also garner many compliments and bring smiles and happy memories to many people.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
SOK brakes. Horrible I think I could have stopped it better using an old leather belt glued to the shoes. I got them from Ebay. OEM were twice as expensive but I guess I should have known better. I still need to replace the rear and will go OEM Honda. I know they work.

I have heard good things about the powder gun from Eastwood so I will likely get their kit. To start off with I will get an old oven But I would like to build an oven big enough for a frame. (I have seen plans online Using oven elements for heat) But that is down the road.

The shocks are ebay specials, RFY (china) They actually work very well and I got them for 90 shipped. (scratch and dent sale they normally go for 110.00 shipped. ) The xl uses the same size as an RD350. I knew about them and was willing to try them as an RD I fixed last year for a guy had them and they rode decent. (Not as nice as Works shocks but they arn't 500.00 either) they are rebuildable also. (Important for guys like you and me. )

Had a great ride to work, Only issue was very minor, I need to adjust the idle mix. When I sit idling for a few mins it revs up a little. (lean I think)
Other than that it worked great.
Thanks for the heads-up on SOK brakes. When you said "I could have stopped it better using an old leather belt glued to the shoes", I had visions of Fred Flintstone.

I've also heard good things about the Eastwood kit, and a guy on a TW forum used an old oven that got free on CL (due to a cracked top). My buddy and I considered a kit like that, but I'd also like to have an oven large enough for a frame. Please point to the link that has oven plans.

Do you have a seller's name for the RFY shocks?

I'd be inclined to think that the slow jet is a little small; what size are you running now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #108

ophir4u is the ebay seller for the shocks.

Yea the SOK brakes where THAT bad. (like yikes. with both brakes It would stop very slowly. the rear where stopping better than the front.)

I saw the info on the bigger oven in ADV and Will see if I can re-find it.

As for the jet I don't remember the size, I will try the air screw as I adjusted it when in the yard. (and it was under 50 Deg F this am that could be the bigger issue here. )

Thanks for the info.
http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/ for one type.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=ct70&page=2 go down the page for his design.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #109

A too-small slow jet will be more obvious in cooler weather. Did it take awhile to warm up?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #110

Yea it is cold blooded. I guess I will have to yank the carb when I get a chance and see where I am at.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #111

Please tell us more about how you acquired the shock absorber.

P.S. If the engine idles much higher when hot, the pilot mixture screw (PMS) might be set too rich.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #112

I posted the sellers ebay name in the other post. For the cost they are decent, time will tell how they hold up.

Hot it idles fine just after a min or so the Rpms pick up. I rev the engine and it settles back down for the same amount of time. I will see what it does on the ride home tonight. So yes I guess it could be rich.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #113

I didn't realize there was another page of posts until after I made my last post. Boy, you guys get on a roll, and post away like crazy some times! I'm very surprised you caught me Gloud! You posted just two minutes after I did, before I could delete my question!

Thanks for the links on the shocks. The power coating oven looks like a fun project! If you decide to build the oven, please do post a thread in our Miscellaneous Forum!

If the bike revs much higher at idle when hot, the pilot mixture screw is probably too rich. Twisting the throttle will drop the idle speed temporarily, but the high idle will quickly return.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #114

I am a computer tech by trade so I am at the Puter all day. So I caught ya, lol. I think I will wander out to the bike with a small screwdriver in hand and adjust the air screw out a little. Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #115

On the trip home it behaved better after the adjustments. But I will tell you it either runs or it don't when you cold start it. It will be running and then just die. (sitting warming up) no sputter or anything.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #116

It still sounds to me like it's struggling to sip fuel from the slow jet. If it's a #20, I'd recommend a #25.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #117

Glenn, I went back to the beginning of this post, and I couldn't find any real detail about your 12v conversion. I'm not specifically interested in that part, but I am looking for info on the stator in your GY-5. I have a 230cc pushrod that is virtually identical, but it lacks the headlight coil. I'm wondering if it's there, but not tapped, because there is one blank terminal on the connector from the stator. Do you happen to have any pics of the stator or the connector? I need to figure out how to connect a headlight to this stator for street use.

BTW, my #25 slow jet reference is only valid if you're using a 30mm Mikuni.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #118

Stock carb now. It isn't enough of a bother for now but I may go to a Mikuni. As it is SO sensitive to the adjustments on the slow adjustment I think you are right.

As to the stator no pics as I have not cracked this engine at all. (surprising for me LOL) I will take a pic of the connector tonight for you.

As I reused the Lifan wiring harness, most of my 12v conversion was replacing bulbs in the xl signals.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #119

It would sure be nice to get ahold of a complete Lifan DS harness. Alas, they're rare birds around here. Thanks for offering to take a pic of the connector.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #120

I didn't have time this am as I had to get the bike inspected. (Passed with compliments from the Harley shop LOL)