Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #106

8O
I like V-twins, I can listen to that rumble all day!

You might think I'm crazy, :twisted: but I sometimes put on my helmet, fire up the Harley, and lounge with my feet on the handlebars, and my head resting against the sissybar...For the price of a few minutes of idle gas, you get a relaxing massage

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #107

That's just funny!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo
well man you can always get a rd400 or a rz350. my rd kept me on my toes and very busy and I never got it just right. :( sold it to get my house.
Sincerely Word!

10 years and I still haven't perfected mine! ALthough, I have to admit the freakin' thing has only been out of the shed about 10 times max. I'm kind of getting to the point where I like electric start, and runnign the same plugs for more than 200mi!

There's what you need IronFist! 1974 Yamaha RD350! A source of never ending agrevat, er, uhm, A never ending source of learning oppurtunities!

--Vince

Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #109

Sounds like a good second bike

If it weren't for my cb350 guru I'd be lost, that's the truth. Since I'm Canadian I can only insure 1 bike, and it had better be dependable cause our season is very short. I can't afford to miss a single sunny day. I like the dependability of BMW but I haven't seen a 400cc bmw anywhere, and I couldn't afford it anyway. I can't really find a small, dependable, lite weight bike cheap, besides my cb. I kinda like the 450 nighthawk and its a bit newer, lots of parts and not too expensive. Hmmmm :roll:

I always wanted a virago 250 till I drove one for my motorcycle test. I like old bikes but they aren't the best for long rides. I saw a Kawi W650 at my dentist. Nice looking bike. Great for long rides. New, but looks old. It's still too big, but it didn't scare me like other 650 machines I've seen. But it's a rare bike, and I figure parts would be a deal breaker.

I've decided to keep the cb for a while, at least next year. Now I'm looking for a hurting bike with papers, that needs work, but would still look good as cafe racer. That would be a fun project I think.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #110

Maybe a Royal Enfield Bullet 500?

I dunno, I like Cr's and the like, *but* Cafe and Replica bikes make me do stupid things. For the first 6 years I had the RD all kitted out with the Clip Ons, rear sets, Docked Heads, Ported out, etc. After 4 years, it got relegated to second bike status, and I kinda found I would take chances on the RD I never would with a more cruiser=type bike (at that time a CB500T)

Maybe it's just me, and I don't have the mental discipline to keep it cool on a hot bike, but now the RD is more or less back to stock form, and I still have fun with it, but less stupidly. (With a few notable exceptions.)

--Or at least that's what I tell people instead of,"My knees are shot"

--Vince

Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #111

Remember Vince I only have the cash to insure 1 bike. The racer would be a build project that I could sell to someone for a profit. It would be up to the new owner not to stunt. (burnouts infront of cops :P ) One of the things I like about my old CB is the front drum. It forces me to slow down and leave more room to maneuver. I don't trust myself with a monster bike. I ride with destination in mind, not pushing the limits. That's not to say a semi won't get me. There is always a chance of that.

If I can't have a second bike, I'd like to work on one.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #112

I try not to go on and on about my cb, but in case anyone is intrested I'm starting the next phase of my build.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...2_itemId=10382
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...2_itemId=10385

Thanks again Kato for your help.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #113

Glad to see you've got it happening! Was that a shiny new set of Keihin's I saw there in the foreground?

Should be an interesting winter for ya'!

--Vince

Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #114

Darn Vince, I wrote a long reply and it didn't update.

60 mm Mikuni's.
.25 over pistons and ring kit, eletronic ignition kit, valves, oil seals, gaskets, endless cam chain, teflon cam chain tentioner, battery strap, steering stem nut,++. More in the mail but I can't type it twice :oops: Gonna run as nice as it looks now. :wink:

Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #115

I can't wait to see the finished bike.

Allen

Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #116

Any idea when the bike will be ready to post pics here?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #117

A month or 2. I'm in no hurry cause of the weather. Today's chore is to de-spoke some very nice rims I bought and polish them up. I tried to take the tires off my wheels but started to dammage the rim and stoppped. 1 company has been giving me deals for a while now, they have some items I still want including tire irons that have a rubber roller that does not dammage the chrome of the rims.

Saturday I'll get the tires taken off my old riding rims and start tearing them down. I have spokes coming from Bangkok. Nice rims, new spokes, and I'll pollish up the the front and rear drum hubs of the original wheels.

The next big job is my handlebar when it comes, all the wires run through the tubes so it's a bit of a chore

If I could find a brand new gas tank I'd press "Buy it NOW!" Then scramble to find a way to pay, but I wouldn't pass up the oppertunity. I'm still undecided about what to do with my seat. Flat looks old and cool, but it does not feel right after riding a more modern bike. My bony butt is gonna wreck this seat in a year or two. I'm not a patient person, this bike has taught me to slow down a bit. I've been putting parts away for this phase of the build for a year now. I'm going out to the garrage now to pick up my frame and carry down to my warm basement.
Once I get the motor back, I'll set it up with the old carbs, outside and get it running. Once I switch to the good carbs I'll sell off all my old parts. Even if I sell only a few things it should pay for my insurance this year.

Picture wise, the bike shouldn't look too much different. In person you should be able to get 5 feet closer to the bike without seeing anything ugly, but the motor should be better and even more reliable than stock.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #118

Just don't do the final assembly in the basement.

Allen

Old 12-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #119

8O

Final assembly is outside!

I have a lot of polishing to do. The bike is all in tiny pieces, I don't want to loose anything, so it's layed out so I can clean and polish and put back to it's spot until needed. :wink:

Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #120

I have heard of people assembly a project in the basement before thinking about how they will get it out when its done.

Allen