Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #106

Thanks Spud, I've said it before, this is a great enthusiast forum, I love the insight and friendliness here. This is my third Christmas in Peru, we went to Charito's mother's casa for a family gathering, the tradition here is to serve dinner at midnight. Families were in the streets most of the night celebrating the Advent with fireworks, it's amazing to see. Feliz Navidad amigos y Feliz 2012

OG

Old 12-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #107

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Miss Charito as well, OG. You continue to bless us with amazing photos, and I'm very grateful. Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #108

I stopped by another shop today, the mechanic welded and reinforced my top rack, built base to attach my Rotopax and extended the heat shield on my exhaust (for the soft luggage) total cost was 25 soles, that's about US $9.50. I really like these small shops, the mechanics can repair anything, this was actually a muffler shop, the mechanics build all the mufflers that they install. Thanks for the greeting Weld.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #109

We'd be lucky to find a muffler shop in North America that even knows how to build a muffler, let alone work at those rates.

Have you considered allowing the local muffler guy to operate on your moto muffler? It would be a bit louder, but there's power hiding in there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #110

I love the parrot type bird in the shop. (I don't know much about birds to guess it's species.) I bet it's there to critisize any poor welds, or grinds for that matter. LOL! :P

Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #111

I'm surprised that it can live in that environment. Sort of a canary in a coal mine.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #112

Weld, Opening up the exhaust is good idea, I need to get more power at high elevations, I wonder if that would help. Doc, I was very surprised to see a parrot in that shop, I could´t get it to talk though. I´m still in Ayacucho heading to Andahuaylas tomorrow. On a side note,the Dakar has started, they will make it into Peru late next week. Jincheng has two JC 450 Y´s entered http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/rider/094.html A lot of knowledgeable Dakar enthusiasts believe that there is no such moto (JC 450Y) and that they are actually Yamahas with Jincheng stickers on them.

Vendedora de la famosa coca en Huanta, Ayacucho, Perú.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #113

That's cocoa?

Yes, opening the muffler would definitely help, but you'd need to fatten the main and slow jets to compensate and maintain an appropriate air / fuel ratio. The restriction that the stock pipe creates costs power, so a free-flowing pipe would alleviate the restriction. With a 200cc moto and a Mikuni, I'd recommend a 110 main jet and a 25 slow jet up to about 1000 feet. Anything consistently higher would require even fatter jets.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #114

Of course, with increasing altitude, the air becomes thinner. Therefore, the fuel mixture becomes richer as altitude increases, and the carburetor jets need to get smaller, and leaner.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I love the parrot type bird in the shop. (I don't know much about birds to guess it's species.) I bet it's there to critisize any poor welds, or grinds for that matter. LOL! :P
Looks like a red crowned Amazon. We had one as a pet when I was growing up, my dad raised it from a baby. His name was Gilligan. He talked and sang, but only when nobody was paying attention to him. He recently died; I think he was 27 years old and lived the last 8 years with one leg after a rat tried to get into his cage.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Of course, with increasing altitude, the air becomes thinner. Therefore, the fuel mixture becomes richer as altitude increases, and the carburetor jets need to get smaller, and leaner.

Spud
Thanks for catching my error, Spud.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #117

Amigos, thanks for the exhaust and jetting advice. I saw several of the Mototaxi adventure riders on the road the other day, looks like they were heading towards Ayacucho, I´ve also been exchanging emails with Mark (Timx) and we will meet when I return to Lima later this week. Charito and I returned from Machu Picchu last night, I´d have to say it is the most incredible place that I have ever visited, here are a few photos.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #118

Wow! I'm amazed that you're permitted to walk through that area. The Mayan ruins at Tulum in Mexico are off limits to foot traffic. Thanks for continuing to share your pics with us.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #119

Thanks for posting the wonderful photos, OG. Please do keep us updated regarding your contacts with Tim.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #120

I rode rode my Mavila down to Ica, Peru where I met my amigo, Kurt, the next morning we headed down to Nazca and caught up the the Dakar, a lot of wind, heat and deep sand. The Mavila held up well but I was worried about the clutch after getting stuck in the sand several times. I headed back yesterday.
Mark (Timx) is staying with us for a few days, he is waiting on his plates, sorting out his route and getting everything ready, Charito is helping him with a few Spanish phrases, if all goes as planned he will be on the road Wednesday. He is our kind of rider, his experience includes Saigon-Da Nang on a 125cc scooter! Today we are going to try some some short term insurance, I'll post some photos of his moto later in the week.

Ica, Peru

The Dakar, south of Nazca

OG