Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #106

Just watch out about using Rotella in vehicles with O2 sensors.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Just watch out about using Rotella in vehicles with O2 sensors.
I've heard that ZDDP has been greatly reduced/phased out of Rotella over the last few years. Even before it was...many of us were using it in oxygen sensor/catalytic vehicles without problems- including in my van which has 270,000 miles on it, and has not needed an O2 sensor in the 7 years I've had it. (Quite frankly, I was ignorant of the ZDDP issue in the past )

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #108

I think it was especially good for the bearings. Sounds like a good all around oil.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #109

Well thanks for the input, got it all put together and did the first two oil changes, taking it out tomorrow. Fired up right away, haven't had to do any adjustments to the carb. Purrs like a kitten Front shocks seem a little hard, other than that I am blown away.

Neighbor saw me putting it together, came over talking about how he's a big Kawasaki fan (I got the green one) heh apparently he's not THAT big of a fan to mistake the two

Thanks again for the input and the thread, and I'll agree with everyone else in saying this is a flat out amazing machine considering what I paid it's almost too good to be true!

EDIT:Put the atv through the works today, everything but jumped it. Very fast, wow. Only lost one screw (to the clutch handle none the less) so going to give it a good once over tomorrow. Also needs a vented gas cap. Kept stalling out on me, had to open the tank and give it about 30 seconds and it fired right back up. Finally got smart and started randomly venting as I rode. Other than that no problems at all. 8)

Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #110

Leave it to me to get the defective things!

First the rear brakes...now the carb!

Now that the motor's fairly well broken in, I went to adjust the carb- as I was having a little idle issue (Had to turn the idle speed up when I first got it, to keep it from stalling when cold....but then it idles too fast when warm)- so I go to turn the mixture screw all the way in..and guess what? It already was all the way in!

So I tried turning it out...but after just about 1/2 a turn, turning it out makes gas pee-pee from the overflow hose!! (and turning the screw has absolutely no effect on the speed of the motor).

Guess I have to call Tim tomorrow while I'm waiting for those brake parts.... (It also has a slight miss and often does light backfires through the exhaust- spark plug looks good though...)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #111

Are you sure thats the mixture screw?

Most carbs have a screw that will allow you to drain the fuel from the carb as you described.

Can you post a few pictures of the carb ? (both sides and underneath)

On our bike the air/fuel mixture screw is on the bottom on the front side of carb (pain to get at) but there are a few different carb setups out there so yours might be different.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyDonkey
Had to turn the idle speed up when I first got it, to keep it from stalling when cold....but then it idles too fast when warm
Man sorry about your run of bad luck there KentuckyDonkey I did notice that as the bike warmed up the idle got higher and higher. I had my neighbor come check it out and we got it adjusted just right (it's the screw with the spring on it, if that helps.) Never had any leaks. If you'd like some pictures I can take a couple when I get home.

I also wanted to see if anyone had done any tooling on these shocks. I adjusted the preload nuts to better suit my weight (was told they are usually set to a 165lb rider) and I am wondering if that is the only 'adjustment' the shocks are capable of? I feel every single pebble on this bike and I'm having no luck finding after market shocks. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #113

KentuckyDonkey.

I think the screw you are trying to adjust is the carb drain screw. You should look at a screw up a little higher on the carb, and you should find it is open at least a turn. It should be be about right between 2 and 3 turns. Hope this is helpful, I am so very busy and have to get to work, good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #114

O-K guys.....I believe this is the mixture screw, here at the bottom of the bowl. It looks like the only screw on the carb that fits the bill.

Huh? HUH??!!

It is turned ALL the way in (like that when I got it)

Tim seems to think that the float is bent/stuck- but I don't see how that can be, when the bike runs great and has no drivability issues.

To recap: If this mixture screw is turned out, it has no effect on the motor's speed.

If it is turned out, it will start making gas pour from the overflow/vent tube, even after just 1/4-1/2 turn.

In order to get bike to idle without finger on throttle when cold, had to turn idle speed up; But now it idles too fast when warm.

Pops/backfires lightly through exhaust.

Ideas?

(or is this indeed the wrong screw...and I'm a complete doofus???)

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #115

Yep, that is the wrong screw!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
You're shi.....errr....kidding me?!

Hmmm....well that is actually GOOD news, because it means my carb can probably be adjusted then, and there is probably nothing wrong with it.

But I don't see any other screws that fit the bill on the carb- any idears where to look?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyDonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
You're shi.....errr....kidding me?!

Hmmm....well that is actually GOOD news, because it means my carb can probably be adjusted then, and there is probably nothing wrong with it.

But I don't see any other screws that fit the bill on the carb- any idears where to look?

Thanks!
He's not kidding you; that's the carburetor drain screw. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
…Can you post a few pictures of the carb ? (both sides and underneath)

On our bike the air/fuel mixture screw is on the bottom on the front side of carb (pain to get at) but there are a few different carb setups out there so yours might be different.
If you post the photos TC mentioned, I am sure we can help you find and adjust your pilot mixture screw.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #118

I believe it is the brass colored screw near that green wire to the bottom front of the carb.

Allen

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #119

Ohh...I'll bet it's this upside-down gold thingie, eh?

I didn't even notice that till I took the picture...heh...I'm half blind- or more like 4/5ths....

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #120

Well thanks, Allen & everyone! (You beat me to it, Allen!).

Now that I have the right screw...I should be good to go.

Any advice appreciated though!

Lets see, it's been a while- but I think it goes something like this:

Turn mixture all the way in.
Back out two turns.
Adjust idle to proper speed.
Piddle with mixture c.1/2 turn in either direction till I ghet the fastest revs.
Repeat the above 2 steps ad infinitum until it's right.
?????

One question: How do I know if if the needle thingie in the top of the carb needs to be adjusted as opposed to the mixture/idle?

And here i was blaming my poor Vbike, and ready to disassemble the carb and check the float! (Poor little innocent Vbike! Oh, my poor baby!)

Thanks again guys- these forums are great!