Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Are you driving with the headlights off? Might be signaling to turn your headlights on. Or You have you bright lights on and they are flashing you because it's blinding them. I never had anyone flash there lights at me.
Diving with headlights on, and high beams on during the day. Not driving at night because I don’t have my license yet—just permit. But I’ve stood in front of the Templar and the bright beams aren’t that bad. I’m probably just being paranoid.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtemplar250 View Post
Diving with headlights on, and high beams on during the day. Not driving at night because I don’t have my license yet—just permit. But I’ve stood in front of the Templar and the bright beams aren’t that bad. I’m probably just being paranoid.
Well that explains it. You will be surprised how bright a high beam is to oncoming traffic even during the day.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-11-2023, 12:29 PM   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If you order one and it comes by R&L Carriers the seller should give you a tracking number at some point. If you go to R&L's site it looks like you have to sign up with them to track it. Not so, go to this page and simply enter your tracking number. Posting this because it is not at all obvious that you can do this.

https://www.rlcarriers.com/freight/s...ipment-tracing
It sounds like your crate is close!

Old 02-11-2023, 05:18 PM   #1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Well that explains it. You will be surprised how bright a high beam is to oncoming traffic even during the day.
Wow—you are 100% right. I parked my bike while running and stood out 30 yards, and I cannot believe how bright it is during the day.

Thanks for helping me sort it out!

Old 02-11-2023, 07:20 PM   #1145

Some of my mod parts have arrived aready. Tracking shows my bike was in Salt Lake City as of yesterday with a scheduled delivery of the 16th.
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 02-11-2023, 07:47 PM   #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Some of my mod parts have arrived already. Tracking shows my bike was in Salt Lake City as of yesterday with a scheduled delivery of the 16th.
Some delivery drivers (R&L) will just put it on the driveway, no compromises! It depends on your situation and ease of driveway access. Maybe you have a roadway to your house (gravel, etc). That helps since they will put it there, at least. But if not, maybe have a trailer that the driver is willing to place it on. This is what I asked for (2 deliveries). That way, I could throw a tarp over it, put it where I want it until the weekend, or sunny day...

Old 02-12-2023, 12:24 AM   #1147

I bought a 110cc China quad for my grandson back in 6/2021. R&L was the carrier handling the shipping/delivery at that time. Once it arrived at the final terminal (Portland) before delivery, it sat there for four days! The first day it showed it was being delivered, so I took the day off from work so I would be home when it arrived. No show. Days two and three both showed on those mornings that it was on the truck for delivery only to be later removed when I rechecked later in the day. On day four I went to the terminal demanding to know what was going on. Was told due to short staffing and to many deliveries it hadn't been delivered but was out for delivery that day. Not thirty minutes after I got home, the truck arrived and unloaded it in my driveway. The driver was cool, and I knew he was only doing his job/had nothing to do with the issues at the terminal so I kept cool and thanked him for the delivery. I'm hoping things go much smoother this time.
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 02-14-2023, 01:24 PM   #1148

R&L shipping blues. It looked OK with the shrink wrap on but was apparently packed between two running chainsaws and a bored pitbull.
Left side looked pretty good.

Right side maybe an issue.

Uh-oh.

Crap. Giant rub that almost put a hole in the gas tank. It doesn't show well in the picture but the tank damage is worse than the side cover. 3/4's of the tank damage is covered by the added side plastic though.

Left side has just some nibbling on the side cover.

I assembled it last night. Mostly. I don't have any gas yet but I changed the oil. I was a bit thrown to see almost no moisture protection in the electrical connectors so I gonked a lot of them with dialectric silicone while assembling. There are more I could stand to hunt down and treat. Put Loc Tite on about everything I touched.

Earlier in the thread mention was made of sagging taillight wires. I have that. Mulling how I want to deal with them. No grommet where the wires pass through the rear fender, not thrilled with that either. By the way, there seem to be a few extra wires/connectors in the taillight harness that are unused. Anyone know what those are right off?

Still to do, tire pressures, spoke check, yank carb for jet change. One of the bolt holes for a passenger peg went screwy. Might have to retap the threads or something.

Anyway this evening I plan to gas it up and run around the yard a bit. Haven't seen the MSO papers yet. Considering whether or not I will bug the vendor about the cosmetic shipping damage.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #1149

Definitely contact them about the damage, they will either have and send you the parts or refund you some money.. plus i think if the vendors wind up paying out more than expected in damage claims, then they will work to ensure future deliveries are handled better

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-14-2023, 03:33 PM   #1150

D@mned shippers

Looks like another case of loose cargo bouncing on the crate during transport. Irresponsible driver loaded that item that landed on your Templar. PSM will replace the plastics for you. Send your photos to PSM, and they will order the parts. Seat too, it appears. Don't be shy. Ask for EVERY damaged part. Just document with photos. Could take some time for non-stock items. It is a new bike. The damage is unacceptable.

On the taillight wiring. Use black zip strips if you are concerned about cosmetics
(post #10 in the Templar resource guide)
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...3&postcount=10

Simple fix and can hardly see it. I deliberately used orange zip strips!

Nice "color" choice btw. I love the way the black/grey white is done. Awesome!

Last edited by Thumper; 02-14-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:52 PM   #1151

All right. I'll email them.

This little sucker is TALL. I love that the rear suspension that actually gives, a lot. Jumping onto the old XL175 is like jumping onto a sawhorse. Barely any give in the rear with those old school shocks. Flipside is that when I go to step off it feels like I'm going to get catapulted the rest of the way. Lowering this thing a bit just went high on the to-do list. Tweaking actual shock settings will wait until I get out and bounce around a bit with it.

I would call it "chafing" damage. Something it was jammed up next to bounced, a lot, over EVERY single bump. There was plastic debris like sawdust on the engine case where it had been ground off. Seat got a touch of the damage right on the lower edge. Upon removing it and flipping it over it appears the upholstery was overstretched a bit going on and it has two more similar little edge splits. I have some vinyl repair stuff that worked on another bike seat I think I'll use and let it go. Thinking of an aftermarket seat cover in any case. Not sure if I care for the stock one or not.

Part of my color choice was the other color combos reminded me of various other brand bikes and I'd rather not have it mistaken for one of those.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:47 PM   #1152

Adjustable AC CDI

The Naraku adjustable CDI came in today. Looks interesting. No instructions. Sealed bag. OK.

The description from the Amazon posting sez, "The timing adjustment screw is set in the middle from the factory and has approximately 12 to 13 turns in either direction to advance or retard the timing. The screw clicks into place at each setting."

Hmm. So does that mean clockwise for advance, counter for retard? OH! I JUST found this on Racing Planet "clockwise to advance or anti-clockwise to retard."... Makes sense.

It is made for a GY6 engine, but these things are pretty universal. It might not work. But it might. It is for a 4 stroke engine, it is AC, and it has the same pinouts. Hmmmm!!!?? I think I really need to get it in for a neutral timing functional test. I mean, all these do is send a trigger signal to the coil based on a signal from the stator pickup. It is capacitance Discharge. It either has enough voltage in the capacitor or not, and it either triggers in the correct timing range (0 to 10degrees BTDC, right???) or not, right. And it is adjustable. It seems like it should work.

I did test my connector and the power in lead is NOT hot (12VDC) when the ignition is on, so that should mean it is a AC unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BaggedCDI.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	28585

Name:	BaggedCDIscrew.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	28584

Name:	CDIcloseUP.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	28586

Also more info here HERE:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32071

Last edited by Thumper; 02-15-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:08 PM   #1153

Well another nail in the coffin. Went out and put gas in it. Cranked up very shortly and with no issue. Popping lean, as was expected but sounds pretty good and happy other than that.

Dripping fuel. Great. Pulled the left fuel tank cover to see gas leaking at the front corner seam line of the tank. No shipping damage apparent in this area, must be a defect. Though the plastic appears to be some version HPDE which makes it very weldable, yep, time to call this one in. Still pretty pleased with it, despite the issues.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:38 AM   #1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The Naraku adjustable CDI came in today. Looks interesting. No instructions. Sealed bag. OK.

The description from the Amazon posting sez, "The timing adjustment screw is set in the middle from the factory and has approximately 12 to 13 turns in either direction to advance or retard the timing. The screw clicks into place at each setting."

Hmm. So does that mean clockwise for advance, counter for retard? Gee. I found this on Racing Planet "clockwise to advance or anti-clockwise to retard."... Makes sense.

It is made for a GY6 engine, but these things are pretty universal. It might not work. But it might. It is for a 4 stroke engine, it is AC, and it has the same pinouts. Hmmmm!!!?? I think I really need to get it in for a neutral timing functional test. I mean, all these do is send a trigger signal to the coil based on a signal from the stator pickup. It is capacitance Discharge. It either has enough voltage in the capacitor or not, and it either triggers in the correct range or not, right. And it is adjustable. It seems like it should work.

I did test my connector and the power in lead is NOT hot (12VDC) when the ignition is on, so that should mean it is a AC unit.

Attachment 28585
Attachment 28584
Attachment 28586

The stock CDI unit is here
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...35&postcount=9
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost.php?p=390235 (post #9)

Also more info here HERE:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32071
I did not know such a thing even existed-would be ideal for our application.
Very nice
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 02-15-2023, 07:39 AM   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Well another nail in the coffin. Went out and put gas in it. Cranked up very shortly and with no issue. Popping lean, as was expected but sounds pretty good and happy other than that.

Dripping fuel. Great. Pulled the left fuel tank cover to see gas leaking at the front corner seam line of the tank. No shipping damage apparent in this area, must be a defect. Though the plastic appears to be some version HPDE which makes it very weldable, yep, time to call this one in. Still pretty pleased with it, despite the issues.
Dude, that all sucks. Really sucks.
Praying it all comes together for ya!
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”