Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #91

Where are you sourcing your front sprocket from?

Just curious where you will be getting the front sprocket from? I will most likely grab the same for my friends quad. I sent her a bunch of links from ebay on 250 and 450 TRX Honda Recon suspension. I hope she picks some up since it would be a remarkable improvement over the stock stuff. I did what you suggested and lowered all the suspension to the lowest setting but it really is not a significant improvement. She wants to dump the china quad (she was going to sell it to a construction guy for $800!), but I want her to give it a chance with a few small mods. She now has the Rhino and the 250 Honda Recon semi auto and really just gravitates towards the Honda (although it was supposed to be for HER girlfriend lol). It is a little upsetting since this was a birthday gift for her, but I figure once I make these small adjustments she may love it even more than the Recon...I hope.

Her complaints about the Rhino are the suspension and not peppy enough out of the gate. I figure dropping 2 teeth up front and ordering some 2004 250 TRX Recon suspension for $150 all around is a reasonable upgrade for her. If it gets to carburetor and exhaust that may be a different story.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by funonemax View Post
Just curious where you will be getting the front sprocket from? I will most likely grab the same for my friends quad. I sent her a bunch of links from ebay on 250 and 450 TRX Honda Recon suspension. I hope she picks some up since it would be a remarkable improvement over the stock stuff. I did what you suggested and lowered all the suspension to the lowest setting but it really is not a significant improvement. She wants to dump the china quad (she was going to sell it to a construction guy for $800!), but I want her to give it a chance with a few small mods. She now has the Rhino and the 250 Honda Recon semi auto and really just gravitates towards the Honda (although it was supposed to be for HER girlfriend lol). It is a little upsetting since this was a birthday gift for her, but I figure once I make these small adjustments she may love it even more than the Recon...I hope.

Her complaints about the Rhino are the suspension and not peppy enough out of the gate. I figure dropping 2 teeth up front and ordering some 2004 250 TRX Recon suspension for $150 all around is a reasonable upgrade for her. If it gets to carburetor and exhaust that may be a different story.
I haven't shopped a sprocket yet but it's on the list. I'll probably get it from JT Sprockets like I did my last ones. I was kinda shocked when I uncrated it and saw a 520 chain! The sprocket I have from my Xmoto won't work with that. It's a 428 I think.

I wish she could take a ride on my Rhino. The suspension still basically sucks but I'm not to worried about that since I'll use it as a work mule....but with the carb, jetting, breather and now the FMF TC2 exhaust, it really woke it up, especially regarding throttle response. Very crisp now. I think I have a grand total of about 50.00 +/- into the mods, not counting exhaust. They go for about 100.00 but I had that on the shelf already.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #93

Cheap Mod Gone WAY Overboard!

Well, there I was wandering Harbor Freight with a fist full of Super Coupons and a marked up add sheet that looked like flannel by then...and I ran across ammo boxes for about 4.00 each. I thought Mrs. 2LZ and her dad are constantly reloading so I grab boxes for a steel when I can.

Then I got home....and the gears started turning. The Rhino is a work mule that will be hauling garden tools and stuff up and down our hill and I thought. "We need a fixed place for water bottles, small sheers, etc... I'm not to worried about them being in the way and at this price, if I back one into a fence post, so what. Cheap enough to replace, right? Im the meantime, it's cheap storage.

I did go a wee overboard on the mounting but at least they won't break from vibration and can take a few knocks along the way. I ended up using a bunch of stuff from past projects so I was covered there....plus I ran across some Harbor Freight drawer liner so I thought "Why not?"

Anyway, they came gray so the Krylon Fusion came in handy....and most importantly, the size was right to not stick out past the rack cover in the sides, nor do they cover the center hole as I'll be adding a small platform between the boxes in the frame to make another stash area.

Anyway, small idea got out of hand.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 08-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #94

Good plan! Not wheelie-proof, so keep the rubber side down.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #95

More Cheap Mods

The Rhino and the 250D (not sure about the others) have this cool stash area that was crying for usage. One of the reasons I was so tickled with the ammo boxes is that they were just wide enough not to cover the middle hole I wanted to utilize.

So, under the house to root through my junk. I had my mind on a chunk of expanded metal I know I have somewhere but settled on a thin piece of plywood for the moment. Being a China Rider, (cheap), I try to use what I have on hand.

I measured, cut and fit the ply, then drilled and painted it.
Then, lined the frame tubes with some weather stripping I had handy to quell vibration. A few specifically placed zip ties and viola! Shelf!

After that, I busted out the HFT Super Coupon bag, mini-compressor and an old tire plug kit, plus the factory tool kit and stuck it all in there. Of course, the matching bungee is a must! ;-)

Instant Emergency Field Kit!...nicely stashed out of the way.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #96

Excellent use of space! I knew I should have grabbed that HFT bag...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #97

Cheap "Wal-mod" today

So I got bored. Added some extra plug-in power under the Rhino seat. Now the mini-compressor will plug right in!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Well, there I was wandering Harbor Freight with a fist full of Super Coupons and a marked up add sheet that looked like flannel by then...and I ran across ammo boxes for about 4.00 each.
Hey - thanks for this. I was looking around for a cheap source of these earlier today to actually store ammo. I hit Harbor Freight all the time - just didn't make the connection for those.

It's the only place I still buy crap on impulse. Hard to stop sometimes with all the "super coupons." I'd be lying if I didn't admit to having a couple of extras of the same tool laying around here and there because the deal was just as good the 2nd time.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
It's the only place I still buy crap on impulse.
Tell me about it. It's an illness. Since I live WAY out of town and the closest HFT is 1.5 hours.... I keep a small case in my Jeep and store the most recent HFT adds in it, just in case I'm in the general vacinity when I get to Sac.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #100

Rhino (167FMM) gearing

FYI- For those with a 520 chain Rhino or 250D, I took off the countershaft sprocket yesterday to mic all the pertainent measurements yesterday so I could hit JT Sprockets this morning and order a one tooth smaller sprocket. The Rhino came with a 12 tooth and I wanted an 11.

Seems that the smallest sprocket I can find is either a 13 or a 12 and I did notice while measuring that the sprocket was already pretty small as opposed to how many teeth could be removed.

Looks like our options for some granny gearing may need to be done by the rear sprocket instead. The chain guard leaves tons of room for a larger sprocket. I'll have to tear down and measure.

If anyone with a Rhino or 250D with a 520 chain has got a Pt# for smaller front sprocket or a Pt# for a larger rear, I'd love to hear from you!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #101

HA HA, I bought that 12 tooth already on ebay. I think it was $8 to my door, but Next time I am driving I will throw a 10 dollar bill out the window, at least it will do someone else some good lol.

I will wait to see what comes up for the rear sprocket, looks like we are going that route...

Old 02-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #102

Newbie!

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum since before Christmas and used it to make the decision to buy some TaoTao wheelers for my kids and I for Christmas. I will be posting some of the modifications that I have made and will be making to my ATA-250 (pretty much a Rhino, but no plastic racks).

So, my rides:
Mine - 2015 TaoTao ATA-250 200cc Camo Manual 4/N/R
Son #1 - 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 110cc Camo Automatic D/N/R
Son #2 - 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 110cc Spiderweb Red Auto D/N/R

I do have one question regarding a mod that I am trying to do: I want to put a hitch on the back. I already have a hitch in the front (pics will be posted soon). I an thinking of a custom build using the rear swing arm and the mounting bolts for the spring...

Has anyone else made a hitch for the rear?

Old 02-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #103

Front Mounted Hitch

Here are pics of my front mounted tow hitch. I use to move my trailer into the back yard after I unload after a trip.

I purchased one of those Bolt-On Bumper mounts from Walmart, inverted it and used the mounting bolts and tabs that came with it to simply "clamp" it onto the support bars for the brush guard. Works perfectly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5446.jpg (53.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5450.JPG (90.6 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5449.jpg (65.2 KB, 301 views)

Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhoard View Post
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum since before Christmas and used it to make the decision to buy some TaoTao wheelers for my kids and I for Christmas. I will be posting some of the modifications that I have made and will be making to my ATA-250 (pretty much a Rhino, but no plastic racks).

So, my rides:
Mine - 2015 TaoTao ATA-250 200cc Camo Manual 4/N/R
Son #1 - 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 110cc Camo Automatic D/N/R
Son #2 - 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 110cc Spiderweb Red Auto D/N/R

I do have one question regarding a mod that I am trying to do: I want to put a hitch on the back. I already have a hitch in the front (pics will be posted soon). I an thinking of a custom build using the rear swing arm and the mounting bolts for the spring...

Has anyone else made a hitch for the rear?
Hello and welcome to the forum! Nice hitch setup! I'm also looking to put a rear hitch on my Rhino nd have been putting much thought into it.
You will want to start your own thread for your quads, though. It will get much more exposure to the general forum population than being buried in this thread and you will probably receive many more responses!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #105

2LZ, I clicked on this and it went way back to September when you were wondering if these were the 229/230cc engine or the 200cc engine as listed. Which one did it end up being?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard