Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #91

i'll see what mechanic says

i'll see what the experts say

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #92

Engine Burnt Up

I took my Bike 3 hours drive to a Motorcycle Shop that would work on China Bikes. They put my new dirt bike on a Diagnostic Machine and it had "zero" compression and said the top end of the engine is toast. I dont know how this could have happened by just riding in the mud.

A new engine cost $500 and labor is $80 hour. Is it worth it? Can they put that engine in there in half a day?

Michael A

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #93

I could do it in an hour. It is only about 6 bolts, 2 wire connections, one cable.

Not sure how you got zero compression unless it suck a rock into the engine or a ring/valve broke.

Allen

Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #94

Depends on the motor as far as the price goes...Why not just buy the motor and put it in Yourself? Pretty easy once You really look at it.

http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=04
Price seems inline, But is the bike worth it it would have to be pretty good shape in all the other areas to make it worth that much.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #95

Very sorry to read about all your troubles. I don't spend as much time in this part of the forums due to my owning only a Yamaha bike and then some China ATV's.

Having read this, I'm surprised your bike still ran after the mud and water ingestion, as it sounds to me like it hydrauliced itself. When you tried to start it and in clunk clunk clunked that is a pretty good indication of piston/rod failure. It could also easily have scored your valve guides so the valves would not hit the seat properly.

I believe John at Gio said his Dirt bikes were Xmotos, and perhaps he has a motor for you for a good price. Being in the US you will save money on currency. It shouldn't be huge swapover for you, you've probably spent more time dissassembling the top half while in the bike, and a total swapover is less time.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #96

ordering engine

I talked to the mechanic and he thinks mud slug and sand may have got sucked in to the engine blocking oil from reaching top end. Makes sense. I am ordering engine from HooperImports.com for $500. This engine is shipped with CDI, rectifier. coil, carburetor, intake, kick lever, shift lever, starter relay, side cover and hardware. That seems like a good deal yes?

The mechanic thinks it will take between 3 and 4 hours. So total cost will be about $850 bucks. No matter how you cut it it still $2000 less than brand new Honda 250. At least Ii have my old Roketa DB200cc to ride.

Michael A

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #97

3 or 4 hours at 80 per hour= 240 or 320 bucks

I'd consider doing it yourself. It really is a pretty simple and straight forward task. I would be surprised if it took you more than and hour and a half.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #98

Send a message via MSN to Heather_Xmotos
I have been reading your posts about engine not starting, what size engine is it, i might have other suggestions about that.
In most cases when you start a bike and have to hold the throttle half way for the bike to start and when you let go it dies, it might be an air leak between the carb, intake manifold and engine, make sure all the seals are good. if the engine is cooked, it does not cost 500 for an engine by the way.

just a technical suggestion for our engineers, or if you want we can ship you the top end parts for your engine.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #99

bought new engine

Thanks for the info. I finally decided to buy a new engine last month. I had to take it to a mechanic in a city 150 miles away since no one locally would work on it. Luckily these dudes only charged me $450 for labor and I bought the engine for $500. They don't make the engine that was originally in my bike anymore so these mechanics had to jimmy rig it to fit.

The mechanics said there was no oil getting to the top end of the engine so it got burnt our, valves and piston and rings. They think since I was mud bogging that some pebbles may have got in the engine and block the passage ways where the oil goes to the top end of the engine. The bike runs fine. I wont mud bog anymore.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #100

Re: bought new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by puush
Thanks for the info. I finally decided to buy a new engine last month. I had to take it to a mechanic in a city 150 miles away since no one locally would work on it. Luckily these dudes only charged me $450 for labor and I bought the engine for $500. They don't make the engine that was originally in my bike anymore so these mechanics had to jimmy rig it to fit.

The mechanics said there was no oil getting to the top end of the engine so it got burnt our, valves and piston and rings. They think since I was mud bogging that some pebbles may have got in the engine and block the passage ways where the oil goes to the top end of the engine. The bike runs fine. I wont mud bog anymore.
Hey chap... sorry to hear about your motor and the expense once again.

The mechanics explanation sounds very very strange to me. Your air filter should have stopped anything that would have clogged an oil galley in your motor.. if not, it would have wreaked havoc in the carb first, the valve second, and the piston third. It's very rare for something from the top end of the engine to make it's way into the crankcase to block an oil passage. There is simply no room for it to fall past the piston. I don't think it'd be mud, rocks or anything sucked in that would cause an oil passage block. If an oil pressure passage was blocked, it would be blocked by something already inside the engine.. either from incorrect oil change procedure, or from something breaking inside the engine.

Signs on internals of engines of oil starvation are normally seen on the crankshaft or the cylinder wall and the piston skirt.

You might want to talk to Heather from Xmotos about warranty.

Do you still have the dead motor??

Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #101

I'm with TurboT.

I thought at first that maybe the original engine hydraulic'd due to water ingestion, but you would have seen that at your last oil change.

I'd be more inclined to think that something broke, or maybe the timing chain jumped.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #102

I thought about an overheated motor, But it seems it would have siezed. Maybe an extreme over rev of a new motor, But those don't really add up to that problem. Either way You got her running again but do more research before ever paying that much to have it done again.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'm with TurboT.

I thought at first that maybe the original engine hydraulic'd due to water ingestion, but you would have seen that at your last oil change.

I'd be more inclined to think that something broke, or maybe the timing chain jumped.
Yes and if you hydraulic'd the engine, you'd have a bent rod, most likely.

I'd love to see pics of the inside of that motor.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #104

Send a message via MSN to Heather_Xmotos
by the way im Xmotos bike's manufacturer ...
hope you can fix your bike ..
TEL: 0086-579-87876619
FAX: 0086-579-87876668
M: 0086-13819902528

Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #105

hi

I had sent a email to you all a few months ago and you said that I had to deal with the dealer I bought it from. I had no luck with them. They really suck. I bought my bike from www.powersportsmax.com. Obviously my bike is running now after the cost of $1000 to me. I like the xmoto though. When Are you guys coming out with your new models for 2010?

Michael A