Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #91

Compression

I'm no engineer , but I wonder why a 250 would need compression release.must be a reason or they wouldn't do it.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #92

It's not about displacement as much as compression. The old XR200 from the early '80's had an automatic compression release, so you didn't break the kicker mechanism as you tried to overcome the compression.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It's not about displacement as much as compression. The old XR200 from the early '80's had an automatic compression release, so you didn't break the kicker mechanism as you tried to overcome the compression.
I agree. Also, it's good to remember the NC250 engine is installed in a lot of dirt bikes which have a kick starter.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
I'm no engineer , but I wonder why a 250 would need compression release.must be a reason or they wouldn't do it.
It's not so much a matter of need, rather a list of benefits.

Lower compression at cranking speed requires less effort to get the piston to TDC. Less effort allows a smaller starter motor and drive components, which also happens to weigh less. A smaller motor drawing less currant doesn't need a battery as large as would have otherwise been required. A smaller battery weighs less.

I'd still like to also have a kick starter, just because.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
...I'd still like to also have a kick starter, just because.
The kick starter parts for the NC250 engine are readily available on Taobao. I would certainly install a kick starter, but I don't know if the engine location, frame size, and location of the foot peg of the RX3 bike will accommodate the range of movement of a kick starter.

If only the battery fails, one of the lithium battery, jump starters would work very well, and also offer a variety of other functions.

http://themicrostart.com/products/micro-starts/

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #96

Good point, Spud. Having a backup battery makes a lot of sense, doesn't weight much, and has more uses than just jump starting.

I have the Bolt Power K3 (12,000 mah LiPo) for my car. I plan take it with me on the RX3 when I go on an extended ride. It will be useful for starting the bike in case I drain the battery, and to recharge my iPhone, and/or power LED camp lights. I had the battery die on my Jetta TDI not long ago, and I used the the Bolt Power K3 and it indeed allowed me to start my car. Very happy with it.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #97

Battery

the lithium jump starters are great!! I purchased two recently , Riteaid drug stores has them on sale. For $39.99 , Started a woman's Jetta the other day , worked great .At that low price I gave it to her , an got another .

Old 11-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If only the battery fails, one of the lithium battery, jump starters would work very well, and also offer a variety of other functions.
If the battery fails and you don't have a way to jump start the bike, I doubt that a kicker would help. I suppose if you kicked the motor over enough times, the stator could charge the battery enough to operate the PCM. If not, kicking all day would not likely start the bike.

A kicker would be a great idea in case there was a failure of the starting components, like the solenoid or the starter button.

A lithium jump starter sounds like a must-have for long trips.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #99

Thumbs Up zongs on the way back

first off ,im embarrassed to admit ,i messed up the valve adjustment ,But not in the way you think ,csc (jerry) said my valve adjustment was exactly twice what it should be (loose),,,so i adjusted the valves on the exhaust stroke !I somehow did not see the intake valve moving as i spun engine over apperently,,>This damaged the cup on the bottom of the threaded adjuster stud. This didnt help,,,,but my rx3 stalled from day one before any valve adj. The main culprit that jerry found was my tps was not set correctly,even tho i had tried 2 different ones ,once jerry set it correctly ,he said the problem is gone! Maybe a tuitorial could be made on how to set the tps with a multimeter? Jerry also noticed while riding mine the front brake rotor pulsing ,which i knew bout ,but i had bigger issues,,,,,well he fixed that to while it was there! CSC has the best customer service ever.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #100

Great news.

Glad to hear that both problems have been identified and resolved.

I see no need for embarrassment, rather a lesson for all of us to be certain of what is done each time we do it. That is a good reminder to rotate the crank and recheck clearance. It's also why I have gone to viewing the cam sprocket through the ports in the head instead of trying to peer through the alternator port.

I agree that a TPS tutorial by CSC would be a great idea.

Looking forward to your report on riding after you get it back.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #101

zongs coming back

yep ,jay i will be using the cam portholes next time,,,

Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #102

Quote:
Glad to hear that both problems have been identified and resolved.

I see no need for embarrassment, rather a lesson for all of us to be certain of what is done each time we do it. That is a good reminder to rotate the crank and recheck clearance. It's also why I have gone to viewing the cam sprocket through the ports in the head instead of trying to peer through the alternator port.

I agree that a TPS tutorial by CSC would be a great idea.

Looking forward to your report on riding after you get it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
yep ,jay i will be using the cam portholes next time,,,
Thanks for posting the update; I'm glad the problems are fixed.

Indeed, you can avoid making the mistake of adjusting the valves on the exhaust stroke by verifying TDC on the compression stroke. Just remove the inspection plugs in the rocker cover.

Thanks for reporting another example of superb customer service from CSC. Please do update us with a ride report after your bike arrives back in Pennsylvania.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 12-27-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #103

Peek a boo

Maybe there is a market for clear cam port window plugie thingies.

With tiny LEDs preinstalled to aid viewing.

No, nix the LED, too over-the-top.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #104

Quote:
Maybe there is a market for clear cam port window plugie thingies.

With tiny LEDs preinstalled to aid viewing.

No, nix the LED, too over-the-top.
little projects like that make me really want to pick up a little 3d printer to try making random parts. could print a clear cover and even print an elastomer gasket for it.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 12-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #105

So glad to hear that the issue is resolved, Fish. Thanks for sharing the outcome with us.