Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #91

flu is spiking around here, along with rsv in babies/kids. My wife has been over it for a month now and still has no taste or sense of smell, which's a bit worrisome. They are still getting covid in the er but not as many as they did in November/December. Suicides and OD's are also still through the roof. But none of the politicians want to talk about that.

My mother in law is still having some breathing issues. But she has a laundry list of autoimmune issues too.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #92

Covid, from what I've experienced in my life, seems to be very selective. I hope they really study this and find out why. A persons genetics, maybe? Blood type?? The reason I mention this is because the guy I know at the store (the owner) and his family all caught it. The wife and kids were fine. My buddy though is morbidly obese, diabetic, ticker issues, has oxygen level issues. He went in and was out in three days. They only kept him a third day to get his blood sugar under control. He's fine and dandy now.

Then I spoke with my brother three weeks ago and a couple from his church got Covid. The husband just had mild flu symptoms. The wife was hospitalized. While she led a sedentary life style, my brother knew of no underlying health issues. She passed away six days later.

Like I stated earlier, Covid seems to be very selective of its victims. I'd like to know why.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Well, I hope for the best. The Rapid tests don't have the greatest track record for accuracy. If you start getting a scratchy throat and what feels like sinus congestion, but without a stuffy nose, along with an occasional dry cough - thats what tipped me off. It didn't feel like any sinus infection, flu, or cold I have had before.
I don't know if it is a regional thing, but here in Yuma, most every person who has had it locally, including my son and I, have lost their sense of smell and taste. Some for a day or so, but mine has been a few weeks (smell). Now, both my parents, older sister, and younger sister all caught it around the same time as me in Los Angeles, and they lost taste and smell, so I am guessing it is kind of universal. But, I recall that I did not have a stuffed up nose like one gets in a common cold or flu. It was a weird illness as most of us who have had it can attest.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #94

I just pqssed my vovid test with flying colors ( aka it came back negative) while i was in the hospotal this week with a Bilateral Pulmonary embolism, figured with chest pain and shortness of breath it could go either way....but... nope...PE it was

Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I don't know if it is a regional thing, but here in Yuma, most every person who has had it locally, including my son and I, have lost their sense of smell and taste. Some for a day or so, but mine has been a few weeks (smell). Now, both my parents, older sister, and younger sister all caught it around the same time as me in Los Angeles, and they lost taste and smell, so I am guessing it is kind of universal. But, I recall that I did not have a stuffed up nose like one gets in a common cold or flu. It was a weird illness as most of us who have had it can attest.
I lost my sense of smell/taste as well, but it wasn't until 2 or 3 days after my other symptoms started.

I have also had sinus issues my whole life, and it is sort of a genetic thing. My grandfather on my mothers side was the same way, as are some of my aunts and uncles. If not infections, then allergy like issues, and extreme sensitivity to things like smoke.

I also had childhood asthma, and had an attack so severe when I was 4 years old I ended up in the ICU for 10 days. As a result I have a lot of scars in my airways (fibrosis). This has lead to me seeming more vulnerable to catching infections like bronchitis and pneumonia. I have had pneumonia a couple of times in my life pretty badly too because of it.

From all of this, you would assume that Covid should be my worst nightmare... Yet it barely ranks in the top 10 of the "worst I have felt" chart.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
I just pqssed my vovid test with flying colors ( aka it came back negative) while i was in the hospotal this week with a Bilateral Pulmonary embolism, figured with chest pain and shortness of breath it could go either way....but... nope...PE it was
Holy crap dude! Serious stuff right there. Hope you spring out of this quickly. The guitar world needs your type!.....even though, as I recall, you hate Fender necks. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Holy crap dude! Serious stuff right there. Hope you spring out of this quickly. The guitar world needs your type!.....even though, as I recall, you hate Fender necks. ;-)
Eh, not my fisrt rodeo with them, funny you bring up guitars...i just put my Dean Vendetta (originally given to me for free) back together after a 3 year stint on the workbench...LOL and youre right... i dislike fender baseball bats....

Old 01-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #98

Well, did my Rapid test yesterday and it came back negative, so my wife is letting me come home. I was on my best behavior with the staff at the testing place.

"Sir, are you experiencing any body aches or pain?"

"I'm a 65 year old mechanic and an ex jock. If I wake up and don't feel any pain, I'm probably dead."

"Okay. Are you experiencing a scratchy throat or nasal congestion?"

"Everytime I step off the plane in Charleston. It's like allergy season back home."

"Um, any loss of taste or smell."

"Well, the hotel breakfast is still awful and I had to open the window of the car on the way to the office because of the breakfast."

"Sigh. Look at the ceiling. I'm going to insert this Q-tip in your nose to get a sample for testing. Do your best not to sneeze, sir."

What she didn't tell me was that she was going to stir that Q-tip like she was beating raw eggs for French toast. And do it for quite a while. But I didn't sneeze.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Well, did my Rapid test yesterday and it came back negative, so my wife is letting me come home. I was on my best behavior with the staff at the testing place.

"Sir, are you experiencing any body aches or pain?"

"I'm a 65 year old mechanic and an ex jock. If I wake up and don't feel any pain, I'm probably dead."

"Okay. Are you experiencing a scratchy throat or nasal congestion?"

"Everytime I step off the plane in Charleston. It's like allergy season back home."

"Um, any loss of taste or smell."

"Well, the hotel breakfast is still awful and I had to open the window of the car on the way to the office because of the breakfast."

"Sigh. Look at the ceiling. I'm going to insert this Q-tip in your nose to get a sample for testing. Do your best not to sneeze, sir."

What she didn't tell me was that she was going to stir that Q-tip like she was beating raw eggs for French toast. And do it for quite a while. But I didn't sneeze.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #100

Quote:
*snip*

yeah.... glad i had an itch on the backside of my eyeball for when i got mine...LOL

Old 01-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
yeah.... glad i had an itch on the backside of my eyeball for when i got mine...LOL
That’s what I was dreading. I was having flashbacks of having a camera shoved up my nose to go down my throat. I was calling that a nasal colonoscopy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #102

Ah hell cheesy, the covid swab was nuthin'. At this point in my life, when I go in for my annual colonoscopy, I grab the wand and send the crew to lunch....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #103

Yeah, they don't do the test right unless they at least scratch the underside of your brain.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #104

Quote:
That’s what I was dreading. I was having flashbacks of having a camera shoved up my nose to go down my throat. I was calling that a nasal colonoscopy.
Quite possible others would be worse off with it then me, seeing how they had just pumped about 500cc of Heparin thru my IV in the hour before my C19 test....LOL

Old 01-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Ah hell cheesy, the covid swab was nuthin'. At this point in my life, when I go in for my annual colonoscopy, I grab the wand and send the crew to lunch....
To derail this thread even farther, I get to poop in a cup. Nowhere near as glamorous as it sounds.

Back on track, had my second Rapid test today and that one also came back negative.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800