Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #91

Dang! That thing looks like brand new! Guess you'll have to think up a new moniker for it, Dirt Rat 2 doesn't really fit such a clean looking bike. Awesome job Doc, it's beautiful! 8)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #92

Thanks MIC.

I plan to clean up the handgrips, dye the gaiters, and maybe repaint the triple clamps. Then I'll call it Done. 8)

Then, after it's all clean, I plan to cover it with Washington Desert Dust to my heart's content! :P

Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #93

Wow! The bike looks fantastic, Doc! You did an excellent job.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #94

The Dirt Rat 2 is done

What do you think, guys?

Refer back to Page 1 of this thread for the 'Before' pics. Quite a transformation. :wink:

Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #95

Ultra sano, my friend! That looks like a brand new bike (I know, I already said that). Son of Weldangrind was drooling over the pics with me. He noted that you and he chose the same grips.

On a constructive criticism note, it appears that your chain might be a tad tight.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #96

Thanks Weld.

There is a lot more that could be done if a guy wanted to but I don't want to go (too) overboard! I have to remind myself its just an ordinary old dirt bike. Plus, somewhere down the road, it's gonna need a top end. It smokes a little, but not enough most people would notice and it does not oil up the plug or the exhaust. Maybe next year I'll do a top end on it.

I'll be sure to replace the valve seals as well :wink: .

The grips came on the bike, I just cleaned them up.

I think the chain is good. It has about 1 1/2 inches of play in it. When I sit on the bike and compress the suspension I reach down and confirm that the chain is not taught. I'll recheck it before I ride.

This weekend is supposed to be sunny but cold here. Maybe I'll get a ride in.

Maybe I'll carry a small 12 volt battery in a backpack so I can run my electric gloves and vest...

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #97

BTW what looks like red overspray on the swingarm and engine is not. It's just dust from sanding and preparation. It blows right off.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #98

You can certainly replace the valve stem seals without doing rings; it's very likely that new seals will solve the oil consumption. I once changed valve stem seals on a buddy's '82 Accord, and it was killing mosquitoes for miles. The seals cured it completely. Despite being a very worn and neglected car, I could still see the original cross-hatch pattern on the cylinder wall, and there was no ridge. Gotta love old Hondas.

It would cost you the seals and a head gasket. A new valve cover gasket is optional.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #99

The transformation is wonderful! The bike looks great!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #100

I got to ride The Dirt Rat 2 a bit today. This getting dark at 4:30 thing really sucks :evil: .

Since I bought it the rear suspension had an annoying squeak. I didn't worry about it because the bike has grease fitting in 3 places on the linkage and on the swingarm 8) .

So I greased it up best I could and it still Squeaked ! Loud! You could hear it with the engine on :oops: .

So It was time to remove the shock linkage and swingarm. I cleaned it all up good and greased it directly. A big PIA (maybe 2 hours) but it was worth it. The grease from the fittings simply did not reach where it needed to be.

Now it rides squeak free, and I have the assurance that it is all well lubricated and the bearings are good with no play at all.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #101

Wow! 8O Hard to believe it's even the same bike! Awesome job Doc! 8)

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #102

If the squeaking returns, you'll need to replace the bearings, which would require a hydraulic press. I bought a little 12 ton press, and it's my second favourite tool in the shop. I bought a bearing kit on eBay for my '96 XR250R, and I think the brand was All Balls.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #103

All Balls makes good stuff.

I think the bearings are fine. When properly greased they moved perfectly smooth and quietly with no play at all.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #104

Took The Dirt Rat 2 for a long ride today. We did about 40 miles. The bike is a blast. Indeed I need a bigger challenge than The Hill Of Doom. It's too easy!

Part of the reason is the cooler weather has greatly improved the local trails, not so dusty any more. Great traction and much 'cleaner'. This is prime local dirt bike riding season right now :P .

It was SEVENTY DEGREES today! Finally some GW!!! I don't expect it to last though.

Here's something you don't see every day. Cattle dining on the pumpkin patch. Odd.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #105

I love the Honda, XR series bikes! The Honda CRF bikes are not nearly as robust as the old, XR series bikes.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220