Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #91

Thanks again guys, I am going to scoop one of those Uni's for when my Mikuni arrives... The stock airbox looks kind of, inefficient for lack of a better term? So you just order them by the outer diameter of the carb throat? Man, I gotta get a trailer hitch on my car so that I can haul these things out to our local sand track...

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #92

Lol, oops! I guess that is how you order them... I should have noticed they give the ID. They look cool, much better than stocker!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Man, I gotta get a trailer hitch on my car so that I can haul these things out to our local sand track...
Not sure what kind of car you have, but I recommend a Class 3 receiver. They're less expensive initially, and most of the accessories at Princess are designed for Class 3. Princess and others have accessories for Class 1 and 2, but they're considerably more expensive.

I've installed several of them, and I wouldn't go near a universal; a Class 3 that is designed for your vehicle (Hidden Hitch, Reese, whatever) is a safe bet. I use ours not only for towing, but also for a dirt bike hauler, a cargo hauler and a bicycle hauler. Each one of those accessories just slip into the receiver.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #94

This should have been my first mod. No, I have had no problems yet, but there is no way you should run with that crap fuel line and no petcock.
Phone is there for scale.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Man, I gotta get a trailer hitch on my car so that I can haul these things out to our local sand track...
Not sure what kind of car you have, but I recommend a Class 3 receiver. They're less expensive initially, and most of the accessories at Princess are designed for Class 3. Princess and others have accessories for Class 1 and 2, but they're considerably more expensive.

I've installed several of them, and I wouldn't go near a universal; a Class 3 that is designed for your vehicle (Hidden Hitch, Reese, whatever) is a safe bet. I use ours not only for towing, but also for a dirt bike hauler, a cargo hauler and a bicycle hauler. Each one of those accessories just slip into the receiver.
I installed a tubular Bully class III from P/A which is billed as universal. It is VERY well built and is adjustable in width to fit your "frame" rails. If you have a truck then you really do have a frame, if you have a car then you have those stamped in frame boxs.

I suggest you at least have a look at it. Took me a few hours. Has massive brackets and 3/4" bolts.

It mounts 2 ways, high up if you are luck or wish to remove your spare or lower down to clear your spare and you use a 3 or 4 inch rise.
$89.00

I also ordered from the U.S. a REALLY neat wiring harness. Now before anyone goes postal on me my Escape was not ordered with towing package, so....long story short although I can buy the 3 relays I need for the fusebox, the actual CONTACTS are not in the damn fusebox to stick the relays in to. Sneaky buggers.

So, this wiring harnes is a pass thru design. It has Ford tailight plugs so you unplug your tailights, plug in the connector, then plug your tailights back in. Very sweet and clean. All the connections are protected behind your tailight lenses.

Sure i could have bought a 10 buck 4 wire plug and spliced away but this is better.

They offer 2 types. One is limited to just 2 trailer stop lamps and runs from the tailight power and the other one (I bought this one) runs a power wire direct to battery so you can go higher on the amps and use multiple lights. It also has a breaker for overload protecction.

I connected it to my second batt in the back so I didnt have to bother running it all the way up front.

The hitch looks good and I'm happy with it.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #96

Cool fuel petcock! Where did you pick it up? I think its funny that the 110 Mini Beast's have a fuel petcock and the full size Beast's don't... Good call the replace the lines too, better safe than sorry! As far as a hitch is concerned, I have a Pontiac G6, (well, it's in the shop for clunking front end at 60K, so not sure how much longer I will have it!) so I am pretty well restricted to a class 2 hitch, I don't think they make a class 3 for my car. Either that or I gotta borrow my pa's old Sonoma to haul em around . Thanks for the advice guys, tons of good info here.

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #97

MICRider,

I got my valve from the local Yamaha dealer. Read about it here: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7693

Don't be too sure that you can't find a Class 3 for your car; I wouldn't be surprised to find one.

Pete,

I used the same style of harness that you did on my van, and it worked great. Mine's a company lease, so I want to be able to quickly undo anything I install. I took power from the back side of the rear cigarette lighter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #98

Quote:
MICRider,

I got my valve from the local Yamaha dealer. Read about it here: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7693

Don't be too sure that you can't find a Class 3 for your car; I wouldn't be surprised to find one.

Pete,

I used the same style of harness that you did on my van, and it worked great. Mine's a company lease, so I want to be able to quickly undo anything I install. I took power from the back side of the rear cigarette lighter.

LOL LOL...nice shut off valve

Now thats REALLY bad, I'm at the point of copying you and I dont even know it!!! Funny.

I got mine at the local rent-all...not a franchise, honest to goodness independant.

i walk in and ask...he says " what size"..."metal or plastic"...goes in back comes out 2 minutes later.

This store is very close to me.....the price was 15 bucks, probably should be 4.99 but so what.....anyone wants one PM me, I'll be happy to do a favor.

Pete

Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
LOL LOL...nice shut off valve

Now thats REALLY bad, I'm at the point of copying you and I dont even know it!!! Funny.

Pete
I'll take it as a compliment.

Where were you planning on mounting your valve? The spot I chose is a bit awkward for the fuel hose, but the valve is totally concealed under the body plastic. It deludes me into thinking it's an anti-theft feature. :roll:

Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #100

The Battery. Was not fun. I heartily reccomend you do not buy this size unless you want 5 hours of fun fun fun.

The comparisons:

Mounted:

The front of the box is removed. i realized i can gain 3/4" and will be shaving the box accordingly.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #101

There's your problem, you're drinking Canadian!

How is the clearance between the new battery box and the muffler?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #102

Quote:
There's your problem, you're drinking Canadian!

How is the clearance between the new battery box and the muffler?
EDIT: 1.25"" But I finally found a 1" thick asbestous pad....good luck with that these days.

Bigger problem was clearance for the breather elbow. The bottom of the box was pushing it in about 1/2". So I cut a 1" rad around the breather tube on the bottom of the batt box. This leaves more than enough support for the batt and clears the tube easily. Stock breather tube and housing comes off easily now.

Might be some clearance issues when I go UNI Filter, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It came out of a 100K BTU propane heater we mount in our trailers. I scooped 3 of them....24 X 5" X 1". (LWH)

I held a torch to one side and my palm was barely warm. Keep it in mind I have some of this shit in case you or anyone needs some.

Pete

Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #103

Good luck finding a courier that will transport it.

Back to the fuel valve question, where were you planning on mounting yours?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #104

Oh crap, forgot....give me a couple minutes to go look.

Right hand side (I'm right handed) on the vertical frame tube, forward area of the tank. the picture sucks and I've got it crossways, but you get the idea.

Open to better suggestions though!!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #105

Quote:
Good luck finding a courier that will transport it.

Back to the fuel valve question, where were you planning on mounting yours?
If we are talking about sending 36 sq" of material so someone can protect a battery box or something, my offer stands. I dont give a rats ass about the "legality", (if any) and these heaters were only a year old old, but got sihtcanned because morons hit em with forklifts.

I guess I sound a bit abrasive, but when it comes to the assinine rules and regs that these lazy, corrupt, fatass, dense, politicians put in to place just so they can say they are "doing" something.....I get pissed off.