Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which YamaZong color scheme do you prefer?
KTM Orange 15 46.88%
Yamaha Blue 2 6.25%
Honda Red 1 3.13%
Stealth Black 6 18.75%
Desert Tan 5 15.63%
Kawasaki Green 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Bike look's GREAT Spud, I like the new front fender. That is also why I chose to stay with the orange. People have mistaken it for a KTM at least a dozen time's and one guy even was on a KTM at the time . Looking forward to the finished pic's
Thank you, DR. I like the refreshed orange so much, I might not even experiment with the Desert Tan.

Finding the current, correct color of Desert Tan required some searching. However, I discovered that the U.S. Military is currently using Federal Standard color FS 33446, otherwise known as “686 Tan”. Searching the internet, I discovered a good source for Desert Tan spray paint in the authentic, milspec color:

http://www.rapcoparts.com/spraypaint.html

This vendor is selling spray paint cans of “686 Tan” for $6 each. However, this seller also charges a flat shipping rate of approximately $12, whether you buy one can, or a case of 12 cans. :(

After conducting some computer graphic experiments with different colors, I have concluded that KTM Orange harmonizes very well with black. I am steadily becoming convinced that KTM Orange is the best color to match my black, Clarke fuel tank.

Also, it seems that the U.S. military is trying its best to eliminate black from all its camouflage patterns. In addition, the Desert Tan color scheme really looks best when it is applied to the entire motorcycle. Therefore, for the best “authenticity,” and visual effect, the bike’s frame, forks, rims, and even spokes, should also be painted Desert Tan.

I now have two complete sets of plastic for my YamaZong. Therefore, I can easily experiment with different colors. However, the front fender on a dual sport motorcycle takes a pretty good beating from the brush, gravel, mud, and sun. Therefore, I have come to appreciate the durability offered by my new, Polisport fender, which has the color molded into it. I won’t be able to acquire such a fender in “686 Tan;” therefore I would need to paint one.

The KTM Orange is probably more visible than the Desert Tan. The KTM Orange can easily be retouched with the excellent Krylon Fusion paint, which is designed to fuse with the plastic. If I stick with a "standard" color such as KTM Orange, I will never need to repaint the Zong's front fender. In addition, I have completed the KTM Orange color scheme for my motorcycle, and I would much rather ride than "wrench" on my bike! Finally, if I remain with the KTM Orange color scheme, people will continue to ask me about my $950 KTM motorcycle! For all these reasons I am just about ready to agree with the majority, and stick with the KTM Orange.

P.S. You won't have to wait long for photographs of the finished KTM Orange motorcycle; I am going to install my new orange tailpiece today!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #77

It looks nice .....Buy another one and paint it a differant color and You won't have to chose :wink:

Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
It looks nice .....Buy another one and paint it a differant color and You won't have to chose :wink:
Thank you, AZ. If I bought another Zong, then I would need to choose which bike to ride! It’s easier, and less expensive, just to choose a color.

On Tuesday, I’m repainting the old plastic in KTM orange. I have decided either to reduce, or eliminate the black area at the front of the quarter panels. The retouched photographs below approximate the final results obtained from the two options.

Which option do you think looks best?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #79

Tough call Spud. I like the looks of both options, and I'm leaning towards deleting the black, but I wonder what it'll look like after you've swung a leg over the saddle a few times. I guess time would tell.

The bottom line is that's a nice looking machine. I hereby covet your motorcycle, despite being commanded not to. :wink:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Tough call Spud. I like the looks of both options, and I'm leaning towards deleting the black, but I wonder what it'll look like after you've swung a leg over the saddle a few times. I guess time would tell…
I think the Krylon Fusion paint is pretty tough, WG. However, you are quite correct; only time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
…The bottom line is that's a nice looking machine. I hereby covet your motorcycle, despite being commanded not to. :wink:
Thank you, WG. Also, thank you for all your excellent feedback during this entire project.

I really enjoy my new Polisport fender; I think it added the “finishing touch” to this project. This fender might be the best $23 I have ever spent on my Zong. It might sound funny, but the Polisport fender looks even better up close than it does in photographs.

P.S. Yesterday I installed a new orange tailpiece, new front turn signals, and two new mirrors on my Zong. I am going riding tomorrow, so I will post some new photos after I return home.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #81

As promised, here are the pictures of my YamaZong with the completed, KTM Orange color scheme.

Once again, I thank everyone for his constructive input.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #82

Sweet! I like the colors, awesome job!

Regards,
Stew

P.S. That looks like beautiful riding country, I'm jealous

Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider

Regards,
Stew

Thank you, Stew. Indeed, Idaho is a beautiful place to ride.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #84

Looks great Spud . Do you think the shape of that front fender is to tight to look right on a 21 front wheel? i really don't like my OE bulky fender. looks awesome on yours . probably never get a lifan style to look that tight.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
Looks great Spud . Do you think the shape of that front fender is to tight to look right on a 21 front wheel? i really don't like my OE bulky fender. looks awesome on yours . probably never get a lifan style to look that tight.
Thank you, Racer.

The front fender takes a lot of abuse from rocks, mud, et cetera. My Zong’s fender had faded terribly after being exposed for two summers to Idaho’s high-altitude sunlight. Therefore, I decided to get a new, smaller fender with the color molded into it.

I started looking for bargains on the internet, and trying to decide which fender would look good on the Zong, but it was a difficult process. Finally, I decided to see if any of the local motorcycle shops had fenders in stock, so I could see how they looked. The local Honda shop did not stock any “universal” fenders, but they took a look at my Zong, and recommended this fender. They said I could order the fender, examine it after it arrived, and then decide whether or not I wished to buy it.

The Polisport fender arrived two days after I had ordered it. When I went to the motorcycle shop to pick it up, the Parts Manager brought it out, and placed it between the forks, under the Zong’s original fender. I could tell immediately that the Polisport fender was perfect for my YamaZong.

I would encourage you to follow the same process. See if a local shop will work with you to examine your bike, and recommend a “universal” fender for it. Also, see if they will allow you to examine the fender, and then decide whether or not you wish to purchase it. This process worked very well for me.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #86

Maybe???

Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #87

Spud you built a bike that is as beautiful as it is functional.

Is thar a rear tire on the front of your bike? How's it working?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider

Regards,
Stew

Heck, some of the most beautiful country I've seen in my life is in Alberta. You've got it good too. Tough winters, though. 8O

Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #89

Now I see it, I rescind my choice of red. Very nice work and the colors compliment one another nicely. Bravo.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud you built a bike that is as beautiful as it is functional.

Is thar a rear tire on the front of your bike? How's it working?
Thank you, Doc. Indeed, I am very happy with the final result.

I have fitted a Shinko 244 tire, size 3.0-18, to the front wheel of my YamaZong. This tire is designed for either front, or rear fitment.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=24

The Shinko 244 is an excellent tire, and I am very pleased with its performance. Best of all, I purchased the tire from my local Honda shop for $27, delivered.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220