Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #76

So John has replied and softened his postiton...just a little...

He is waiting to hear from his supplier...he calls them 'the chinese' and says if they will ante up replacement shocks all he wants is S/H. I have never objected to the S/H so I will wait to hear from him.

At this time I have no faith that shocks that might ship Monday would be any better than what shipped 2 weeks ago. Maybe that will change in a few weeks.

PCD I love your fix idea....bloody brilliant sounds like. I think i will give it a shot.

waynec

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
So John has replied and softened his postiton...just a little...

He is waiting to hear from his supplier...he calls them 'the chinese' and says if they will ante up replacement shocks all he wants is S/H. I have never objected to the S/H so I will wait to hear from him.

At this time I have no faith that shocks that might ship Monday would be any better than what shipped 2 weeks ago. Maybe that will change in a few weeks.

PCD I love your fix idea....bloody brilliant sounds like. I think i will give it a shot.

waynec
hey waynec...you have to look aroung a dollar store (youngest son works p/t there) or wallymart for something about 1.5" in dia. I stressed too long over the hardness of the ball, forgetting its protected by the rubber sac.

I have NO IDEA what the damping effect will be, but I'll take it anyway because it should allow the shock to live awhile without bottoming.

Glad to hear you are talking with John. Hope it works out man.

I have 2 unopened emails but since I have already come to my decision regarding gio, they can stay unopened.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #78

Hey PCD...I pulled my shocks apart and first tried to wrap the channel with teflon tape. I wondered if wanynev's fix with the floss might allow some migration through the wrap. Tried 2 diifferent #'s of wraps and both failed. I right away used a soap mix to check for leaks. The rubber boot was really tight when I set it back in. This is why I am of the opinion there are none of these shocks that have ever held pressure.

I then went with your insertion idea as my failsafe. I used squash balls. Too soft but my next best choice would have been practice golf balls....not resilient enough. I then filled the channel of the red disc with 'Goop'. I have used this many times and it cures to a firmness someplace between silicone and epoxy. I put pressure to the assembly just to seat the boot and disc and then let the pressure off and will let it be for another 24 hours ....so 54 in total. If it still leaks I am done fiddling with them, but hope as you do that the balls will keep the shocks intact for awhile.....waynec

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #79

Quote:
Hey PCD...I pulled my shocks apart and first tried to wrap the channel with teflon tape. I wondered if wanynev's fix with the floss might allow some migration through the wrap. Tried 2 diifferent #'s of wraps and both failed. I right away used a soap mix to check for leaks. The rubber boot was really tight when I set it back in. This is why I am of the opinion there are none of these shocks that have ever held pressure.

I then went with your insertion idea as my failsafe. I used squash balls. Too soft but my next best choice would have been practice golf balls....not resilient enough. I then filled the channel of the red disc with 'Goop'. I have used this many times and it cures to a firmness someplace between silicone and epoxy. I put pressure to the assembly just to seat the boot and disc and then let the pressure off and will let it be for another 24 hours ....so 54 in total. If it still leaks I am done fiddling with them, but hope as you do that the balls will keep the shocks intact for awhile.....waynec
The new batch 'seem' better. W&G blasted mine up with his air compressor and they did seem to hold 80psi (as much as we could get into them) We have now given them to a friend of his with a nitro tank to crank them up.

Sorry to hear all are having issues with the old batch. :oops:

Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #80

Quote:

After riding I set them to about an inch of preload and they seemed to work great for me. You would have to hit something very, very hard to bottom them, probably hard enough to break something in my opinion.

That ball is only going to compress so much anyway because it has no place to go.

They are a big improvement over the stockers and will be staying on.

If I could do it all over again...I wouldnt.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I can appreciate what you're saying, but they still whomp butt over the stockers. I couldn't get the red fake reservoir shocks to compress at all.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I can appreciate what you're saying, but they still whomp butt over the stockers. I couldn't get the red fake reservoir shocks to compress at all.
Well, OK, that made me feel a bit better because I guess I forgot how bad they were. I swear mine were getting a bit better though. Standing on the brush bumper and jumping made em move an inch or two which is an inch or two more than the first time I tried.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
For some reason my stocker shocks actually work pretty good, with me pushing down on the front i can move it about 2.5", there is no sag though and ride right at the top without rider. I'll see what i can do with my performance shocks this week.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #84

Looks like buttering up the rubber boot and red disc with 'goop' has my shocks holding pressure...for now anyway.....waynec

Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #85

Quote:
Looks like buttering up the rubber boot and red disc with 'goop' has my shocks holding pressure...for now anyway.....waynec
Qu'est-ce c'est "goop"? RTV? Tire sealant?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #86

Factory will replace shocks for free therefore email us again to get this resolved. S&H must be paid 20usd for 1 shock, 25usd for 2 shocks or 30usd for 3 shocks, depending on how many you need.

There are no problems with these shocks of any kind, the whole 2 or 3 of you with the problem does not indicate that all of them are bad. We've sold hundreds of shocks since late last year.

Ride Safe!
GIO

Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #87

The shock issue is finished for me. Mine are on the bike and my repair is acceptable.
Others can pick the low hanging fruit here. Refuting the above post would be like shooting fish in a barrel, no sport to it.
I will extend a smidgen of credit for the appearance, discounting the time frame and tone.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #88

W&G....'Goop' is a brand name. I have used it many times and it is a rather unique material. Anytime you might think 'silicone' but need greater strength, use Goop.
It comes in a bunch of different formulations. Marine, Automotive, Household, Plumbing etc. I mostly use Marine but for this problem used Plumbing and it has done the trick.
Not sure about paying for nitrogen yet.....how necessary is it do you think?

waynec

Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #89

It's only necessary because it's less likely to leak out. If you keep on top of it, you can use air.

I have seen Goop; I didn't realize you were referring to a brand name.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #90

Finally got my replacement shocks and I think I can safely declare these shocks are a complete scam. One shock dead flat and oozes oil under pressure and the other 2 with virtually no pressure. These shocks all have the black springs. If John has sold 100's of these with no complaints...what have I done in a previous life to get 6 out of 6 that are sh*t.....Ho hum.....waynec