Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #76

I'm sorry to hear your brother broke the gear shift linkage, Gonzo. :roll: Please do keep us updated regarding your repair, and/or parts acquisition from the vendor.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoX
...he did say he would pay for a replacement if it was not too steep.
:roll:

Since one side has left hand thread, you'd need to fabricate the new bar from solid rod. If you have access to a Metric tap and die set, you could use the pitch gauge to determine the pitch of the existing thread and learn the diameter from there.

A little online shopping should find a left-hand die in the correct size.

Make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #78

Maybe not the cheapest solution, but you could hit up a local motorcycle shop and see if they have a similar sized one in stock. My old Honda Rebel had a similar shift linkage connector to that. Says "Bolt, Tie Rod" on Bikebandit. Could be one of the cruiser models has a similar sized one. Its just an $8 part for the Rebel one, though it looks like it may be a bit short for yours. Big thing to remember when reinstalling a linkage is to line up the dots!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #79

OK Im lost. What do you mean by line up the dots?

Years ago I would have messed with the idea of making one myself but since I work nights and am getting ready for my wedding I will be too busy so I dropped the broken piece off to a local machine shop. Old guy there didnt seem like he even wanted to mess with it even though I would have made it worth his while. He said he would look at it and let me know if he could do it or even wanted to. He told me that the rod itself was also bent. Man my brother must really have hit it hard or something. And oddly enough he was wearing flipflops at the time. Yeah, I got one of those brothers.

I got an email from Killermotorsports saying they are working on getting me a replacement but I still want a spare one made out of stronger American steel so I am tackling this from two ends.
I have no problem spending $50 for piece of mind.

I do not want this to happen while I am riding but if it does I want to have a spare rod in my tool bag just in case.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #80

There should be little dimples on the linkage where it bolts on to the spline. Well, might be. Not sure about your bike. If they are there, there will be one on the circle clamp that goes over the shift shaft and one on the shaft itself to line it up with. If that makes sense.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockway
There should be little dimples on the linkage where it bolts on to the spline. Well, might be. Not sure about your bike. If they are there, there will be one on the circle clamp that goes over the shift shaft and one on the shaft itself to line it up with. If that makes sense.
Thanks Brockway. OK Ill look at that but I dont think it makes a difference though. The clamp did not break it was only the rod that scerews into the clamp and the foot shifter that broke. AFAIK all I have to do is screw this thing on and tighten the nuts on each end.

Found a local machine shop and they cut off the damaged threading and drilled a hole and tapped it for new threading. Only cost me $10. He could only drill up to about 5/16" deep into the rod though and it's a bit off so the new threaded part is angled a but. Should not be an issue though. Hope that will be enough. Hope to pick my bike up from my brothers place by Friday. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #82

Thanks for the update, Gonzo. I'm glad you got the problem fixed. Don't let your brother get anywhere near your bike in the future! 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #83

Here is a pic of the repaired shift rod:

On another forum I had a guy say its been two months and he still hasnt gotten his replacement rod.

It's sad that this seems to be a common problem with the DF. And they all seem to break in the exact same spot. I hope my replacement is a revised model that is beefier or made of beter metal but I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Hope to get my bike back home by friday.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #84

Is your brother paying the $10 for the repaired shift linkage. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #85

He better. I am going to tell him it cost me $20. Thats to offset for gas and time wasted because of him.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #86

Good for you, Gonzo! Don't let him near your bike ever again. 8)

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #87

Well I got my bike back this Friday and the tapped and rethreaded part works fine from what I can tell.

Never again will I let another man touch my bike! Family or not.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #88

Thanks for the update, Gonzo! I'm glad the repaired part works well. Please let us know when your brother pays you the $20 he owes.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #89

Been a while since I posted so thought I would update.

Shift linkage rod still not here after a month. Called killermotorsports and they claim that it was on back order. May be because everybody that bought this bike has had theirs break.

Still no plates, title or registration either. They say they are waiting on the MSO.

On the bright side I did 60mph this weekend. Really did not feel any faster than 50. I was thinking the other day, what do you guys do when a big rig passes you. I have a truck and a jeep and when I get passed on the freeway the wind from the damn trucks most times cause my vehicle to sway and feels like a side draft wind. I cant even imagine being on my little 250cc bike and dealing with this. How do you guys handle that? Dont recal that being in my training.

Got about 150 miles on my bike now. Plan on changing the oil right around the 300 mile mark. Think Ill switch from the Lucas oil to Valvoline or Castrol.

All in all I love this bike. The feeling I get when I ride it is undescribable. It's awsome. Love this little 250. Some of my friends went straight into buying a big bike but I think this is a mistake for them. My Bobber has just enough power and weight to make me feel comfortable and it is more than enough power for around town and for me to keep a healthy respect for it.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #90

Greater difficulty getting parts is one of the difficulties of owning a Chinese motorcycle. :roll: I wish you good luck getting your title and registration.

You learn to anticipate the wind, and deal with it, when riding on the freeway. However, most 250cc bikes are unsafe on the freeway, since you don't have enough power to keep up with the traffic flow, let alone have the reserve power necessary to avoid trouble. 8O Only the Ninja 250R and Honda CBR250R have enough power to ride the freeways safely.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220