Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #76

I am up to 160 miles on the odometer, and just love this bike. Still have to get the smaller sprocket on the back, because I need speed not power. I have only ridden it under cool conditions, below 50 Fahrenheit. Most of the time it is under 40 degrees. I am expecting to adjust the carb, but I will wait until I can see how it runs and starts when it is 70 degrees. I still have a bit of a problem finding neutral when I am sitting with the engine running, but it is easy when I am moving or when the engine is not running. I have not had any problems at all, I will be waiting to see how it runs with the new sprocket. At this point I feel it is a great in town commuter but I would be a bit hesitant to ride it at highway speeds, to many RPMs.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #77

I am up to 300 miles and still love the bike, I will have a smaller sprocket in a week and then I will tell you what I think about cruising speed. I am having a problem finding neutral when the bike is running. I have a good non energy conserving 10 W 40 oil. I will play with the clutch a bit, but I am starting to think that it is not going into neutral until I shut it off. Not usually a problem. The back brake clunks a bit when I use it, and I think I can fix that by making an adjustment of some kind. The front brake works great. The bike starts and runs well and has a very quiet engine. Unlike my Hi Bird, this engine has no valve noise. I have removed the passenger seat and mounted a box that I made in its place. I need to be able to haul things and I can fit a bunch of things in there. I will get you all a picture at some point. This bike is a bit wide for a 5 foot, 5 inch person like me. But I can get both feet flat on the ground. I did modify the seat a bit. It comes with a locking latch to allow you to get into the storage area under the seat. But it was a bit awkward and I eliminated it. This lowered the seat about an inch. The seat is comfortable, but the wide bike has my legs spread a bit wider than I would like. I expected a few little problems but this bike is a heck of a bike for the money in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #78

Ya know, I'm tempted to get one of these myself! It's a really nice looking bike. I'll be curious to see your custom box, RealWorld! I may just have to copy it!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #79

I am up to 600 miles and I love this bike. I have a few issues and I will list them.

Transmission is not as smooth as I would like, but I am going to switch to a good synthetic at a thousand miles and hope that solves an occasional mis shift.

I have the smaller sprocket on the back and I can cruse at 55 with ease. I am a frugal guy and hate to run those high RPMs. 55 is my limit, I am old and careful!

I still find more power every time I ride, so I am thrilled with my power. This bike is quiet and works well. The speedometer is not accurate, it reads MPH, but it is actually KM.

Registration went fine and my insurance company took my money.

I tipped the bike over while it was on the kick stand, by gently pushing it from behind. It did not hurt anything, but I am warning you all that it is a good idea to have your bike in gear when it is sitting. The stand does not have much spring pressure to hold it back.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #80

Here are a couple of pictures of my Hensim. As you can see I have taken off the back seat and installed a box for hauling tools and supplies.

[img=http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9109/p1010044.th.jpg]

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #81

Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #82

Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #83

That is a SWEET looking bike!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #84

My box, is mounted with two small hooks that mount on the seat framing mount at the front of each side of the base of the box. It just hooks over them and I pull it back and down over the former sissy bar mounts. Then I have a bolt from inside the box down into the former seat flange that held the rear seat pad on. I hold the entire seat on by an eye bolt that goes into a 9 inch wooden wedge that holds the seat in place. It fits directly behind the seat and is a triangle shape.

It can hide my helmet and it will hold a 5 gallon pail. The top is mounted to open to the back and uses a piano hinge to hinge it. It is held closed by a magnetic cabinet catch. The entire thing is made from 1 quarter inch plywood and is covered with 26 gauge sheet metal.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #85

That is one of the best looking china bikes I have seen.

Allen

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #86

OK, that answers my question on the other thread about how the hensim is doing!

I'm still not sure I like the box, but if it's useful to you....

You will have to keep us updated on the bike periodically, now that you can actually ride it as it seems the snow has melted.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #87

I wonder if it'd be possible to mount a scooter/motorcycle trunk like that box is mounted?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #88

I would imagine it would be possible, but it would take a bit of creativity.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #89

I bought one of these at a local going out of business sale. I paid $870, some were as low as $660. I was really happy about that price.

The bike had problems like flat tire, a couple dents and scratches, broken turn signals but 5 miles on it. It was discounted pretty good so I figured what the hell.

So far I also love the bike, but I think I now know why mine had been in their back room so long. It seems I have transmission problems and I'm taking it in for warranty repair. It's stuck in 4th and 5th and won't go lower and often slips out of gear too into sorta neutral.

Ok, I'll accept that given the price and haul it to the repair center. (Mine is Baja Branded but it's clearly a hensim and says hensim all over it not Baja.)

I'd like to find a replacement gas tank and maybe a back fender if anyone knows a place with decent prices for parts on these. I guess if I can't find them I'll be fixing dents and trying to paint them. I tried 600grit wet paper to get scratches out and that worked but I'm not sure what clearcoat would be ok to just spray over the existing one or if that then has to be wet sanded too.

I also need a smaller rear sprocket, which one do I get? Same deal I also want to cruise 55 without winding out. Nice and smooth 55mph without sacrificing too much pep from a stop light. Stock is rediculous at 55, completely unsuitable for those speeds really.

So yes it's a cool bike, I like it, I just hope all works out. Only 30 days of warrany left and I hope it doesn't take forever in the shop to get her fixed.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #90

Wow, lots of challenges, but they should be doable. Good luck with that transmission. As far as sprocket goes I gave up looking and made my own from a stock farm sprocket. It is a 520 chain, and the one I am using is only a 26 tooth on the rear. That is the absolute smallest that will work. It offers a few problems but if I had to do it over It is still my choice. There is no more room for a bigger sprocket on the front in my opinion. I did not try one but it is tight.

Just a word of warning on the transmission repairs, kindly and politely push them to get done, if the warranty is running out. I have no idea what could happen if they think they might not get paid. Get the name of the mechanic so you can use him in the future if necessary.

For your parts, research dealers and you should be able to get them with out much trouble. I have a suspicion that they may not be reasonable in price.