Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #76

Wow, what a story! That's awesome that CSC took care of you!

I'm curious, did Gerry say why he recommended 20w-50 oil? The normal viscosity is 10w-40.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Wow, what a story! That's awesome that CSC took care of you!

I'm curious, did Gerry say why he recommended 20w-50 oil? The normal viscosity is 10w-40.
He did...best I can remember was something about "film strength", but I'm not certain.

I don't know if the recommendation is because I'm in hot Florida.

I thought 20w50 was for air cooled engines, but I will follow his recommendation.

jb

Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
He did...best I can remember was something about "film strength", but I'm not certain.

I don't know if the recommendation is because I'm in hot Florida.

I thought 20w50 was for air cooled engines, but I will follow his recommendation.

jb
I think you are correct. Gerry probably recommended the 20W/50 motor oil because you are in sunny, warm Florida.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Wow, what a story! That's awesome that CSC took care of you! ...
X2; I'm glad your problem is fixed, and I think it's great that CSC treated you so well.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #80

Decompressed

JB asked if a 250 really needs a decompressor.

By reducing the effort needed to start the engine, the parts that are used to start it can be designed to be lighter or don't need to be bulky (in the case of kick starters) or use less energy (electric starters).

It's all part of the game of saving ounces.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #81

Quote:
...I'm still pondering these questions:

How much did the decompression mechanism contribute to the damage?...
The decompression mechanism did not make any contribution to the damage. In fact, it alerted you to the damage before the damage worsened, and allowed you to fix the problem before you were stranded somewhere with engine failure.

Quote:
...Does a 250 cc, electric start engine, even need a decompression mechanism?...
Perhaps a 250cc engine doesn't need a decompression mechanism, but it is certainly a nice feature to have. It can't hurt anything, and it facilitates starting the engine. My Honda CRF250X has a similar decompression mechanism. It is a good design, and it works well.

Quote:
...The prescription by head mechanic Gerry Edwards was to:

Check / adjust valves at 500 miles.

Check adjust valves again at 2500 miles, and every 2500 thereafter, or sooner if start / idle problems...
Based upon my experience, I think the original inspection interval of 2,500 miles should be observed by everyone, whether they have had engine problems, or not. I check my valve clearances every 2,500 miles, and I will continue to do so, until I see the valve lash stabilize. I have ridden my bike over 14,000 miles, and the valve lash has not yet stablized.

I also recommend setting the valve lash to 0.08 mm for all four valves. This setting doesn't adversely affect engine performance, and provides a little more safety margin between valve lash inspections.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #82

You saying that the roller on the rocker arm wore away the cam at the base ?
Poor surface hardening treatment would be my first thought.
Your explanation seems to be that the cam was so worn that the rocker arm roller was making contact with the decompresser finger and causing the bob weight to rattle about and make your noise.
No clearance would have affected your starting and running and any wear would normally take place at the tip of the cam.
I still think it was a poor quality part that was your problem, ask Honda, they know about cam problems.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
You saying that the roller on the rocker arm wore away the cam at the base ?
Poor surface hardening treatment would be my first thought.
Your explanation seems to be that the cam was so worn that the rocker arm roller was making contact with the decompresser finger and causing the bob weight to rattle about and make your noise.
No clearance would have affected your starting and running and any wear would normally take place at the tip of the cam.
I still think it was a poor quality part that was your problem, ask Honda, they know about cam problems.
Thanks for the input, Haggis.

Gerry said the surface of the cam lobe was worn away all the way around the lobe, and that he had never seen that condition before.

I am not fully satisfied with the explanation of the cause of the problem.

That is why I wanted the worn cam returned, or a least a photo of the damage.

But I am overjoyed that the bike is fixed, and I'm back on the road again.

jb

Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #84

FWIW, lots of European high performance auto manufacturers (BMW M series, for one) spec out 10W60 full synthetic for their water cooled engines. Guzzi does the same for their newer air/oil cooled ones.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #85

I'm not an expert, I'm only guessing.

If the clearance tightened up to 0.0, the hydrodynamic barrier that occurs with oil would likely be burned off very quickly, after which excessive friction would occur. It seems reasonable that a hardened surface would not survive long under those conditions.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #86

Gerry would know if there was zero clearance and he would have no other reason than report that since they ended up paying for it anyway.

Weld and Grinds assesement seems plausible
Along with a burnt valve.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

If the clearance tightened up to 0.0, the hydrodynamic barrier that occurs with oil would likely be burned off very quickly, after which excessive friction would occur. It seems reasonable that a hardened surface would not survive long under those conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
Gerry would know if there was zero clearance and he would have no other reason than report that since they ended up paying for it anyway.

Weld and Grinds assessment seems plausible
Inroads and Weld, thanks for your insight.

Perhaps I am looking for something that is not there.

It is still puzzling to me that there were no symptoms or warning of zero valve clearance.

The only clue was the metal tapping, after the damage was done.

At least if any other RX3 riders should hear that tapping noise, they will know what they are in for.

jb

Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #88

This kind of service and support makes me feel all the better about buying the TT250 from CSC. Awesome........ Glad you're back on the rod and I think W&G nailed the explanation.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post

Weld and Grinds assesement seems plausible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
This kind of service and support makes me feel all the better about buying the TT250 from CSC. Awesome........ Glad you're back on the rod and I think W&G nailed the explanation.
X4; I agree with the others.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #90

Thanks for posting an update!

I certainly will be checking the valves and adjusting to .008mm for added assurance every 2500 miles.

I'm glad CSC helped take care of it! They are doing a good job taking uncertainty out of purchasing a bike from China sight unseen.

Maybe if we don't hear "happy tappy" valves it's a good idea to do that adjustment early!