Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
I guess it's a good sign that ughmas hasn't posted... He must be having a great time!
Haha something like that.... unfortunately didn't get to start uncrating it until it was close to dark, and my garage doesn't have the best lighting at the moment, so I didn't do any pics or vids yet.

However I finally freed it from its wooden and cardboard cage, put the levers and mirrors on and threw some gas in it... Started right up! was able to get a few spins around the block before I had to clean up my mess and get ready for sleepytime. (wasted most of the night chatting with the neighbor who was really impressed by it (crf250L owner)

Initial observations and impressions:

Bike looks awesome! fit and finish really impressed me... there was a couple light scratches on the handlebars and headlight lens but nothing too noticeable, everything else was in great shape.

Pretty quiet with the stock exhaust but its not as horrible sounding as I thought it would be... I already have an aftermarket exhaust for later but the stock will do for now.

I have only ridden a dual sport once (dr650 I rented in CO last year, which started my thirst for a dual sport but thats another story) and I am used to my CBR600RR so obviously it felt a little weird at first but will just take some getting used to. The Shifting was actually really smooth on my bike and I had no trouble finding neutral. Standing up on the bike felt really good, shocks felt OK so far (front travelled smoothly) however I will need more time on it to get a better idea. Overall I love the bike so far and it will serve my purpose well.

Notes/adjustments:

Before you ride CLEAN both brake rotors well with brake clean or something suitable, I forgot to do this and I virtually had no brakes when I first took it out. Once I sprayed and wiped them down (lots of grease came off) and did a few stops they started working MUCH better

Tomorrow I am going to take the headlight off and probably check/reroute brake line and speedo cable, they feel a little jammed up but I did not get to look at everything closely tonight

The only "gripe" I have so far is the dip in the seat kinda jams you forward a bit and it is not the most comfortable, This will be easily correctable though with just a gel pad or something in the dip.

I most likely will roll the handlebars forward a tiny bit, just to fit me better, as others have done.

that's it for now, Ill post pics and videos and more details once I get some more time with it this weekend. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmas View Post
Haha something like that.... unfortunately didn't get to start uncrating it until it was close to dark, and my garage doesn't have the best lighting at the moment, so I didn't do any pics or vids yet.

However I finally freed it from its wooden and cardboard cage, put the levers and mirrors on and threw some gas in it... Started right up! was able to get a few spins around the block before I had to clean up my mess and get ready for sleepytime. (wasted most of the night chatting with the neighbor who was really impressed by it (crf250L owner)

Initial observations and impressions:

Bike looks awesome! fit and finish really impressed me... there was a couple light scratches on the handlebars and headlight lens but nothing too noticeable, everything else was in great shape.

Pretty quiet with the stock exhaust but its not as horrible sounding as I thought it would be... I already have an aftermarket exhaust for later but the stock will do for now.

I have only ridden a dual sport once (dr650 I rented in CO last year, which started my thirst for a dual sport but thats another story) and I am used to my CBR600RR so obviously it felt a little weird at first but will just take some getting used to. The Shifting was actually really smooth on my bike and I had no trouble finding neutral. Standing up on the bike felt really good, shocks felt OK so far (front travelled smoothly) however I will need more time on it to get a better idea. Overall I love the bike so far and it will serve my purpose well.

Notes/adjustments:

Before you ride CLEAN both brake rotors well with brake clean or something suitable, I forgot to do this and I virtually had no brakes when I first took it out. Once I sprayed and wiped them down (lots of grease came off) and did a few stops they started working MUCH better

Tomorrow I am going to take the headlight off and probably check/reroute brake line and speedo cable, they feel a little jammed up but I did not get to look at everything closely tonight

The only "gripe" I have so far is the dip in the seat kinda jams you forward a bit and it is not the most comfortable, This will be easily correctable though with just a gel pad or something in the dip.

I most likely will roll the handlebars forward a tiny bit, just to fit me better, as others have done.

that's it for now, Ill post pics and videos and more details once I get some more time with it this weekend. Feel free to ask me any questions!
most important question!! What color did you get ?
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

re: Jets

Don't passup the option of drilling out a jet. A set of small "wire gauge" drill bits can do wonders. You can use the non-cutting end to size the current jet, and then drill it out with the next size up. Often you can drill them by spinning the drill bit in your fingers. Of course you cannot go smaller. Also any time I do this, I take a file and make a mark through the number so I know that jet has been modded.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

You can go smaller by soldering the hole shut then redrilling. The softer solder may wear over time but it lasts for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
Don't passup the option of drilling out a jet. A set of small "wire gauge" drill bits can do wonders. You can use the non-cutting end to size the current jet, and then drill it out with the next size up. Often you can drill them by spinning the drill bit in your fingers. Of course you cannot go smaller. Also any time I do this, I take a file and make a mark through the number so I know that jet has been modded.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
Drilling alters the angles around the hole and usually leaves the hole rougher than original, both of which can actually yield less flow. If the jet is flat on both sides around the hole then drilling, as long as the hole is perfectly smooth, will increase flow predictably. If you decide to try be careful to keep the hole smooth and straight, might not be easy. If it acts funny keep in mind that you might have reduced flow and don't let it confuse you on your path of tuning.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
most important question!! What color did you get ?
The slowest white of course!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
The slowest white of course!
Hey, just remember that riding is like machine work: slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 06-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

ordered an assortment of the OEM equivalent jets from jets r us.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
Did you just get main jets or slow as well? the slow jets they have pictured look different than the slow jet in the TT. I am curious what the replacements for these are as well

Old 06-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Did you just get main jets or slow as well? the slow jets they have pictured look different than the slow jet in the TT. I am curious what the replacements for these are as well
just the main

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
just the main
Same here. Ordered a few different smaller main jets. I'm jetting for elevation (8,000 - 11,000 ft.). So far, all I've done is adjust the clip on the needle one notch to run a little leaner which seemed to help. Will try another notch and see how it goes.

Who needs a slow jet if you're at WOT all the time? So won't be changing that one at least for now.

Rojo

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Hello all, picked up my TT at the terminal myself on the evening of the 21st as the delivery to my place was to be today and I just could not deal with it sitting 70 miles away all alone. The packaging looked intact so they forked it into my pickup and off I went. After removing the cardboard, the bike looked great but the two outside stringers on the pallet were snapped and the 2x4 used to stop the front wheel was completely knocked away and loose. The bike was pushed forward and the tip of the front fender had poked a small hole in the cardboard that I did not notice on pickup. CSC does a really good job of strapping the bike down to the pallet so I did not think the bike was hurt. This is what may have happened: The breaks were at the fork cut-out points near the rear of the bike. My fork lift driver picked the pallet from the rear, not from the side where the fork cut-out points are. This type of pick may have caused the breakage since the weight of the bike was far forward of the pick point. There is not adequate structure for the forks at the ends of the pallet like there is at the sides. Upon picking from the end the pallet may have snapped and the front dropped causing the bike to push forward hard and remove the 2x4 front wheel stop. Those straps really held the bike down like a seat belt. I don't know, CSC may want to write with a red sharpie "DO NOT PICK FROM ENDS" on the cardboad. After getting the bike on the ground and giving it a look I was really impressed. This is my 5th bike and my 3rd new (2 cal guzzis', a cx500x, and a suzi gs500f). Is the fit and finish like that of a new guzzi? No. But it is really good for $1,900 and it started right up. Then it quit. I forgot about the fuel petcock! Doh! The headlight and the plate light did not work. Perfect. It really is. One of the reasons I bought this thing was to learn how to work on it, so lets go. Put a couple K on it, put it and me to bed. Next morn I fixed the headlight. All I did was plug it in. Like a lamp. Then it worked. Hey, this motorcycle fix-it thing is easy! Since I had the headlight off, I fiddled with the brake line/cabling routing. I also disconnected the speedo cable and squirted some lube in it. The plate light was different. I could not figure out how to get to the bulb so I left it alone and went for a ride. Starts and idles nice. No problem with shifting or finding neutral. Brakes terrible on the first ride but get better quick. As the kilos grew, I started hearing an odd noise or rattle. It seemed like it was more apparent when dropping the throttle back and slowing on engine compression. I did isolate it to the engine as I shut it down several times going down a long hill and the noises quit. Must be something loose and rattling so I tightened up all the fasteners. Some of the body fasteners needed a little tightening. The only slightly loose ones on the engine were at the exhaust pipe connection. Looking around there I found some stuff that looked like toasted sand under the exhaust connection, laying on the engine. I thought this stuff was being blasted through a bad connection there and possibly causing the noises. The 2 nuts at the flange needed to be tightened. They were not finger loose but did need to be tightened up. I went for a ride and no change. Rats. What ya gonna do? Wash and wax! After a few more rides though, I think this problem is going away. I'm not getting the toasted sand stuff residue as much and on my last ride I did not hear it as much. Maybe the flange gasket was not seated correctely. I should disconnect the exhaust and see what things look like. Don't want to do that untill I get a new gasket. I'll call CSC and ask; maybe they will send me one. And the plate light decided to work on its own. I live in the south puget sound area of Washington and am about a 25 min. ride from the logging roads of the Olympics. If you see a black TT there it might be me, stop and say hi.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Did you order these with the 5mm head diameter?

Name:  Maint Jet.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  22.1 KB

Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
I just ordered the 110 through 120 jets (stock is 108) for when I put the new exhaust on. I'll let everyone know how it goes. This will be my first time tuning a carb!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
I just ordered the 110 through 120 jets (stock is 108) for when I put the new exhaust on. I'll let everyone know how it goes. This will be my first time tuning a carb!
same - my jets arrived but I'm holding off till more broken in.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250