Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #61

AS humanbeing said, it could be a faulty kill switch. My onitor on my laptop is not clear enough to read the colors on the wiring diagram, but if you look at the CDI on the diagram, the third wire from the left is the kill wire. Disconect it and see if the spark improves.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud said:

I don't wish to be argumentative, but I must disagree. My Zongshen 200GY-2 employs an AC-CDI unit, and this ZS250GS CDI unit appears to be similar. If the stator goes bad, the Zongshen engine will not start. The Zongshen, AC-CDI unit does not receive any input from the battery; it receives all its input from the stator. The battery does not charge the capacitor in the Zongshen CDI unit. If the stator does not deliver sufficient voltage to the AC-CDI unit, the AC-CDI unit cannot send sufficient voltage to the ignition coil

If that's the case my theroy this is not the stator may be wrong. I wonder if I should order a gasket and a stator too. Do I need a special puller, or does it simply screw into the cover? Is it a plug and play deal?
The wiring diagram I posted for the ZS250GS is different from my 200GY-2 wiring diagram, Doc. Therefore, I will defer to others regarding the operation of the ZS250GS CDI unit. However, if the stator is suspect, I think it's a good idea to get a spare stator; at the very least, I can certainly get a price for you. I've also heard a bad CDI unit can cause a stator to fail.

The stator bolts solidly into the stator cover with allen head bolts; you don't need a special tool. However, I do recommend you get a spare gasket for the stator cover, if you are going to remove the cover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #63

Thanks for the tip on the kill switch wire, I will try to figure that out.

More pics:

My Zong has a tumor. Should I remove it?

Here is where the tumor goes into the motor. FWIW this bolt was loose:

The exhaust valve adjustment will be a PIA to access:

Need a clutch lever...

Some bikes ain't purdy nekid:

Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #64

In this thread two guys had similar problems. One guy it was the stator, the other it was the CDI. Go figure.

http://zongshenforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #65

Quote:
...My Zong has a tumor. Should I remove it?...
I think that tumor is called the "air pump." Indeed, it is an emissions control device. :roll: Can you post more photos showing how the tumor is connected to the motorcycle? I say remove it; I hate emissions tumors! :twisted: Here's a link to a very short, related thread on this subject.

http://zongshenforum.com/forum/index....msg752#msg752

Quote:
...The exhaust valve adjustment will be a PIA to access...
No, it won't; the Yamaha valve adjustment is wonderfully easy. The valve tappets are very easy to access, and you won't even need to bend your feeler gauges.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #66

I'd perform a smogectomy, but not before getting the bike to run. When I asked if you had a coil, I was just thinking that you might be able to eliminate it as a possibility, even though I doubt the coil is bad.

By the way, the correct spelling is "nekkid".

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #67

Great. Now I'm getting Redneck Spelling Tips from a Canadian! LOL!!

I'm gonna have Spud get me a CDI, coil, and stator and replace them in that order till it runs. I think it will run, and be a great little bike.

Now that I have it all apart I can confirm it is indeed a high quality well made well engineered little bike.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #68

I think I found one like that here. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...096570203.html

Strange, because I didn't think there were any road-legal Zongs in Canada.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #69

The fairings are real cheap, the rear ones are on eBay now the entire set maybe $50. The lower fairing is there also and cheap, no front fairing. My guess is the bike being parted out was in a front end collision. I'f look into it for the price.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #70

Mrs. Weldangrind would simply choke if I bought another bike without thinning the herd first. She doesn't yet know about the mini quad, but it's small enough to hide.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think I found one like that here. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...096570203.html

Strange, because I didn't think there were any road-legal Zongs in Canada.
That bike sounds as if it might be a great deal, W&G. That engine probably has traveled fewer miles than the engine in FastDoc's bike. Also, the engine should bolt right into your TW200 frame; however, this engine has the shorter, XT200 countershaft.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #72

Let me try again:

At the CDI it would appear: (unplugging CDI and checking at connector bike side)
With a 12V test light:
Green is -12V
Black/yellow fires the coil, and feeds the tach (check it is not grounded once you temporarily disconnect the coil)
Black/red is +12V (with the key on)

Ohm meter:
Blue/yellow, green/white: (pick up coil) check for continuity with ohm meter, guess? 700+ ohms, cranking, another guess .8 volts ac

Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #73

Thank you.

I also think there is a kill switch on the sidestand I have to check also.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Thank you.

I also think there is a kill switch on the sidestand I have to check also.
I haven't examined the ZS250GY wiring diagram thoroughly enough to discover a kill switch on the kick stand. However, even if the kill switch is present on the wiring diagram, don't be surprised if it is absent on the actual motorcycle. My Zongshen 200GY-2 wiring diagram contains several items not present on my bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #75

I'll check tonight. That was just something I read on a different forum. I will also try snipping or otherwise disconnecting the kill wire from the CDI.