Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Yeah, i've had some e-mail chats with john, i kinda have him confused now as before i said i needed 1 replacement and now that the other leaks i will be needing 2, i'm sure he'll do what's best and personally i have no problem paying the extra fee becuase from the racing world i come from shocks are $120, springs are $80 and coilover kits are $50 so for me to still get away with paying $100 total ( original+replacement fee) for a good pair of shocks and springs is till better than the $500 i'm used to spending.
I just purchased a 42" flat panel for 1000 and it arrived with a smashed screen..I called them and they told me I would have to pay 300 bucks for a new one, even though it arrived useless.
Thats OK though because I come from a world of DLP TV's that normally cost me 5000 a pop, so I dont really mind coughing up the extra 300 for my flat panel to get what I paid for in the first place

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #62

Good point PCD, on the auction we go for the best price we thing things are worth and there's no way i would have bid $30 more than what i won it for. I guess i'm just used to it after my electric scooter ordeal, plus it looks like these springs will fit on the shocks we use for the microsprints, so i'm sure i can sell the springs to my buddy for $30 so i'm even.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #63

You guys may think this is a slightly controversial viewpoint, but I'm going to throw it out there anyways.

I find it surprising a lot of you would pay the $30 for another pair of shocks. Where the $30 number comes from I don't know, Gio's site says a $15 charge will be charged for shipping and handling on replacement 'warranty' parts. Perhaps it's your locale that makes shipping higher than to me, since I could drive to the Gio 'store' in about 30 minutes.

The MSRP on the Gio front shocks is $229 bucks.
The auction price is about $60, give or take some plus shipping, which works out to about $75 a pair.
If you go to buy Elka shocks, upwards of $700+, or even try to find used Yamaha shocks on eBay, you're looking at, at least $200 if not more for those. From what I've seen, Mr. Gio Blog site is incorrect when he says the shocks will work on the Yamaha products he mentions. The shock is 13" eye to eye according to the Gio info page, and from what I can see, the Yamaha stuff is 16" eye to eye.

We're all worrying about charging these things up to 150 + Psi, maybe higher according to this blog... but we're also talking about a $60 Made In China product versus a $1000 pair of high quality shocks. I'd be downright scared trying to pump that kind of Psi into what I deem low quality items.

So my suggestion, instead of continually tossing money towards Gio, just stick the buggers on and see how they are? If you deem them screwed already, what are you losing? My suspicion is 90% of the people who have bought and are using these shocks, just stuck them on with 0 pressure and are finding them way better. I mean, the stock shocks on them no do nothing but barely compress and make you fight the thing over every bump and turn.

You run them with no pressure and 'wreck' the shock, what have you really wrecked? A broken shock in the first place.

I hope you all see my point.

-TT

P.S. I do see all your points, that you want what was advertised, and I can understand, but continuing to fire money out of your bank account to receive the same thing over and over again makes no sense. I don't think many, or any, of these shocks will hold that kind of pressure.. if they do, I'd expect you might be doing more damage inside than just running them with virtually none. 8O

Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #64

Good point's T but remember it's that rubber bag of air inside the reservior that cushions the oil as the shock is compressed and provides the dampening, without pressure the oil will just fill the reservior with no cushion and will probably bottom out the shock repeatedly which will wreck the shock, so as you said probably 90% of the people that have these now and always did have junk shocks but.....the softer springs make the ride feel so much better than stock i guess they didn't mind or care. I guess they should be advertised as softer than stock springs on a fancy mount, lol.
But the new rear shock with the black spring showed up this week and it's holding 150psi just fine, this looks like a new batch with much better quality than the red springed fronts i got.

BTW i've had a 2L pop bottle up to 175psi stuck on a copper pipe ( water rocket ), and that bottle is only worth 1 or 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #65

OK, time to spill my guts...but first..Turbo...you mean we're supposed to RIDE these things? I thought they were just something to sit in the garage and wrench on and drink beerr

I hogged out the bonding crap I tried to seal them with. I pulled them apart again...I took a small rubber ball (hollow), one of those kids dollar store things and shoved it in the rubber sac, filled the gold oil resovuoir 75% full and re assembled. The ball was similar to a racket ball, VERY hard to compress.

I'm either really smart or really stupid. Time will tell.

They are staying like this forever.

Will it work? Dunno

Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
OK, time to spill my guts...but first..Turbo...you mean we're supposed to RIDE these things? I thought they were just something to sit in the garage and wrench on and drink beerr
I seem to be in the minority here when I much prefer to ride them than work on them. Working on them is just a neccesity to make it more fun to ride.

I'd much prefer to have the wind whipping my lips and tree branches whacking me in the shoulders than be bent over some ankle biting piece of metal with my back screaming at me. That's just me though.

If you bottom the shock, WTF, not like they were $1000 Elka's.. they were $60 hunks of shite. You can buy over 10 pairs before you get to the cost of one good set.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I seem to be in the minority here when I much prefer to ride them than work on them. Working on them is just a neccesity to make it more fun to ride.

I'd much prefer to have the wind whipping my lips and tree branches whacking me in the shoulders than be bent over some ankle biting piece of metal with my back screaming at me. That's just me though.

If you bottom the shock, WTF, not like they were $1000 Elka's.. they were $60 hunks of sh--. You can buy over 10 pairs before you get to the cost of one good set.
C'mon, chill man.
Do you REALLY think I dont get your points? Of course I do, but I feel I've gotten to know you over the past month and can joke around a bit.

Unresolved issues nag at me...like a piece of steak caught between a pair of back molars when you're out to dinner with your boss.

I made it clear in an earlier post that these shocks were one smoke away from going in to little pieces on the bandsaw. It would have put the issue to bed for me.

I love to ride these things. WAY MORE than my 450. My 450 is something I have to steel myself for. That thing is not a joke and I dont just "hop on for a toot". Its a major undertaking to go out on it.

That. Bike. Can. Hurt. You. Badly. Very Badly. In less than 3 seconds I might add.

This beast, pssshaw...loads of fun.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
C'mon, chill man.
Do you REALLY think I dont get your points? Of course I do, but I feel I've gotten to know you over the past month and can joke around a bit.

Unresolved issues nag at me...like a piece of steak caught between a pair of back molars when you're out to dinner with your boss.

I made it clear in an earlier post that these shocks were one smoke away from going in to little pieces on the bandsaw. It would have put the issue to bed for me.

I love to ride these things. WAY MORE than my 450. My 450 is something I have to steel myself for. That thing is not a joke and I dont just "hop on for a toot". Its a major undertaking to go out on it.

That. Bike. Can. Hurt. You. Badly. Very Badly. In less than 3 seconds I might add.

Hey Pete. I'm like totally chilled. No worries.

I'm just trying to keep everyone from fire bombing the Gio warehouse over poorly manufactured shocks. 8O I'm just trying to lighten up the mood on the shocks... run 'em till they bust then buy another set. This way you want break the shock mounts with the originals ont here doing nothing.

I totally get it bugs everyone they don't hold pressure... I guess I'm just not that surprised and don't really care that much. I mean, I'm sticking them on a $250 quad... IF, it was for my YZ, I'd be much more concerned and PO'd, but also would have paid way more.

Funny what you say about your bike versus the Beast. First few minutes on the Beast I said to W&G, "This things a DOG" Felt like I could run beside it faster.. it has it's quaint charms, and does get up to speed 'okay' but it's nothing like the feeling of the YZ.

..and even with my YZ 250F (not 450) it takes me a bit to get comfortable on it. It wants to toss you even at medium throttle. When I was riding up north, I think it took me an hour just to relax. Mind you, I was climbing hills with cliffs beside me going around bends dodging deep ruts and battling viscious sun glare to boot, but by about an hour in I was just starting to enjoy myself.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
C'mon, chill man.

Hey Pete. I'm like totally chilled. No worries.

I'm just trying to keep everyone from fire bombing the Gio warehouse over poorly manufactured shocks. 8O I'm just trying to lighten up the mood on the shocks... run 'em till they bust then buy another set. This way you want break the shock mounts with the originals ont here doing nothing.

I totally get it bugs everyone they don't hold pressure... I guess I'm just not that surprised and don't really care that much. I mean, I'm sticking them on a $250 quad... IF, it was for my YZ, I'd be much more concerned and PO'd, but also would have paid way more.

Funny what you say about your bike versus the Beast. First few minutes on the Beast I said to W&G, "This things a DOG" Felt like I could run beside it faster.. it has it's quaint charms, and does get up to speed 'okay' but it's nothing like the feeling of the YZ.

..and even with my YZ 250F (not 450) it takes me a bit to get comfortable on it. It wants to toss you even at medium throttle. When I was riding up north, I think it took me an hour just to relax. Mind you, I was climbing hills with cliffs beside me going around bends dodging deep ruts and battling viscious sun glare to boot, but by about an hour in I was just starting to enjoy myself.
If the weather is nice tommorow Im gonna post a video of the beast with me or one of my kids on it.

My skills are nowhere near yours or W&G's when it comes to tuning etc, but I just got the front wheels up over 2 feet (was on driveway slope so I cheated) on the beast. I was in first. I was at the back of the seat, and I yanked on the bars, but I dont have one millisecond of hesitation.

Its hard to start. It wants choke for 15 minutes, But by God once it gets warmed up man it rocks now. All this pissing around paid off. Maybe I tuned it a bit on the "high strung" side of things. It stays running. When warm it starts before you can get your thumb off the button.

Now, I have had a few 250's, including I might add a 250R. Eventually I got a little better than the bike. Not much, just a smidgen.

The 450R I will never get better than the bike. Ever. I treat that sumbitch with the utmost respect. The kickstart alone (just the damn kickstart!!!) will break your leg if you let it. And you're not even moving yet.

What I meant about the beast is I can control it. Easily.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

If the weather is nice tommorow Im gonna post a video of the beast with me or one of my kids on it.

My skills are nowhere near yours or W&G's when it comes to tuning etc, but I just got the front wheels up over 2 feet (was on driveway slope so I cheated) on the beast. I was in first. I was at the back of the seat, and I yanked on the bars, but I dont have one millisecond of hesitation.

Its hard to start. It wants choke for 15 minutes, But by God once it gets warmed up man it rocks now. All this pissing around paid off. Maybe I tuned it a bit on the "high strung" side of things. It stays running. When warm it starts before you can get your thumb off the button.

Now, I have had a few 250's, including I might add a 250R. Eventually I got a little better than the bike. Not much, just a smidgen.

The 450R I will never get better than the bike. Ever. I treat that sumbitch with the utmost respect. The kickstart alone (just the damn kickstart!!!) will break your leg if you let it. And you're not even moving yet.

I don't think I'm gutsy enough to get better than the 250. I'm a whimp when it comes to that stuff, I lost my sense of invincibility when I was 21 I think.

I know what you're saying with the Beast. I didn't mean to come across bad mouthing it, I had a blast riding it! ..and I want to get on again, trying to figure out a way to go out this weekend. It was just I was used to the snap of the bike.

Can't wait to see the vid, Pete.

I read my YZ manual, it says to "never twist throttle when starting at risk of starter lever kickback." I just jump on it without throttle it's never farted back on me yet, and it almost always starts.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #71

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

I don't think I'm gutsy enough to get better than the 250. I'm a whimp when it comes to that stuff, I lost my sense of invincibility when I was 21 I think.

I know what you're saying with the Beast. I didn't mean to come across bad mouthing it, I had a blast riding it! ..and I want to get on again, trying to figure out a way to go out this weekend. It was just I was used to the snap of the bike.

Can't wait to see the vid, Pete.

I read my YZ manual, it says to "never twist throttle when starting at risk of starter lever kickback." I just jump on it without throttle it's never farted back on me yet, and it almost always starts.
I was 14 and in grade 9 one day when I had the sudden epiphany that I was not immortal....it was sobering. 2 yrs later I rolled a 69 Charger at 115mph. Lost my spleen. Clutch pedal snapped my left leg like a twig. Coma for 3 days (induced), and much more I'm not talking about here. So yeah, I get the mortality bit.

Buy or try a 450. You will be stunned. You will get off the bike wondering what possessed em to make bikes like this. 35hp and tq (roughly), revving like a Champ car...it is fawking awesome

Bad mouthing the beast? Meh...it is what it is...but that doesnt mean we cant have some fun with em right??

I have ZERO regrets about dropping the coin and 20hrs of my time. My time is cheap (unless you're paying for it )

Manual shmanual..when that bitch decides to bite you, it will. A 250 race bike is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Which muffler are you using Pete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I hogged out the bonding crap I tried to seal them with. I pulled them apart again...I took a small rubber ball (hollow), one of those kids dollar store things and shoved it in the rubber sac, filled the gold oil resovuoir 75% full and re assembled. The ball was similar to a racket ball, VERY hard to compress.
Pete, do you have access to a lathe? Perhaps you can modify or replicate the top cap that the schrader screws in to. If you can modify it to accept a big fat o-ring (or replicate it with a smaller groove to work the way it was designed), maybe it'll work great long-term. I'm sure that others on this forum would gladly exchange cash for that kind of fix also.

Also, I'm not convinced that this is a clean sheet design. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that parts exist for this shock that are Elka quality. Maybe a little searching would answer that question.

My $0.02.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #73

Quote:
"Weldangrind
My $0.02.
..and worth every penny D.

8)

..think I owed you one of those.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Which muffler are you using Pete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Pete, do you have access to a lathe? Perhaps you can modify or replicate the top cap that the schrader screws in to. If you can modify it to accept a big fat o-ring (or replicate it with a smaller groove to work the way it was designed), maybe it'll work great long-term. I'm sure that others on this forum would gladly exchange cash for that kind of fix also.

Also, I'm not convinced that this is a clean sheet design. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that parts exist for this shock that are Elka quality. Maybe a little searching would answer that question.

My $0.02.
Yes, but to brutal in the honesty department, it cannot be done in any way, shape, or form reflecting a cost effective manner.
Machine time is expensive. No matter who you know.

Heres what I can do for folks on a FREE basis. Send me your can. I have a hydraulic swaging machine that you dont
The adjustment is infinite, therefore I can put a little pressure on it, or I can make it come out looking like a cigar

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Yes, but to brutal in the honesty department, it cannot be done in any way, shape, or form reflecting a cost effective manner.
Machine time is expensive. No matter who you know.

Heres what I can do for folks on a FREE basis. Send me your can. I have a hydraulic swaging machine that you dont
The adjustment is infinite, therefore I can put a little pressure on it, or I can make it come out looking like a cigar
That's the idea. I don't have the machine knowledge that you have, but it seems to me that a fix is possible. If I had a lathe, I'd be happy to spin some new caps.

Don't do it for free. At least ask for Beer Store credit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer