Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #61

Hence his cutting board chain guide. That's a good choice, since cutting boards are typically UHMW plastic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I replaced the obnoxious beeping flasher unit with a left over one form my KLX I had on hand. I upgraded the KLX's to a digital LED unit when I installedthe Edge/12 O'Clock labs tail light unit. The install on the CB took some careful soldering but I got it done and it works great.
Doc, can you elaborate on this? The flasher on Son of Weldangrind's bike (which you saw at your place) has the obnoxious beeper, and I'm not sure how to perform the conversion to a standard flasher.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #63

The beeper is inside the stock flasher unit under the seat.

Easy to locate, turn on the flasher/beeper and echo-locate ;-)

It had 2 wires on it.

I took it out and fabricated a connecter to work with the 2 wire non-beeping flasher I had from my KLX. I replaced that one with a non-impedence dependant unit when I upgraded the KLX to the LED signal unit and had the flasher leftover.

I hooked it up and it did not flash :-( A quick reverse of the wires and it works perfectly.

The stock beeper was embarassingly obnoxious. I was VERY happy to be rid of it.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I'd thing with a sprocket that small the chain would drag on the swingarm. No?
I did not even take that into consideration when I put the sprocket on. I have been using the bike to commute to work 15 mi one way. I have put a lot of miles on the thing since then and the crappy rubber chain guide needed to be replaced. There was a bolt holding the rubber down that was getting eaten up and making a lot of chain noises. I got rid of that. I'm sure that the swing arm pivot will be in the wrong place no matter what sprockets you use lol. The cutting board on mine wraps around the pivot point like a bridge. I watched it closely for the first 500mi and put grease on it initially. once it wore down to the rollers in the chain all was gravy. What kind of chain guards do you guys use? I'll post some pics on my setup if you like?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #65

That beeper sound is obnoxious. The sound could actually make a blind person get confused. I have noticed that it sounds just like the crosswalk beep that we have down here in Austin. I stuffed cotton balls in mine then wrapped the heck out of it with electrical tape.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #66

Sorry everyone I don't mean to hijack fastdoc's thread. Oh what the heck. I just got done riding. We are camping on lake Bryan. We are in town to see the Aggies play tomorrow. My wife is the Aggie. I am what they call an "I do Aggie."
Here is my cutting board. Hey Weld I used a grinder to cut halfway through the board. I could not find my heatgun so I put the piece in the oven (My wife still does not know that part) then used her oven mitts to bend it to shape. Once I got it bent I ran cold water from the tap and man it got solid. I drilled and tapped a hole and put a bolt into the swingarm with lots of tread lock. It's ugly but so far so good.

This is our 1983 30' Pace Arrow. We restored the old thing. It's been a blast. I got a motorcycle carrier for the back. So far the bike has not fallen off going down the road. Hauling a bike is so much easier than towing a car!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #67

'The sound could actually make a blind person get confused.'

'I could not find my heatgun so I put the piece in the oven (My wife still does not know that part) then used her oven mitts to bend it to shape.'

'So far the bike has not fallen off going down the road. Hauling a bike is so much easier than towing a car!'

You TOTALLY fit in around here, Rando.

Good job with the cutting board. A useful China-fabrication tool. Spud still makes fun of my cutting board/luggage rack, but it works.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #68

Think I'll go look for your cutting board luggage rack right quick. I'm tethered to the internet with only 3g right now so this may take a hot minute. RV living is fare trade for high speed internet I guess.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #69

If you can find the thread it was from my Idaho trip with Spud and Ray 2 summers ago I believe. In Ride Reports.

Your RV is way cool. Enjoy the quiet time.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #70

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...=cutting+board

Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbo View Post
Think I'll go look for your cutting board luggage rack right quick. I'm tethered to the internet with only 3g right now so this may take a hot minute. RV living is fare trade for high speed internet I guess.
You live in the RV? I'm quite envious! Mrs. Weldangrind would never go for that.

Your cutting board chain guide idea is the best I've seen yet. I agree with your concept of bolting the guide into the side of the swingarm, vs. the top. That's the very idea I used on Son of Weldangrind's 125 Gio pit bike. http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...e+Chain+Slider I didn't make the one I installed, so extra points to you. BTW, UHMW plastic is available in black for cheap. They recycle chunks of white UHMW and add carbon for colour.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #72

Sold...

Sorry I know that was a quick turn-around but I am (motor)cyclically fickle.

The GY did not really fill a need for me. I have the KLX, I wanted Ron to have the $, and I found a buyer who needed an inexpensive decent bike.

So, everyone is happy, and now I have room in the garage for the Harley.

I know at least I enjoyed it a little, fixed all the little things that it needed, and gave it back/sold it on in the best condition it could be.

It sold at $900, and Ron paid like $875 for it when it was new, but he also had to pay tax license, and I think $150 shipping so a good deal for everyone.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #73

I'm glad the GY found a good home. I hope the new owner joins us on these forums.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm glad the GY found a good home. I hope the new owner joins us on these forums.
X2. It would be great to support the new owner here.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #75

I think she will. She has a user name picked out. I forgot it but it was like 'Pilot Girl'.

She's a neat gal, flys tugs for gliders, she even knew what a Maule was. I liked her immediatly :-)

She calles the bike her 'China Doll'. Ron says she rides it great.

I tried my best to be 100% open and honest about the Chinabike philosophy of humor in your heart and a wrench in your hand. I also think I had the bike as bug free as possible for her.