Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #61

I already told Bruce that I plan to make the 12 hour drive to buy my next bike from him.

As for this thread, I think we all know now what dealer to avoid. It is not AL(Shawn's) fault for what the dealer does, but they are partially responsible since the dealer does represent their company and product. It is in there best interest to do everything they can to help and Shawn is probably working on it to the best of his ability.

I am not a paid supporter of AL or any of its dealers and do not intend to imply so. I am just stating my take on this issue and the above may not be the case. That is my disclaimer.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #62

Ufortunetly this is probably my last American Lifan I will have bought.

This weekend I have rented a truck to pickup a Z50 Reproduction from a dealer 7 hours away from me.

The Money I saved from Buying a Grey Market Lifan was enough to rent the truck, gas there and back and a night stay at a cheap motel If I need to pull off the road..

I want to add......
Bruce has been a stand up guy here and on the American Lifan forums for sure.

If I ever need Parts for the American Lifan I have I will go through him.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #63

I wouldn't give up on the AL bike though. I know how you feel. I went through a similar process with my bike. Shawn was helpful, but he was not able to do much. In the end my dealer came through. It was more of an issue with the state.

Allen

Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #64

OK well my thoughts on A.L. selling those bikes to ATVD is this.

It was wrong :!: (IMO)
They come out and get all whiney/preachy about the gray market bikes and then turn around and dump a bunch of bikes that they couldnt move into the gray market. Hmmm I'm just scratching my head trying to figure that one out.
Keeps coming up HYPOCRITES but then it doesnt really matter to me as its all in the past NOW.

Some of the dealers out there appear to be serious drug users "atleast to me" in how they run their business and that cant be helped by manufactorers/suppliers like A.L. and others although I wish it could.(mandatory drug testing for potential dealers )

Ohh well atleast I can get to bruces place in about 2 hours or less if need be, I almost stopped in there when I ran to PA recently.

dsrt4
As a last resort you could always part it out and probably make more than you paid for it and then go buy something else.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #65

Nothing has happend yet. No Emails...... Nothing from American Lifan or the Dealer..

I'm not parting the bike out. Depending on what the IL State Attorney says about the situation, I may need the bike together for them.

On a side note..... They weather looks great this weekend for my 500 mile trip to The Grey Market Lifan Dealer to Pick up my new Z50 replica!!!

At Least I'll be able to ride that goofy thing this summer.......

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #66

Nothing has happend as of yet.

Shawn was able to get a hold of him after a few days of trying.
I'm not sure what the excuse was for not sending me the replacment MSO.

Shawn said the dealer couldn't give a reason to why he never answered my calls.

I am pretty sure I just need the mso.. But I contacted my State dmv and asked if there was anything else I needed anyway...

I don't know specifics as to what Shawn and the dealer talked about. I just know he finally got ahold of him...

This guy will prolly just string Shawn along too...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #67

Wow.

I'm so glad I didn't buy AL.

Despite all the poo-pooing of the Sierras, I bought one of those locally.

Sure, there isn't much of a warranty included. So I didn't expect much to begin with.

But low and behold, even after it was out of warranty I was helped by the local dealer. He said he intentionally bought a couple bikes to have "spare" parts on-hand, just in case. THAT'S a smart guy.

And the fact he helped me out, when he clearly DID NOT have any obligation to....... ensures he's got my business.

I'll be buying another bike from him in the spring. He's even offered to sell my bike FOR me, on HIS lot!

HUH?!?!?! Now there's a guy that stands by his product.

But then again there's now about 10 China-bike dealers in my area, when there used to only be two!

And Zongshen seems to be the most popular brand around here.

To get a Lifan, ya gotta go to the shady part of town and buy from a place that also sells carpets. lol

P.S.- Yeah, it's been a while since I've posted. I haven't had ANY trouble, and been too busy RIDING. Glad to see you guys are still at it! Helping people who can't get help from their dealers or AL. And letting people vent their frustration. lol

Now if only I could get my hands on a dang Shineray VII "Long March"!
Anybody got a lead on one of those?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #68

After seeing the triple trees and entire front end snap off the bike I can't bring myself to be interested in riding one of those... :?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #69

At least it could be ridden on the road...unlike a quality Lifan Brick and mortar bike...lol ...or should I just say A.L BRICK???
(loving his cheap, no warranty , running grey market bikes)
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 AM   #70

But but but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
After seeing the triple trees and entire front end snap off the bike I can't bring myself to be interested in riding one of those... :?
Yeah, I read about that too. But I know how to weld(not well!), and more importantly I know a welder that's a freakin' artist. He does that all the time for Harley guys with similar troubles.

Those things are just so dang HEAVY. And some of the custom frames for those Harley chopper things aren't exactly meant to take too much abuse. They look rad, but are more show than go. He tells me he sees at least one a month with similar stress troubles. On any part of the frame. Some of those big twins torque cracks into the frame as well.

I know, I'm making excuses for the Shineray because I just like the way they look so much.

So I'd plan on having him add some gussets when I could afford it. I don't plan on any jumping anyways!

But who knows what I'd have to get her to do if the zombies attack. 8O

I think that people place very high expectations on these bikes. I like them for their price. And that's really it. And with the help of this site, I've found some weaknesses to address. And planned accordingly. And they're WAY cooler than scooters.
Ever heard that joke?

What do scooters and fat girls have in common?

(I'm not going to finish that one unless asked to do so! lol)

Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #71

Fun to ride until your friends see you...

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
At least it could be ridden on the road...unlike a quality Lifan Brick and mortar bike...lol ...or should I just say A.L BRICK???
(loving his cheap, no warranty , running grey market bikes)
Rub it in why dont ya! :(

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #73

If you can't be part of the cure...be part of the problem :!:
:wink:

Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #74

I'm no expert, but IIRC it's not legal to sell a new bike without an MSO (some dealers will send it in and get a title for you)... either way they are supposed to get some form of documentation to you that shows the legal status of the bike.
If all else fails, check with the relevant state's attorney general. It might just be the leverage you need to get the dealer moving.

Failing that, see if you can get a "builder's title" on the bike. Here in Tennessee all it takes is an inspection to see that the bike is safe and road worthy, then the state issues a new VIN and title.

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #75

I have contacted the IL state Attorney and the BBB about them

Niether the BBB or the IL state has contacted me back.

American Lifan told me they got ahold of him one time and that was it. He doesn't return any of their calls.

Now they know what I have been going through with this guy since I bought the bike...

Everything has to go through him.
He has to fill out a affidavit and sign and fill out the replacement MSO.

Seems simple but even with American Lifan Finally getting involved they cannot get anywhere with him either.