Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #61

Nice work on the top mount and headlight mount. Your dash inspired me to do something similar, and member Sucksqueezebangblow dropped by and whipped up a quick sheetmetal dash like yours. It's temporary until my speedometer arrives, but it'll do nicely.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #62

Well I am reading your TW200 work regularly also. Good stuff.
Nothing like bringing bikes back from the "dead" eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Nice work on the top mount and headlight mount. Your dash inspired me to do something similar, and member Sucksqueezebangblow dropped by and whipped up a quick sheetmetal dash like yours. It's temporary until my speedometer arrives, but it'll do nicely.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #63

Thanks! I hope to have some updates soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #64

Took it for a ride!

Got 2 half days of work in on it this weekend, 99% of the wiring is done,
got the chain on, (had to clearance the front sprocket guard and run the wiring a different way due to the 520 sprocket. )
Got the vapor most of the way hooked up. And put the seat back on and ran the repair tank (I still need to clear coat the tank and sidepanels. so do not want gas in the tank yet) threw the plate on (A VT one as I had to reg it there so I can then get a title in ma. ) and took it for a ride.

Top speed is 65, (Can probably squeeze 70 if I tried) and everything runs good. good torque and power. (better than the stock 175 ) I am going to keep an eye out for a smaller rear sprocket for a little more top end. )

I did an oil change yesterday and this am a valve adjustment.

Here is a quick walk around vid, I was trying to show the vapor but had some glare.

Now just clean up paint add my other new parts (cables, tires, brakes ) and then it will be done.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #65

Terrific news. Sounds like it's pretty fast too!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #66

Well done! You're nearly there.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #67

Not much to add, I have it fully torn down and discovered the swingarm bushing/metal insert where worn, luckily my parts bike ones where like new so swap the swingarms. I got all the rust and paint off the swingarm with electrolysis. Works a treat. http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/m...ElecSetup.html
for more info. The best part is no mess and it works while I am at the day job. Hope to get the rest of the frame painted and maybe start reassembly this weekend.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #68

Thanks for the link. That's the very method I used to remove rust from the exhaust header of an '81 XL250S: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...=13078&start=0

Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #69

Got the thing painted and going back together. (no pics yet sorry)
went to the DOT (RMV) and swapped the plates from the yam and got my title, then went to get the OHV reg if I want to go offroad. they shut me down with the excuse of your Vin is too short (they want 17 characters and the XL is only 12) so now the fight begins... I got high res pics of all the numbers went to the local honda dealer and copied the vin info on the XL from their manual, and I have an email into the headquarters to see if I can just stick Honda in front of the number. I do SO love this state.

but in other news I sold the DT175 and got a few side jobs so the few remaining parts for the XL have been ordered. (mirrors, 35 tooth rear sprocket, and a few other small items. I hope to have it ready for a ride to work next week.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #70

Good work, Gloud! Indeed, you've got to love the bureaucrats! :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #71

Man the licensing part can be a terrible PIA in some places sometimes, even a complete roadblock. I hope it goes well with you. Some states are easy. I think a guy can plate a donkey or a riding mower in Idaho. Some places are hard. MA and NJ come to mind. WA is pretty OK.

You need off road AND on road registration there? Here if you have a plate you're automatically good to go everywhere.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Man the licensing part can be a terrible PIA in some places sometimes, even a complete roadblock. I hope it goes well with you. Some states are easy. I think a guy can plate a donkey or a riding mower in Idaho. ...
Indeed, one of my neighbors has a plated donkey, and another has a plated lawnmower.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #73

Plated donkeys on the street are well documented in the Gospels.

Hosanna in the highest!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #74

They in the last 2 years changed it so we have to have 2 registrations.
the hold up for the fish and game is the 12 dig number, but before 1981 they could be anything from 12 to 17. I found some documentation on that on the nhtsa web site so another piece of paper on my pile. I have to drive 45 mins to this office too. so I am trying to get it approved BEFORE I go back.

I have been emailing headquarters and sent the NHTSA web link. Hey I can ride it on the road anyway.

And yes I have 12 more years to max out my state retirement and I am heading to Texas most likely after that. Mass is SUCH a PINTA. This is the joy of trying to be legal.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #75

Good for you for taking the high road.

I had a little trouble registering the TS250 for the same reason, but then the owner of the agency walked over and said (to the clerk) "Oh, you just do this..." Then he went clickety click on the keyboard and fixed it. God bless him; he's the reason I keep going to that office.

I'll wait right here for pics.