Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #61

I just commenced drilling the head off, and the drill bit is getting destroyed. Is this bolt made of hardened steel?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post
...drill bit is getting destroyed...
Next time use some cutting fluid during the process

Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #63

So I got the screw out, the clutch cover off, and everything apart. Now I need to get the small retaining screw out that keeps the clutch linkage in and IT stripped out. I am really starting to get pissed at this bike, as it seems every screw is over tightened to the point that even if I use the proper tool they will strip out.

The kicker is I looked down the clutch push rod shaft in the middle of the clutch and can see the linkage in the end. It is damaged. This means getting that out is what will fix my shifting problem. If I work on this bike any more my heads going to explode, so I'm gonna go to work and use the time to clear my head. Will resume working on the bike tomorrow.

I feel this is an accurate representation of me right now:

Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #64

You are making progress on this project and that is all that matters. You are already further along than 90% of the people out there who would have stopped a that first stripped bolt.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #65

bolts

im no expert, but if they possibly used a red type locktite,,it sometimes helps to heat the bolt pryor to wrenching on it to break or melt the bond,, it seems to help me.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #66

How would you go about removing this bolt? I am thinking heat it up then use a screw extractor, however if the bolt is just extremely tight then the heat wont do much and the extractor will just fail. Perhaps notching the head then using heat with a wide flat head screwdriver would do the job.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #67

I'm with Fish on this; red Loctite needs heat.

Even if it doesn't have red Loctite on it, heat is often your friend with a tight bolt. If it's really stubborn, heat it up and then hit it with WD-40. It instantly quenches the bolt and wicks into the threads, and usually the bolt will back out.

Can you show us a pic of the fastener that is really tight?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #68

Was just about to post it when I saw you said that, here is the fastener.

Tomorrow after school I'm gonna pick up a bottle of butane to refill my micro torch and a pack of dremel cutting heads to make the notch in the screw. I'm not sure how I'm going to heat the screw without melting the seal that is around the linkage, so I guess Ill need to order one of those as well.

Edit: I'm going to need to order a new linkage and possibly seal, how would I go about finding this on ebay/taobao?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:32 AM   #69

Once you make the notch, try an impact.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #70

That's what I'm thinking, I know that would get it out for sure. What is the flat head attachment called for an air impact gun, I can't seem to find them at my local home depot or lowes.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #71

Fig 10 of http://www.puzey.co.za/Resources/Puz...e%205.06mb.pdf
Just get the genuine Suzi parts from taobao (OR "stealer") if says K157FMI...
---
Did u heard that "JIS" http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-screwdrivers/ (Cost peanut from Japanese chain store where i live)? The Philips will F***ed it ...

Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #72

Excellent point. What often resembles Phillips on a motorcycle is actually JIS.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #73

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking, I know that would get it out for sure. What is the flat head attachment called for an air impact gun, I can't seem to find them at my local home depot or lowes.
Other than flat head or slotted, I don't know of a specific name. I didn't buy mine separately; they came with one of these:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...et/A-p8311615e

Old 04-25-2015, 12:41 AM   #74

I cut a notch in the head of the screw and heated it with a torch. I then put a screwdriver into one side of the notch and banged on it until it came loose. I got all the parts out and will post a pic of the linkage in a little bit.

Now the new problem is one of the studs that go into the case for the oil filter cover is stripped in the case. I'm thinking either a heli coil or just jb welding the stud into the case.

I also wanted to address the JIS vs philips thing. Ever since I got my first motorized vehicle pretty much every "phillips head" screw has, in actuality, been a JIS. Because of this I have been wrongfully referring to JIS screws as Phillips heads since more people know what a Phillips head is than a JIS, however this just leads to confusion and possible compatibility issues as you guys have stated. Thank you for posting that information, it will help many future riders that come across this thread!

Last edited by The Thinker; 04-25-2015 at 03:25 AM.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #75

Quote:
I cut a notch in the head of the screw and heated it with a torch. I then put a screwdriver into one side of the notch and banged on it until it came loose. I got all the parts out and will post a pic of the linkage in a little bit.

Now the new problem is one of the studs that go into the case for the oil filter cover is stripped in the case. I'm thinking either a heli coil or just jb welding the stud into the case.
if it's a 6mm... retap it to 1/4UNC.... 1/4 = 6.4mm
no drilling just run the 1/4 tap in the striped hole...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Tags
qlink