Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #61

Loft is done and it is fairly large.I have a bunch of RC stuff up there and other junk and still have the trailer to unload.

These pics were taken when it was only half done.

I now have 2/3rd's of the lights up in there and lots of floor space again.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #62

Those must be the fuuuture projects up there.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #63

TeamCheap,

Does this mean that you've installed new posts and beams to support the loft?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #64

Some future projects but just RC cars/trucks.I have more RC stuff than I remember buying .

We built a 12x16 loft.
We added 5 2"x6"x22' cross ties and then put one 4x6 post against the back wall and another 4x6 post out 10' from the back wall to keep some floor space open towards the front of the garage.
In the 4x6 posts we set 2 2"x6"x16' boards to support the 22" long cross ties.I notched the posts to set the 2x6's into them, one on each side.

The thing is solid as a rock but I still want to put a couple of brackets at the post bottoms to hold them securely.

I hated to put a post in the middle of the garage but I wanted the loft to be supported.I'll make the best of it with a retractable cord and hose reels mounted to it.

The posts are actually offset to the garage center since I preferred to center the posts to the garage door.

I'll post a picture of the finished loft soon that last picture was just the first half.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #65

That makes perfect sense to center the post with the door(s).

A sturdy post can also serve as a mount for a bench grinder. In my case, I have a range hood that I'm going to install (some day :roll: ) to draw welding fumes up and out. The range hood will be mounted near the top of the post, and I'll just wheel the welding table underneath.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #66

Oh that reminds me that I need a steel table set up to weld on I'm sick and tired of welding outside like I mostly did at my other house.The old garage was to small and I was afraid of burning it down plus the fumes.

I have a piece of steel that I did most of my cutting/grinding on that I'll most likely use as a table top but it is a little bent up so maybe a new piece of 1/4x3'x5' would be better.I'm thinking I need a 3'x5' table with sheet metal walls on the back and sides with a lighted exhaust hood.
I like the range hood vent idea.

I guess I should make or buy a real welding cart for my welder, up until now its just been on an old serving cart .

I installed some lighting outside the garage finally so now we can see what we're doing, before it was pitch black out there until we got inside and turned some lights on.

The wiring at this house is a scary mess and I'll need to get it straightened out before I can safely use it to weld with.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #67

Bonus points if the serving cart is stainless. 8)

I'm with you on the welding table. I do most of my welding outside right now, and it sucks. My welding table project is in pieces in the shed right now.

I tell ya, I'm going to have a "welding day" one of these days, when I'll get all of this junk sorted out.

On that topic, I aquired a 48" wide door that I want to hang in a frame under my deck to close it off. The door is pretty heavy, although it's under 100 pounds. Would you recommend a steel frame for it, or do you think a wood frame would support it?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #68

The cart is stainless steel with two formica particle board shelfs.

I think a solid wood frame would work but I'd probably go with 3 hinges or just make a steel jamb for it out of 2"x1/8" flat stock or even angle iron.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #69

Heres few more pictures of the mess and loft.
The six 4' lights really brighten it up.

This is a shot over the garage door there is a small overhang out front and this is the cavity inside.Huge header over the door.

Heres a shot of the 6' loft overhang, the last cross tie is doubled up.

Future home of my 18' long workbench.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #70

You and I have some of the same toys.

You can insert an ABS plumbing adapter into the dust port of your tablesaw, and then attach a sink drain compression fitting to that. You can then insert a Shop Vac pipe into the compression fitting and pull out most of the sawdust during operation. It works really well if you mount the saw on a plywood base and then seal up the perimeter with silicone.

I fastened a 1 x 2 to the bottom of the plywood base so I can easily clamp it in the Workmate. I like having many tools and one base. Storage is much easier.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #71

That tablesaw even though it is a cheapee from HF has been very helpful.
I should have made a more permanent setup for it but just never did.Wood working is not my favorite thing to do I like playing with steel more.

I have been thinking about maybe setting a piece of square 2" steel tubing into the concrete floor and use it as a base to hold things like a bender, vise or whatever but I doubt I'll do it now that the floor is painted.
I most likely will make a universal base that I can fasten to the floor using the already installed anchor points from the previous owner once I find what screws into those things.

That garage is a total mess right now but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #72

Well I got a bit more done in the garage but nothing to drastic I almost have the back corner cleared out to make a more permanent workbench out of scraps.

I added a junction box setup in the attic for the living room and one line down so far to power up our tv and other junk.(dsl, Wii, wireless router)
I used a two gang plastic box and used the decora plugs (retangle looking outlets/stuff) and I put in combo video-phone jacks on the other side.
So we now have an outlet with the phone and video jack all in one nice neat package.

With the junction box setup in the attic I can now begin to rewire the whole living room and then move onto other rooms as time/money allows.

I need to get back into the kitchen and get that closer to being finished or turkey day will be a bit of a bummer for me .

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #73

Off topic I know, but what are you doing with the old bug? Is it for a restore project or a baja bug?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #74

The bug is a convertable but I wanted to try and make a removeable hardtop for it.

The plan is to put the body on a 4 door chevy tracker chassis 4wd with a roll cage and other goodies.
I may end up going the easy/cheap route and just put it on a standard bug chassis with some mods.

I wanted to work on it this summer but this house took all my time and then some.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
The bug is a convertable but I wanted to try and make a removeable hardtop for it.

The plan is to put the body on a 4 door chevy tracker chassis 4wd with a roll cage and other goodies.
I may end up going the easy/cheap route and just put it on a standard bug chassis with some mods.

I wanted to work on it this summer but this house took all my time and then some.
Cool! Though the house is more important to finish first, seeing as you have to live in it and all . Amazing how much stuff we accumilate over the years, I would hate to move... I got too much stuff!

Regards,
Stew