Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #46

Re: Vbike 250T Review (250T vs. V4SW) Lots O'Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex
KD:

Looking at purchasing one of these Quads shortly, the KMD ATV-57 version with the flying machine sticker. Will debadge those stickers immediately upon receipt, but specifically, I want to know how bright are the headlights and what bulbs do they use?

Thanks bud, and good review, I hope your notchy transmission got resolved, I also found the Rotella 15-40 oil helped smooth out all of my Zongshen Sierras, hope it helps you as well.
Bex,

The tranny has indeed improved quite a bit with the Rotella! Still a little hard getting into reverse sometimes...but otherwise, it's pretty good.

I'll check the headlights for ya tonight (I tried 'em once already- but after having messed with 3 bikes lately, I want to make sure I give you accurate info). The lights on the V4SW were superb (even for a Mr. Magoo like me)- if these are the same, they should be good.

I believe I've seen this ATV-57 a couple of hundred bucks cheaper elsewhere- I forget where, but you might want to Google, then research the company to see if they're decent, and save a few hundred bucks.

Might want to see if you can get the newer model, too ("KMD Moto sports" graphics instead of flying machine), with the better hitch, front A-arm protectors, etc.

If you order from Vbike, let me know if yours comes with the bigger tires. Tim swears that all the others that he has does have the big tires- don't understand why I got gypped (and why he wants me to send my tires back firstg- making my bike immobile for a few weeks, before he'll exchange them- since this is not a warranty issue, but rather some kinda screw-up on his end. He should indeed send me the correct tires, and then pay the shipping for me to return these.

I am also still having carb issues. I have the carb off now, and will take it apart tonight. Gave me trouble from the second time I used the bike.

This 250T is not the worst China bike out there...but in my opinion, you can do better. I think ATVdiscounters has the V4SW for a few bucks less than what Vbike gets for this 250T (I think they call it the ATV 19-5). ATVdisc doesn't have the best reputation...but to get the V4SW, which is vastly suiperior to this 250T (Newer motor, better exhaust, more stable, etc.) I personally would take the chance. (In fact, if they still have them if/when I can sell these, I may just get one from them myself)

Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #47

Re: Vbike 250T Review (250T vs. V4SW) Lots O'Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex
KD:

Looking at purchasing one of these Quads shortly, the KMD ATV-57 version with the flying machine sticker.
Oh Bex, if you do get one please be sure to let us know how yours turns out. Want to see a happy face on a 250cc T owner (not that I want KD to be singled out for being screwed, but would like to hear another review of one)

Also, maybe a little off topic, but can anyone suggest a battery replacement for my V4SW? Seems my neighbor has crashed the battery that came with it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #48

Heheh...admittedly, I might be a little prejudiced about the 250T, since it was not as described, and since it had to fill the shoes...err...uh...tires of the V4SW.

If I put aside the issues of it not being as described, and just rate it for what it is, it's not a bad bike. Under this scenario, my two major complaints with it would be that a)It is the least stable of all bikes I have ever ridden. 2)[sic]It just is not as fast/doesn't have the power of the V4SW (which was also a 250).

Bear in mind that I did fix the high-end bogging-down today. I removed the carb (Luckily, I had to remove the intake manifold for clearance, and discovered that the lower, hard-to-get-at bolt holding it to the engine was not very tight- may have been contributing to the problem); took the carb apart and cleaned it out (there was something insiode that resembled a fly's wing!); adjusted the float to not shut off the gas supply quite so soon; and reset the mixture (It came with the mixture screw turned out about 5x!!!- I guess this was to try and compensate for the above mentioned defects...which it did not do very well).

Reinstalled with the mixture set at 2x; all clean and bolts properlyu tightened (Turns out, I did not have to adjust the throttle slide needle- it was already set to 1 notch from full-rich)- She started right up and sounded almost as good as the V4SW- except that the V4SW had a better, freer-flowing exhaust.

Test-rode, and, you-reeka![sic]- no more bogging! Sounds great. But even so, it's still hard to get enough power to get into 4th gear on level-ground/slight uphill, whereas the V4SW not only got into 4th easily (and would FLY!) but left me looking for a 5th. Apparently my research on this engine is accurate- that it puts out 5HP less than the V4SW's engine- a 25% difference.

What I like about this bike: It is very nimble and "light" to ride- if only the stability were better, so that one could take advantage of the easy handling. It's fun to ride....but I find myself looking for that extra speed at the top end, which the V4SW had plenty of.

At least it sounds good and runs like a Swiss watch now since I played with the carb.

(((Bex, I will be checking the headlights shortly- it was pouring last night...and just started again now...but I have my rain suit jacket right here already....)))

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #49

O-K, Bex,

Checked the headlights: The brights are good and bright- very nice.

The low beams don't work at all!!!

...and the brake light is always on when you have the lights turned on!!

This is wearying me! I seem to have succumbed to the typical-Chinese-junk syndrome that I've heard so many others warn about.

I can't believe that the Kandi/V4SW was so good and problem free, for the entire month I had it- as well as fast and stable...while this 250T and 300 Monster have more problems than I can count and are not even two weeks old yet!

My advice to everyone is to only consider the Chinese bikes that have been shown by others to be of good quality- avoid the ones that have constant problems reported.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyDonkey
...My advice to everyone is to only consider the Chinese bikes that have been shown by others to be of good quality- avoid the ones that have constant problems reported.
That says it all, in a nutshell!

Thank you for telling the truth about your experiences with these quads.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #51

BTW., I think I forgot to mention: The 250T does have a vented gas cap. (At least this one does...yours may vary....)

Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #52

Quick update:

Haven't been able to sell either of these Vbikes thus far- and I've had them for well over a month now.

I find myself riding the 250T much more often than the 300 Monster- It's a fun ride, and is light and nimble. Even though it is painfully obvious that is about 20% less powerful than the V4SW...at least it is a quiet bike. (A freer-flowing exhaust, and 30mm carb would make this thing fly- but I really don't need to go that fast)

This 250T has proven to be quite reliable thus far. After the carb cleaning, it has not given me any problems. All in all, I'd still buy this bike for my 27 acres, rather than springing for comparable Jap bike at well over twice the price, or even over a used Jap.

Sucks that it costs more than the V4SW though...and Tim should not sell it as an "upfated V4SW" when in fact, it is a downgrade at a higher price.

But all in all, I'm enjoying this bike...just wish I could sell the 300 Monstrosity!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #53

Hey KD and all you fellow riders.. Well to start off, I would like to let you all know I haven't forgot about all you and all your input on bikes. And I am sorry for not getting back to all of you after getting my V4SW back in April. Well I think I posted that it came Via R&L freight, and had problems with the condition of the bike,,but a lil time and know how, got it all fixed up and have gone riding quite a bit. Also have watched my g/f flip it twice while hill climing and have broke a few bolts, other than that, it really is a great ATV. As some of you know, I live in western Washington and it rains here all the time, also the vast amount of "woods" make it a great place to ride. I also have a few other bikes aswell. And now that school is out for the summer, I should have some pics for all you to view. I will post them as soon as I can, mind you that the bike will be dirty, lol..

Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #54

How long does it take to hear back from the dealer (Tim) ?

How is the plastic body holding up ?

Have you experienced any front end looseness ?

How much wider is the front track fron the rear ?

I hear that sport bikes have a wider front end, but I am not sure about it.;

Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #55

What year is bike, what was on the paper work ?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #56

Lonezuk,

To answer your questions:

Getting in touch with Tim(the dealer) is not a problem- They answer the phone. If you email him, he gets back to you very fast, also (he's usually on till about midnight). And the few times I've needed parts exchanged under warranty, he shipped them out quickly (after rfeceiving my old ones).

The only complaint I have with him, is that no matter how many questions you ask before purchasing...you can't trust the answers you get. I don't think he is purposely lying though...I think rather that he sometiomes doesn't know what exactly is in the boxes- as it seems with these Chinese manufacturers, even the importers don't know exactly what they are getting..or they unknowingly get a mixed shipment. He should be more careful and take more care to find out real answers to specific questions. You can't help but like the guy though!

Thankfully, there have been no issues with the plastic body. Then again, I'm a pretty gentle rider. I don't anticipate the body being a problem though- it's not cheesey or anything...to me, it seems just as good as the plastic on the Jap bikes.

No looseness in the front-end so far- I've got about 50 miles on the 250T so far.... I'm very sensitive to steering issues- be it with cars or anything- I loike a good, tighht front-end....and I have no complaints with the 250T in that area. (In fact, I have to say, it handles really well- that's the thing I like best about this bike)

The front is wider- haven't measured, but I'd guess about 4 inches wider than the back overall. Haven't been able to sell this bike...so I may get a set of spacers for the rear, to make the bike more stable, as it is rather tipsy. (My biggest complaint with this model).

It is a 2008 model. (Bought in April of 09 from dealer)

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #57

Final thoughts on the 250T:

Well....I finally sold it. Even made a few bucks on it, after putting about 60 miles on it.

O-K, my overall impression: It is not a bad bike for the price. It's best feature is the way it handles- very light and nimble.

If you're thinking of upgrading from a V4SW...the 250T is not an upgrade- it's a downgrade- but if you're just looking for an ATV for <$1400, this is still probably the best bike for that price that you will find.

Had it for 4 months. No issues, other than initially needing to clean out the carb, recalibrate it and re-adjust the float. It always started right up, and the tranny problem I had mentioned initially cleared up after a little riding and using the Rotella oil.

I sold it to a nice young man, and I think he will be happy with it.

Oh..one thing: As mentioned previously- the front brakes were pretty much worthless. They appeared to be the same brakes as on the V4SW, but the ones on the V4SW worked good- as good as can be expected for drums. But these on the 250T, even after I tried adjusting them, just never had that much stopping power. Anyone else have that problem with this model?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #58

My son's (ok - we both ride it a lot) 250T front brakes are pretty pathetic. You can tell they are helping, but not enough to haul it down from top speed very quickly. I suppose the 23" tires don't help much. I'm betting that these brakes are a take off of a much smaller ATV where they probably work fine.