Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #46

Just a thought-- Forgive me if it's already been checked, I haven't ben following this thread ultra-close...

But! If the bike was severely soaked, is there any chance the fuel got contaminated? I mean if it was right in the drink, it could very well have got some up in the fuel tank, which would explain a lot of your troubles, and fit the symptoms.

(And fresh fuel for a fresh carb is always a good idea... )

--Vince

Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #47

Excellent point Vince.

Fresh fuel never hurts.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #48

good fuel

Yes. I have put fresh fuel in a couple times. I went ahead and ordered a new PZ30 Carburetor and I bought a Carb wire cleaning set. After reading all your suggestions and some of the stuff over on ThumperTalk Forums I realize its most likely fuel/carb issues. I think I needed to adjust my Fuel/Air mixture screw on my carb back to factory settings. Someone said its was 2 turns out from all way in. I also put my throttle needle in the middle notch.

Hopefully, I adjusted my valves right also. Pray for rain.

With all this information I think I might be able to get my old DB-27 running too. Thanks you all. I will keep you updated.

Michael A

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #49

The factory might set the carb at two turns out from seated, but that doesn't make it ideal for you elevation. It is usually only a place to start that allows you to fine tune from there.

The air / fuel screw is responsible for two things: the idle circuit and the transition from idle to main. The ideal setting will produce a smooth transition from idle to main without a bog, and it will generally be the highest idle at a given idle speed setting. What that means is to set the idle screw for whatever you wish (not too high or you risk overheating during trail riding), and then trim the air / fuel screw in and out, observing how it changes the idle. The point where the air / fuel screw provides the highest idle is usually also the correct setting for your elevation (you might need to trim it a bit more to eliminate bog). After you're satisfied, you might need to adjust the idle screw again.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #50

thanks

thanks mate. i cant wait till my new carb gets here. Then i will know!

Michael A

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #51

Total Bummer

I installed my new carb in my Xmoto 250cc and it still wont start! It putters just a bit like its going to start and then nothing. Now my battery is drained again from trying to start it. Any Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Is my motor screwed up??? I don't know what to do. I am ready to throw in the towel.

Michael A

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #52

At this point, your new carb is an unknown.

Can you install the new carb on your other bike and try it? That will confirm finally whether you have a carb or engine issue.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #53

oops

can't believe what i did. I recieved my new carb for the xmoto 250cc and my db-27 at same time and the packages didnt say which was which. anyways, i installed the DB-27 carb on the Xmoto and the carb is a PZ27. The xmoto carb is a PZ30. Duh-oooooo...i will put the right carb on xmoto tonight and hopefully it will start.

Michael A

Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #54

Horay!

I installed the correct PZ30 Carburetor on my Xmoto 250cc along with the correct Throttle cable and it finally freakin' started. I just had to choke it a little then took choke off and had to keep it half to full throttle to keep it running. Do I need to adjust idle screw??? What direction do I need to turn the idle screw to increase the idle??? Clockwise or counter clockwise??? Also, I noticed the idle screw is on the opposite side of the carburetor on my new one as compared to my original carb.

Thanks for all the help with this project gentlemen. I will help other poor souls. I believe I am on my way. Gonna try to get the old DB-27 running now by going back to stock Air, Carb and exhaust.

Michael A

Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #55

WON'T START

Well, I know better than to get my hopes up on these Chinese bikes. My bike won't start. It putters like it wants to start but it will not start and now my battery is totally dead again. I have had to recharge my battery several times because trying to start my bike drains it. Is there something the matter with my engine??? Any help or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Michael A

Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #56

Re: WON'T START

Quote:
Originally Posted by puush
Well, I know better than to get my hopes up on these Chinese bikes. My bike won't start. It putters like it wants to start but it will not start and now my battery is totally dead again. I have had to recharge my battery several times because trying to start my bike drains it. Is there something the matter with my engine??? Any help or solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Michael A
You have good fuel flow to the carb from the petcock?
Fuel drains from the float bowl when the drain screw is opened?
No kinks in the fuel tubing?
Air filter in place?
Look in the carb throat and make sure the choke is open when it says it is opened. (yes, I've seen poorly adjusted cables not operate the choke properly.)
1: Close the pilot screw until it is gently, fully seated. You just want it to stop turning, not be tight.
2: Open the pilot screw 2 full turns
3: Close the choke and try to start the bike.
If it starts, push the choke to half way.
It may need some throttle to keep running.
If so, turn in the idle adjust screw (not the pilot screw) until it will hold an idle without a hand on the throttle.
It may be idling a little fast at this point. Let it warm up and Open the choke all the way.
Now is the time to adjust the pilot screw and the idle screw until you can get the specified idle speed.
Only turn the pilot screw about 1/4 turn at a time.
I did this on my 200cc and got it idling fairly well.
Had to do this on a lot of the glow engined model airplanes I used to fly as well.

When (not if) you run the battery down with all the starting, get out the old trusty jumper cables.
Hook them to the bike and your car (not running) battery. You'll have plenty of power for numerous starts.
Don't start and run the car while the bike is plugged up, that could hury the bike battery.
Long winded, but that's what I've done before when I've had the same type carb problems.
Bill

Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #57

Still won't Start

My bike still won't start. It putters and sounds like its going to start but then it doesn't.

1. Fuel is going from the Fuel Petcock to the Carb. I checked this.
2. Fuel drained from the float bowl ok.
3. There are no kinks in the fuel line from what I can see. Fuel line from Tank to fuel petcock to carb is ok.
4. Air filter is very clean and in place.
5. Choke stays open when it is open.

6. I turned Pilot Screw in until it stopped and turned it back out 2 turns.
7. I connected jumper cables from car to dirt bike battery.
8. I closed Choke and tried to start bike and gave it some throttle. It sputtered like it was going to start but then it will not start. It would start to sputter a little bit with choke on and off like it was attempting to start but it will not start.
9. Battery dead again.

I don't know what else to do. Do you all think this is a fixable situation??? I been working on this for almost a month. The bike is only few months old. Thanks for all your help.

Michael A

Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #58

fixable

is my bike fixable? do I have an engine problems? If i take my air filter off and spray starter fluid straight into the carb the bike should start briefly correct? What else could cause it not to start?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #59

bummer

i as you can see from my videos. My old DB-27 took much more of a beating last year than my new xmoto 250cc i bought just couple months ago.

What sucks is I can't even take my bike to a bike shop or small engine mechanic because no one wants to work on Chinese bikes even though I would pay good money.

Michael A

Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #60

Have you checked your coil? Is the plug getting fouled? It would seem to me that you may have a weak spark situation.