Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
This sprocket fits Suzuki GS and GN 125 and Hyosung GV, GT and RX 125's and probably a few other of there 125's. Amazon has them. Drop down to a 42 tooth on the rear and get better highway cruising speeds. https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...001AVS8VG?th=1
Thanks for the tips on the Suzuki models that this would fit. That should help tremendously in finding the sprocket.

I’m riding off road all summer. Trails. Mud. I won’t really be on the road. So I’d like to keep the same stock gearing ratio for this summer at least. I don’t want to lose my first gear fun. So I need the 46 or the 45 tooth. I think. I wish this wasn’t so stressful.

You know, I do have an option to receive a package. I just have to drive two hours to get it. Not ideal. But if there is no other way for me to get a 46 or 45 to sprocket that fits. I could do it.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #47

Also, how bad are the original sprockets? Will they wear down much faster than JT sprockets? Is the metal that inferior? Does JT sprockets add some kind of hardening or something to it that makes it last longer?

The sprocket I need is in stock at KP Moto club. But it’s the original one.

I have had no problem finding the front sprocket on Amazon. There is a JT sprocket that is working just right for that. It’s already in my shopping cart.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #48

So I got the front sprocket on the way. Along with a bunch of other riding gear. Safety gear. I already have the 428 chain. Should I just use the stock sprocket on the back? Since I can’t find it anywhere else? I’ve been calling around to motorcycle shops and they don’t want to talk to me unless I have a bike model and year. They can’t look it up any other way. I went ahead and gave them the Suzuki bikes, but they have never even heard of these things. Those bikes weren’t available in their system to look up.

Is 4000 miles or so typical to get out of a sprocket? Or should they be lasting longer than that? Because mine is all scooped out after 4000 miles. The stock sprocket.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #49

Those bikes are from the 80's and 90's so sprockets can be harder to find. You replace both sprockets and chain. If you don't replace the rear sprocket you will end up wearing the chain out much quicker.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Those bikes are from the 80's and 90's so sprockets can be harder to find. You replace both sprockets and chain. If you don't replace the rear sprocket you will end up wearing the chain out much quicker.

Definitely. I hear you. You have to replace everything at once. Both sprockets and chain. I have the front sprocket on the way, I already have the chain. I’m just wondering if using the stock sprocket from KP Moto club is OK.

I would be mixing a JT front sprocket with the stock xpect rear sprocket. I would get the stock sprocket brand new from KP Moto club. It’s the only thing I can find that actually fits and is the right number of teeth.

What I’m wondering is if it’s total garbage. Everybody seems to replace their sprockets right away. I’m not sure why that is. Can I count on the stock sprocket to last as long as a JT sprocket?

I got 4000 miles or so out of the sprocket I have now. Is that normal? Or do the JT sprockets last a lot longer than that?

Old 05-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Definitely. I hear you. You have to replace everything at once. Both sprockets and chain. I have the front sprocket on the way, I already have the chain. I’m just wondering if using the stock sprocket from KP Moto club is OK.

I would be mixing a JT front sprocket with the stock xpect rear sprocket. I would get the stock sprocket brand new from KP Moto club. It’s the only thing I can find that actually fits and is the right number of teeth.

What I’m wondering is if it’s total garbage. Everybody seems to replace their sprockets right away. I’m not sure why that is. Can I count on the stock sprocket to last as long as a JT sprocket?

I got 4000 miles or so out of the sprocket I have now. Is that normal? Or do the JT sprockets last a lot longer than that?
The JT Sprockets do last much longer. I have over 8000 miles on the one on my Hawk with minimal signs of wear and it's been through lots of off road sand and mud. Another option would be to contact PBI sprockets. They might have something available in steel. Most of the custom sprockets are aluminum which have held up well on my X22R when i had it. https://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=503
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #52

Thanks, Jerry. And thank you for your patience. I know these questions must seem ridiculous. I’m just trying to understand everything and get ramped up for this big overhaul.

I mean, I guess my sprocket is still OK. I guess I am actually replacing it just because I am replacing the chain. So I probably would have got more than 4000 miles out of it.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #53

Well, I went ahead and got the stock sprocket from kpmotoclub.com.

At least I know it will fit and it’s the right number of teeth. Even if it’s made out of lesser metal.

Maybe by the time this one is dead, we will have some supply chains back in order.