Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #46

Now that is fine tuning a mixture. Just when you open that slide and the air begins to flow. When it warms up it goes away in terms of initial off idle response (that is why it hasn't bugged me as much) but if you run it in 4th gear about 20 miles an hour and slightly open the throttle you can still get that scratchy feeling. You mentioned that technique once and I saw some other places, best thing you can do to check the Pilot operation. Winter weather horrible, when I get some time I am going to go up on the pilot see.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #47

Oil cooler install

Been thinking about how to get an oil cooler on this bike for a long time. It qualifies as performance improvement in my book. Oil coolers, I have found, take a lot of time and most always require fabrication of the mounting systems and that was especially the case here. You just have to work an idea until it works or you have to choose another path and I did that several times until I got to the answer. The first issue required I get a new shorter brake line to clear the mounting area and re-arrange the speedo cable. I fabricated a mounting plate to bolt too, placed a support behind it, and ground down the mounting half-circle clamp bracket to fit below the rectifier mounting piece. I had to shim the rectifier out to clear with a washer and build a bracket for the horn mount. Found some stainless wire on amazon I just slid in the tray to protect it. Stainless braid hose was like $50 so I bought 6 ft or $11 of transmission cooler hose at the local auto. Why? It feels good and I will have no regrets when I lay on the WOT! CG strong, ride hard!

Last edited by China Rider 27; 05-17-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #48

I used this oil cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fit without any real mods to my bike. I posted a few pics of it here: https://imgur.com/a/RzmaXYh

Old 02-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #49

Got the PZ30 out of storage where it has been since last year when I did some testing with it. The question is will the PZ30 demonstrate any measurable improvement in performance as a result of the head porting? The tune is exactly the same but it did have some advantages today, an oil cooler installed, and fresh 5W-40W full synthetic oil. Started good, always a little cold blooded. Took her out to the WOT test area, no issues running well.

Last year 2/14/2020 tune Post #17
Pilot 42
2 turns on mixture
Main Jet 125
Temp: 46 degrees
Speed: 62 mph GPS verified

Today’s results:
Pilot 42
2 turns on mixture
Main Jet 125
Temp 51 degrees
Speed: 63 mph GPS verified

Thoughts: No need to be down on the PZ30, as a carburetor design it runs very well. When I run it, I don’t think about a need for replacing it with something else, I enjoy it and it does not leave me wanting. It accelerates well and idles well when warmed up. I am very happy to know that I can get a carburetor tuned where I want it, put it in storage, and a year later it retains that tune. PIX of the plug after the WOT and 20 miles. Looks identical to the PE 30 plug?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PZ30 plug WOT 02282021 resize.jpg (49.7 KB, 348 views)

Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #50

Today on the project my HAWK 250 makes a guest appearance by way of a comparison of carburetors, tuning, and gear ratio and importantly, tire size. I ran my HAWK over the WOT course with the same GPS app I have been using for the Magic so the background is:

CAAT removed, stock muffler
Gearing 11T by 35T ratio 3.18
Wheel size R 18” F 21”
PZ30B
Pilot stock 40
1.5 turns on pilot
Main 115
Temperature 73 degrees
Speed: 58 mph

Thoughts: About 7000 rpm gets 51-52 mph and the motor feels efficient at that rpm.

Comparison:

The Magician uses a 17T by 45T ratio 2.65
Wheel size R 16” F 19”
PZ30
Tuning (see previous post above)
Top speed: 63 mph

Comparison thoughts: Apples to Oranges, no direct comparisons in any category, but shows how both bikes “carry the load” at the WOT performance on a standardized course given there set ups. I did appreciate “putting on the fire” of that PZ30B accelerator pump or as Megadan calls it the “punch of the PZ30B,” which taking me back to my youth has to be “punching it”!

Last edited by China Rider 27; 12-18-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #51

PZ30 at 104 degree fahrenheit

Heat wave here, three days record setting temperature, 104 to 105 degrees, a dry heat though. Thought I would see what 104 degrees would do to the tuning on the PZ30 which has remained as recently installed with no adjustments. This testing was up to about 40 mph so no WOT. No difference I could tell, ran good, with good acceleration, maybe a slight more rumble on deceleration. The oil cooler definitely put off some heat.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #52

New WOT record

Took a pleasure cruise today on the Magi and I like to ride a course that takes me out onto the rural areas with 50 mph and below tarmac. A couple of miles in I come across my WOT course on the way out so naturally with the motor good and warmed up you cannot resist laying it on for a run. Low and behold the Magi ran its best time of 64 MPH at 80 degrees still using the PZ30 tuned as above. She must have not taken kindly to all this talk about her low top speed. I was also using a new google GPS app they say is the most popular and I am sure it had nothing to do with it. Anytime you re-write the record book it is time to make a note and celebrate!

The bike just ran excellent, with the low tap tap of the valves a sound of precision. You ride a lot of motorcycles and they run and ride good but sometimes you get on one and after a while you realize the bike is running exceptionally well in all respects, in such a way you take notice and that was today. After many repeated throttle hits, it always settled to a steady idle without a hesitation. Power and torque at a moment’s throttle twist. The chassis too, it handled well, light, easy to ride, hugging the road, nimble and steady in the curve. I had not ridden Magi in over a month as I have been riding the HAWK backroad so the comparison was very clear. I was thinking about selling it recently to look at another bike, but after riding it today I don’t know. Fun to ride, a fine example of a well-functioning inexpensive, CG powered motorcycle.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 08-15-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #53

Posting pictures and writeups about a bike just doesn’t really capture its essence. Hearing it run brings it to life in the true spirt of a motorcycle. I’ve been thinking about how do that for some time. Thanks to XLsior I was able to find a way that works!

This video is a WOT run from post #27 high lighting the OTUM exhaust (how mine is marked) or also called TOM TOM with the DB killer removed. I try to keep the noise down in the neighborhood.

The WOT begins with a coast down a small hill into a depression and as you come by the go line, a road to the right, “punch it!”

https://www.bitchute.com/video/XMGVMj8I2qFJ/

Old 08-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #54

Oh yeah, she sounds nice and healthy. Love seeing that chassis kick up on the roll ons too. Definitely has some grunt behind her.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #55

Fun to build! Fun to modify! Fun to ride! CG strong, ride hard!

Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #56

The OKO PWK 30 has not been tested on the bike since the head was ported last year. I finally got around to it yesterday after spending several hours changing out the manifold and throttle to get it re-installed. The tuning the same as post #27 prior to head porting no adjustments to idle speed either.

Pilot 38
1 3/4 turns on mixture
Main 130
Temp 71 degrees
Speed 62 mph GPS verified

Thoughts: Little Popping, rumbling in the exhaust on deceleration. Roll off after WOT results in a surge. Idle does not seem quite as good as I remember but not bad after it warms up. The head porting seems to have unsettled the tune despite top speed remaining the same. Main jet acting rich and pilot on the lean side, go figure. Carburetor tuning often times does not follow a logical path and that is especially true in my experience with these smooth bores. Tweaking on the horizon.