Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #46

So, Storm riders, how many of you like the remote start feature, and the alarm? How many have had a leak through the fuel cap?

Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
So, stevecast, the 250 Storm will top out at 70 mph stock? I would think it would cruise nicely at 50-55 then?
Yes, with the stock 17t front and 46t rear it ran smooth and sweet at 55 to 60, but traffic here is 65 to 75 mph. The top speed of the bike is 70 with the stock sprockets, but that is short bursts.
With the 39t rear top speed is out somewhere beyond the reach of the speedo. Cruising at 65 to 70 is smooth and easier on the engine now.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
So, Storm riders, how many of you like the remote start feature, and the alarm? How many have had a leak through the fuel cap?
remote start is a bit overkill, I never use it except when I'm parked next to a jap bike without remote start. Conversation piece at best.

The gas cap leak is actually coming up through the key hole. The only remedy is not to fill the tank all the way. It sucks, but then again, my VFR750 back in the day did the same s**t.
It probably wouldn't be such a big issue if it weren't for the cheap paint on the plastic parts bubbling up and peeling off.

I still love the bike though, regardless of its stupid little quirks.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecast View Post
I still love the bike though, regardless of its stupid little quirks.

Good attitude!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #50

I Like the 250 Storm. Sounds like the makers, maybe after complaints of too low of gearing, changed to, at least, a better set of sprockets than they were using. The new ones at 17/46. I think the older ones were like 16/50 or something.

The last 5 years of my full time working life I worked at Destination Harely-Davidson in Tacoma, Washington. We had event like taco Thursdays, and on Saturdays we'd have a local restaurant cook, and both days we'd have live music. Lot's of bikes and people. One day, after work, i took a walk around looking at the bikes. I was looking at a Suzuki Hyabusa that was very heavily modded and with a intricate paint job. All of a sudden, the bike made a jerk and moved on it's own. It also straightened up and I was afraid it was going to fall over. Then I look over and see, obviously the owner, laughing his butt off at my expense. He had a remote switch, and the dam bike would go up and down like a car low rider. I had visions of this $25,000.00 custom bike falling over and getting blamed for it! I laughed too when I figured it out.

Yeah blueberry accidently left his 200 Storm in gear, then must have put pressure on the remote switch when he was climbing into a friends's car. Hus bike suddenly started on it's own, drove off the side stand, fell over and bent the clutch lever.

Did you complain to the seller about the gas cap? Maybe they would, if they get enough complaints, redesign the cap to hold the gas in the tank like it's supposed to.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #51

I did put in a claim. Actually I put in 3

1. The shield bolt hole on muffler came off. I asked for a new muffler (where the cat is)
2. I asked for a fuel cap that didn't leak
3. I asked for replacement LHS plastic tank trim that was stripped of paint after it overflowed.

The only thing I ever received was the plastic trim, I was told the other parts were on back order. I kinda thought I was pushing it. I welded the bolt hole myself and just never filled the tank all the way up. I'm all set, and very happy with it. I think they are awesome value.
1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200