Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #46

Hi All, I completed two destinations of the Irish Photo Rally today. I have now done 10 of the 12 I selected. My first destination was the Shay Elliott Memorial in the beautiful county of Wicklow. Shay Elliott was a famous Irish Cyclist who died at a very young age. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamus_Elliott
My second destination was Lyons House Gateway in Rathcoole County Kildare although it is only a stones throw from Dublin. There is very little on the internet about this house. This was about the best I could find http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehisto...eason_at_r.asp Anyway here are a few pictures from the trip.

Looking down over Sally Gap, Wicklow Mountains

A forest named after Shay Elliott

The monument, not very impressive is it?

Part of the Monastic Site founded by St.Kevin in the 6th century

The view from the site down over Glendalough

Still standing after 15 centuries!

We have one of these in Ireland as well!!

Here is Hollywood Post Office but I couldn't find The Walk of Fame

Lyons Gateway in Rathcoole Co.Kildare

And that's it. The trip was 476km in total and I did it in 9 hrs with 2 stops in between for some food.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #47

Beautiful scenery, but then again, it wouldn't be Ireland if it was ugly...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #48

I'm amazed that anything can stand after 15 centuries! Thanks for the terrific pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #49

As always, thanks for posting the beautiful photos, IB. I don't think anyone in today's age builds structures that will stand for 15 centuries.

As always, your little blue Keway looks terrific.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #50

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. 476km that is impressive , I am guessing it has comfortable seat. What type of gps is that?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Thanks for the beautiful pictures. 476km that is impressive , I am guessing it has comfortable seat. What type of gps is that?
I bought the gps on ebay for approx €130 . It has no make on it. I tried finding a link but cant find one now.
All I can tell you is it is an excellent product and has all European, American and Australian maps. It is waterproof and came with a special cradle and handlebar mounting for a bike which is hardwired in and a separate cradle for a car. I have used it all over Ireland in the Uk, France and Spain.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #52

Thank you. So when going to places has it got an ability to load routes like from google earth kmz and kml files or do you go to your destination by typing in the address?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Thank you. So when going to places has it got an ability to load routes like from google earth kmz and kml files or do you go to your destination by typing in the address?
To be honest this can do a lot more than what I am capable of doing with it. I usually type in the address or the co-ordinates and away I go. At last I found a link to it but this is not who I bought if off.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weatherpro...item56497ddd31

Here is another seller. The pictures are much better
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...item232e9bd2f5

Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #54

I'll check the links, thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #55

Hi All,
Just completed my 11th destination out of 12. This was a 365km round trip to the County of Clare in the West of Ireland. This was a really remote location and some of the roads leading up to the location had grass growing down the middle.
There was not even a signpost to the village on any of the roads I was on. We are getting so Sat Nav dependent!
Anyway here is the old Market Stone in Noughaval
http://irishantiquities.bravehost.co...noughaval.html
http://www.irishstones.org/place.aspx?p=176&i=2

Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #56

I am sorry to hear you have only one destination remaining. I truly enjoy viewing your beautiful photographs from the Emerald Isle.

Did you take any photographs of the 10th century church? As always, your beautful, blue Keyway motorcycle looks great!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #57

I love these photos! However, perhaps due to the remoteness of the place, they almost look haunted!!

I think you are lying to us, and trailering your bike to these places; it looks far too new and clean (no oil leaks is my clue) to not only be Chinese, but ridden for hundreds of kms!!! LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #58

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I am sorry to hear you have only one destination remaining. I truly enjoy viewing your beautiful photographs from the Emerald Isle.

Did you take any photographs of the 10th century church? As always, your beautful, blue Keyway motorcycle looks great!
Spud I am embarrassed to say that I didnt even spot the 10th Century Church behind the modern one. It is only when I got home to find a link for the history of this place that I saw it.................must change my specs!
Only one destination left this year but next year, please God, there will be another 12 different sites to visit!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I love these photos! However, perhaps due to the remoteness of the place, they almost look haunted!!

I think you are lying to us, and trailering your bike to these places; it looks far too new and clean (no oil leaks is my clue) to not only be Chinese, but ridden for hundreds of kms!!! LOL
Ha ha I have the sore butt to prove it. It is me that is getting wrecked from all this traveling not the Keeway. Surprisingly thats what my friends say too- Chinese bikes can actually travel distance of over 50km without breaking down???
Could be tempted to do what you are saying for the final destination though as it is a 520km round trip and the temperature here will be dipping in October.
Nahhh, I am too tough for that though!!

Speaking of real tough guys. Anyone following Simon Gandolfi on Facebook?
He is traveling around India on a TVS Phoenix 125 made in Chennai India(looks Chinese to me but could be badged in India). So far not 1 problem with the bike in over 10,000km.
By the way Simon is now in his 80's!
He will no doubt be bringing out a book about it.
If any of you want a great read I would recommend "Old Man on a Bike" by Simon. A journey through Central and South America on a CG125 Pizza delivery bike!

Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #60

I will still be checking to see if you mess up and accidently photograph your tow vehicle, LOL

Simon Gandolfi is a member on Horizonsunlimited if I am thinking of the same person. I remember he had a ride from S. America into the US and back to Europe via New York on a 125cc a few years ago, although it was a Honda or Suzuki that time. I think that is all he rides; 125cc bikes.

Now that you mention him, I have been meaning to ride my 200cc TMEC from my home on the US/Mexico border to San Felipe to watch and photograph the 'baby' Baja race, the Baja 250...I think I will do it this coming March, provided the bike is still running strong, but mainly running...

On a side note, on one of the bland pdf files which lists all the available motorcycles approved for certification by the US EPA, one of the 2013 bikes listed is a 2013 Keeway 250cc cruiser. I don't believe we get Keeways as a brand, so I am curious who brands that bike for the US, or is planning to. Based on your experience with your Keeway, I would think this bike will be a high
quality bike!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150