Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Indeed, this bike has a lot of torque, and it requires judicious application of the throttle! I agree, the XR650L is well suited to cover the miles in the wide open spaces of Idaho, but it really needs a 4.7-gallon fuel tank to do it safely. I got about 55 mpg on this trip, which is quite acceptable, but the fuel pumps are few, and far between, in the rural areas of Idaho. Do you have a preference regarding the color of the fuel tank?
Spud
Tank...I like red.
Sweet bike, I really considered one myself, but went with the Skorpion.
On another tack...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...check the counter-shaft ASAP. A friend of mine bought a 2002 model with around 6K miles on it. Rode it in to work one day, started home and he said it was like the clutch suddenly went out...the counter-shaft sprocket had ground through the splines on the shaft :!: 8O Don't know if he's fixed it yet.
Turns out, this is a fairly often reported problem in forums. Usually associated with a gearing change and aftermarket sprockets.
That much torque and lower gears...

I've got to tear into the right side cover on the Skorpion soon. There's a reported problem with Woodruff keys spliting and letting the balance shaft meet up with the crank...with the obvious, ensuing demolition...
Usually associated with "vigorous" riding, but I don't want to ignore it and "hope it doesn't happen."
Good luck,
Bill R

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #47

Thank you for your tank color input, Bill. I ordered the red, Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank from JustGasTanks.com. My fuel tank shipped out today, and is scheduled to arrive in two days!. This is the second, aftermarket fuel tank I have ordered from JustGasTanks. I really enjoy the low price guarantee, and the excellent customer service offered by this vendor!

Also, thank you for the advice regarding the countershaft splines. 8O I have read similar reports, so I will be sure to examine the countershaft. Indeed, I am planning to replace the stock, 15T countershaft sprocket with a 14T, Primary Drive countershaft sprocket from Rocky Mountain ATV. Therefore, I will conduct some research, and proceed carefully with the sprocket change. Some XR650L owners will only use the 14T, OEM, Honda, XR600R countershaft sprockets. I think the hardened, Renthal countershaft sprockets have caused most of these problems.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Also, thank you for the advice regarding the countershaft splines. 8O I have read similar reports, so I will be sure to examine the countershaft. Spud
Glad you had already seen those threads. From "reading between the lines", I think most of the problems were from hard riding, but you never know.
Bill R

Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
Also, thank you for the advice regarding the countershaft splines. 8O I have read similar reports, so I will be sure to examine the countershaft. Spud
Glad you had already seen those threads. From "reading between the lines", I think most of the problems were from hard riding, but you never know.
Bill R
I certainly don't want to have to split the crankcase to replace a countershaft! 8O Therefore, I am going to exercise caution regarding these reports. I examined the countershaft sprocket soon after I bought the bike. The current sprocket is stock, size 15T, and it is in good condition. Indeed, the rear sprocket is also in good condition. However, I am going to remove the countershaft sprocket, and examine the countershaft splines in the next few days. Once again, thank you for the warning, Bill.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #50

This afternoon I removed the countershaft sprocket, and examined the countershaft splines; the splines were in excellent condition. The countershaft sprocket, and rear sprocket are in pretty good shape, but the drive chain needs to be replaced. The previous owners either didn't know, or didn't care about chain lubrication; a lot of the O-rings are cracked, or missing from the drive chain. 8O That's okay, because I am going to install a Primary Drive, X-ring drive chain from Rocky Mountain ATV. I will install new, Primary Drive sprockets at the same time.

I am also going to remove the airbox snorkle, install a Uni air filter, and rejet the carburetor. In additon, I can't wait to get rid of the SMOG tumor, and the associated octopus of hoses! :twisted: As promised, I performed otoplasty on the BRP; the elephant ears are gone. My red, Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #51

id say red with some new oem decals

spud have you thought about not getting the rack, and using the honda as your ds fun bike. use it as the bike you can ride to the area where you can just go wild and run the honda like a true dirt bike.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #52

I'm going to add a small rack to the Honda, Mike. I want to be able to attach luggage to the Honda for adventure rides. Also, I dress in layers, and I want a place to put my extra clothes, rain gear, et cetera.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #53

Today I removed the hideous SMOG tumor, and charcoal cannister from my XR650L! :twisted: Here are photos of Porky before the SMOGectomy. :(

Here is the end result, after the hideous tumor was excised!

I feel much better after performing the SMOGectomy; I couldn't wait to get rid of that extra, hideous weight from my motorcycle! Also, I now have enough room to actually work on the engine and carburetor! :roll:

P.S. Today I also installed my Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank. I will soon post photos of Porky, with his new fuel tank.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #54

Wow! that looks much cleaner.

Spud, when you have a moment, please measure the OD of your exhaust headers, and I'll compare them with mine. I would expect yours to be larger, but who knows?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Wow! that looks much cleaner.

Spud, when you have a moment, please measure the OD of your exhaust headers, and I'll compare them with mine. I would expect yours to be larger, but who knows?
Thank you, W&G. I certainly will measure the OD of my current exhaust headers, and post the results for you.
Quote:
Spud, please satisfy my curiousity and try a magnet test on the exhaust header. My '96 250 has a stainless header, so I'm surprised that yours would be mild steel.

If it's steel, maybe a dirt-only bike would be a good stainless donor.
I just bought a 1996, XR600R exhaust header on eBay. This exhaust header seems to be in excellent condition, and I am pretty sure it is manufactured from stainless steel. I believe all late model, XR600R exhaust systems are compatible with the XR650L. I also believe all XR600R exhaust headers are stainless steel. I am eager to receive this exhaust header, and install it. As always, thank you for your excellent advice, Brother Derryk.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #56

That does look a lot better without that octopus hanging off the side! By the pictures it looks like valve maintenance will be a snap as well. Gotta love a Honda

Cheers,
Stew

Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
That does look a lot better without that octopus hanging off the side! By the pictures it looks like valve maintenance will be a snap as well. Gotta love a Honda

Cheers,
Stew
Indeed, I can't remember seeing a more ugly appendage infecting any other motorcycle! 8O Fortunately, the SMOG tumor is easy to remove. I actually considered leaving the charcoal canister intact, since it is far less ugly than the SMOG tumor; however, the charcoal canister, and it's associated tangle of thick hoses, makes carburetor maintenance an absolute nightmare! I say good riddance to both monstrosities! :twisted:

Now that the SMOG tumors have been excised, maintenance will be a pleasure on this big Honda. I adjusted the valves immediately after I brought the bike home; it was a simple procedure. Porky's spark plug is difficult to remove, and replace. However, other than this minor annoyance, the BRP is very easy to maintain. I am very happy to have Porky as the Zong's companion.

I took a brief ride this afternoon, between rain showers. As promised here are photographs of the new, Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank.

As with the 4.1-gallon fuel tank on my Zong, this 4.7-gallon fuel tank is superbly manufactured. The tank fits the XR650L perfectly, and extends the bike’s range another 100 miles.

I rode a few miles from home, and took this photograph in front of small peak overlooking a local high school in my valley.

Here are a few photographs I took several weeks ago when I rode my Zong to the top of this peak. The first view is looking down, to the spot where I took Porky’s photograph.

Here is the view looking to the other side of the peak.

I have some nice photos from this ride, so I will post another ride report in the near future, and provide a link to the report in this thread.

Here’s another view of the Clarke tank, with another favorite mountain in the background.

Here is the view from that peak, looking towards Porky’s location in the previous photograph.

I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but we have some beautiful places to ride, here in Idaho.

Here is another view of Porky’s new fuel tank. As I was taking the photograph below, I noticed two sources of movement on the mountain behind me. 8O

I was going to zoom in, and take another photo, but I needed to change the batteries in my camera. :( However, after I replaced the batteries, the sources of the movement had scurried away.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #58

That tank looks really good Spud. I saw them online and was concerned that they might be a bit glossy, but yours looks nice and flat.

What is the status of the skidplate?

Excellent shots as usual. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #59

Quote:
That tank looks really good Spud. I saw them online and was concerned that they might be a bit glossy, but yours looks nice and flat.

What is the status of the skidplate?

Excellent shots as usual. 8)
Thank you, W&G. The color of the Clarke tank is a very good match to Honda Red. Needless to say, the tank fits beautifully, and is mounted solidly. I really like Clarke fuel tanks.

I am ordering the skid plate, tomorrow, from Rocky Mountain ATV. Therefore, if it's in stock, I should have it on Tuesday.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #60

The tank, the BRP, and I-der-ho all look wonderful Spud. Life is good indeed.

My 1996 XR250L also was a PIA to get to the sparkplug. As I recall the seat and tank had to come off.