Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #46

Thanks for the update, Jim; it sounds like you had a very productive day! Please do post some new photos when you get the spare time.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #47

sounds like it is almost a motorcycle again. Good to see you making good progress on the thing.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #48

Not the greatest photo, but here it is...

Got the back wheel on, changed the brakes, and cleaned the wheel up some. I got the front wheel apart, working on shining it up a bit before I put in the new brakes and put it on, maybe tomorrow or on the weekend. The front fender is on now too.

I also got a new grab bar off of eBay because mine is no good... I got it for $21 plus shipping, it looks good from the pictures.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=230475344757

Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #49

The bike keeps looking better and better, Jim! I really like the chrome fenders. The grab bar is a great addition. Thank you for sharing you work on this project.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #50

Thanks for the kind words everyone...

Yes that grab bar looks pretty good. I've been kicking myself because I was watching one on eBay months ago, in great condition, at around $10... I forgot to bid and the person who won it was the only bidder and paid the starting bid. Since then there has basically been rusty ones on there until now... The one I have is in terrible shape, finish wise, so this will be nice to have.

The handlebars and chrome headlight ears / fork covers are ones I got on eBay as well, they are in pretty decent shape.

I know you say you like the chrome fenders Spud, but I am not too fond of this chrome stuff... The aluminium parts that don't look great can be sanded and polished, the rusty chrome is not so easy to shine up... The pieces I have now though aren't too bad, but if it had aluminium rims I'd be happier. It's a neat old bike, though I kind of just want to get to that little CT70 :P

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...I know you say you like the chrome fenders Spud, but I am not too fond of this chrome stuff... The aluminium parts that don't look great can be sanded and polished, the rusty chrome is not so easy to shine up... The pieces I have now though aren't too bad, but if it had aluminium rims I'd be happier. It's a neat old bike, though I kind of just want to get to that little CT70 :P
I know what you mean, Jim. I like the appearance of the chrome fenders, but I have never liked cleaning chrome!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #52

Routine cleaning isn't a big hassle but once it's let go and gets rusted and pitted it's hooped. I agree with you though, I like chrome fenders too Actually on the CT70, I think they are still in pretty good shape, better then these ones, and these ones aren't too bad.

One thing you can see in the last picture is that I forgot to paint the bracket for the ignition switch... I couldn't manage to unplug it from the wiring harness so it was in a pile with that and I forgot about it... I will probable take it back off after and give it a fresh coat.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #53

That grab bar looks really good Jim, and you got it for a decent price. I'm with you on polishing aluminum and stainless over cleaning chrome.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #54

You are doing a great job, I am checking this thread daily to see whats happens next.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #55

Uh oh, now there's pressure to work on it every day!

Looking for input here from people with more experience on this... I think the only time I ever bought tires was for my GY6, I ordered Avon Road Riders for it from American Moto Tire and they were great... Anyways, just looking for opinions on what I should order for tires... I don't want to ride around on 37 year old tires. I don't have much faith in their ability to provide traction...

I guess what I need is 3.00 - 19 Front and 3.50 - 18 Rear and I want something that looks close to stock for the bike.

I guess I can also look for 90/90 - 19 and 100/90 or 110/90 - 18 for the rear? I didn't see anything that looked right for the front on American Moto Tire in the correct size but if I go to a 3.25 I can get one that matches a rear tire that should work...

1 x IRC GS-11 3.50S-18 REAR
1 x IRC GS-11 3.25H-19 FRONT

$111.89

Other then these, I could look at maybe Dunlop Vintage tires... Or maybe there is something better that I've missed.

These don't look too far off from what the bike should have I guess? Will the 3.25 be too big? I haven't shopped for motorcycle tires online anywhere else, but when I was pricing the Avon's for my gy6, I got both shipped to me from American Moto Tire for less then one tire at any of the local dealers. If there are other online stores I should check out I am also open to suggestions on that front.

Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #56

I'm the guy who grabs used dirt bike tires from behind Clearbrook Yamaha on Sundays.

I don't have any specific guidance for you, but you might find tires in the sizes you're after behind Clearbrook (hear me out). If you find the size you wonder about, you could install it and see if it clears. Then you could lay down your hard-earned cash for a new one.

Wherever you buy, don't forget that Letterlock will receive it for $4.00.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #57

I will definitely keep Letter Lock in mind I sent the grab bar to the mailbox in Lynden, I suppose out of habit, but it's not so bad... I don't usually have to get it myself. There's a bunch of us who ship there so my mom and our family friend make routine trips down there and usually come back with a bunch of packages...

I didn't know used tires could be scavenged out behind Clearbrook Yamaha.. I've only actually been there a couple of times and only very briefly. Their gear selection is quite limited compared to 3D, where I had to buy a helmet last time I was in... :roll: My helmet collection is quite large

Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #58

If you want good prices on tires, I recommend you check out three different vendors: Bike Bandit, Motorcycle Superstore, and Rocky Mountain ATV. However, Rocky Mountain ATV doesn't carry as many street tires as the first two vendors.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #59

The ignition lock placement on those old bikes allways worry me. I picture in my mind the key ring coming apart or the key it'self falling out while going down the road.
It happens all the time in my old nissan truck with 400,000 miles. Always gets a laugh.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #60

Spud thanks I will check out those two sites and compare with American Moto Tire.

Cal, on my 05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 the key is similarly placed I guess that is something to watch out for, thanks. On the CB350 (I have one for parts or future use), the ignition switch is up hanging off the top fork bridge.

When we were on a road trip in Saskatchewan, a guy we met there was riding with us on the highway between Bengough and Assiniboina and his key flew out... Luckily we stopped and he found it... Actually he kind of alarmed us, as he just simple hit the brakes hard, in the front of a group of 4... Luckily we weren't riding too close together, but I sure stopped in a hurry... Good thing there isn't much traffic out there.

Edit:
Checked out those first 2 sites, for the same tires, American Motorcycle Tires beats them on price, not sure about shipping charges though... I think those ones are the best match for the bike so far, the IRC GS ones linked to above...