Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #46

Jeeze Weld a Mod may get after you lol.. It does mild steel fine, I had to use the right cutters for the hardened stuff. No problem on the hijack.

Back on topic the vapor is supposed to be here today and I ordered some Connectors from Vintage connections. So I will have decent connectors and shielded. So back to fab and wiring this weekend. and then I hope for a test ride to see where I am at before I tear it all down for paint.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #47

Please let us know all about the Vapor installation. If/when I D/S the YZ I'd like to fit a Vapor.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #48

received the Vapor last night, Looks good but the speedo pickup they sent I can't figure out how they want me to mount. (and honestly I don't like the way it will look if I mount it the way I can think of. I have an email into them and in the meantime I ordered a Acewell Direct plug in to a honda XR pickup and I am going to try that. ( they are the competitor to Trailready. vapor)
I am hoping it will be compatible, but I am worried about the calibration. for 20.00 I figured I would try and it is a factory looking install then.

I found some docs on the sensor ( the one from acewell ) and it uses a hall effect sensor, so I don't think it will be compatible with the Vapor...

Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #49

Is your TrailTech kit made for your bike or are you adapting one?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #50

It is a generic one for an aircooled, drum brake bike like the xr200. they tech dept got back to me with a picture of how to mount it not overly happy with it but I will do it like they say.
I will post up a pic once I get it mounted. I was just hoping for a cleaner installation. everything else seems fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #51

Vapor mounted

Got a day in the shop sunday. did some work on the controls and building a mount for the vapor and other controls.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #52

Awesome looking work. Save the template maybe I'll hire you to make me one for the YZ! :wink:

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #53

That's a really nice piece of craftsmanship! Do you plan to enclose the backside of the mount? Have you considered using studs to attach the front handlebar clamps, and then nuts to attach the new mount? That makes your mount removable without loosening the clamp bolts, and the mount doesn't bear directly on the clamp. Just a thought.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #54

I am happy with it so far. I am debating enclosing the back, I plan on a small fairing so it wouldn't need it. I think I still have the template LOL .
As for the studs possibly. At the least I will likely mill the top of the clamp flat so it sits properly. I got to use my mill to open up the hole underneath the Vapor Instad of hacking it with a file.

I was mostly going for simple, and at the least will build a pigtail off the indicator lights and tie all the wiring to the plate. For the finish I used a palm sander and just made it uniform. I will likely hit it with clear coat when I Finish the tins. (the tank and sidecovers are done just waiting on CC. )

We are fullon in riding weather here, (cool in the am but I have gear) so I am still riding the Yam DT175 as a daily rider but really want the XL on the road. I hope for a test ride this weekend to check my gearing.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #55

You did a beautiful job on the TT Vapor mount! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #56

The hole underneath the Vapor is an excellent solution for the cables. Did you make the mount out of aluminum?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #57

Yea it was an unknown aluminum alloy (soft) from an old sign I had. It is about 3/16th thick. It was nasty before I hit it with a sander. the top two outside lights are going to be the turn indicators, the center blue for high beam and the green on down by the choke (to the left) is for the Neutral indicator. I gave myself a little extra room in case I want to add things to it.

Next time I have it off I will take a pic of the hole and post it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #58

That dash looks sweet! I can't wait to see the whole bike together

Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #59

More progress. Lights and blinkers and final mount.

Fabbed the new top mount for the engine.

Mounted the new headlight bucket. (12V 7" Vs the stock 6v 5") and have all the wiring done except for the new Vapor.

another shot of the headlight.

I should have the bike ready for the road test and then tear down and paint this next weekend. I spent way too much time rebuilding the rear turn signals. (the wires in the lights where bad, and the ground wires for the mounts where too. )

Once I test it I will be doing a full teardown new bearings, Paint and new cables. Getting there.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #60

Excellent work. 8)

Amazing how much wiring can go into a simple XR. My Gold Wing must have 50 pounds of wiring!