Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which YamaZong color scheme do you prefer?
KTM Orange 15 46.88%
Yamaha Blue 2 6.25%
Honda Red 1 3.13%
Stealth Black 6 18.75%
Desert Tan 5 15.63%
Kawasaki Green 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #46

KTM Orange is a nice color, so I am not surprised that it continues to have strong support in the poll. My Zong is currently painted KTM Orange, from the factory.

However, after 20,000 miles the orange color has faded, especially on the front fender. In some places, the clear plastic is beginning to show through the fender; in other places, the fender has taken on a salmon color. The rear quarter panels are also very faded, looking more salmon than orange. Fortunately, however, recent photographs reveal my bike’s plastic still appears orange to the camera.

I recently replaced the Zong’s headlight cowl, so the new cowl is still a fresh orange from the factory. Also, the Zong’s hand guards are new, with the orange color molded into the plastic. Therefore, the recent photographs shown below can give you a good idea how the repainted orange will appear; just imagine the fender and rear quarter panels having the same color as the headlight cowl and handguards.

I recently purchased two new, orange, rear quarter panels for my Zong, which I have not yet installed. Also, tomorrow I am going to order a KTM Orange Polisport Universal Motard Fender, pictured in the link below.

http://www.wps-inc.com/wps/WICATALOG...58145943263644

Therefore, I can easily restore my Zong to the original KTM Orange in very short order! In addition to being the quickest alternative, this color scheme also gives me the benefit of having a front fender with the color molded into it. I have not found any front fenders molded in the Desert Tan color.

After the old plastic and front fender are removed, I can repaint them in Desert Tan, and let the paint cure properly. I can then switch back and forth between the two color schemes, and decide which I prefer.

Once I make a final decision about color, I will repaint the other set of plastic to match the preferred color. With two sets of plastic, I can keep a freshly painted set in reserve, and switch to it when the other set fades. I can then repaint the faded set of plastic, and let it cure properly, so it will be ready to replace the mounted plastic, as needed.

I wish to thank everyone who graciously offered his opinion in this thread. I have greatly enjoyed, and greatly benefited from reading your responses! Thank you for your help.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Just wait for my lifanda color scheme. Its whatever came cheapest.
If you haven't already chosen a color, I encourage you to try Krylon Fusion spray paint, Allen. Krylon Fusion is designed for painting plastic, and I have read many good reports about it. Also, Krylon Fusion is widely available at Wal-Mart, at low prices, in a wide variety of colors. I just bought a can of Krylon Fusion Ultra Flat Camouflage Khaki for $4.44 at Wal-Mart. The can says it contains enough paint to cover 25 square feet of surface area.

Spud
I can't report on longevity, but I also picked some up...I put 2 finishing coats of black on the underside and by the weight of the can, probably could do one more easily...
Please let us know how the Krylon Fusion paint survives the underside of your quad, Pete. I have read a number of threads at different websites regarding the Krylon Fusion paint. The consensus is consistent; proper surface preparation and sufficient curing time are essential for a good result. If these two criteria are met, the Krylon Fusion paint is reported as being very durable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
...Oh, I'm the clown that voted red, but I've always liked red and black

Pete
You're not a clown, Pete! I have always liked the Red Zong, myself! I was surprised more people did not agree with us.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #48

I dont plan on selling the Beast anytime soon, so I will be able to update now and again.

My surface prep....Wash plastic with warm soapy water & sponge, wash plastic with Eco-Degreaser which is an enviorment friendy degreaser that works 75% as well as the older, more vile stuff. Rinse with cold water and let dry. The plastic was fresh and had a slightly rough feel to it (totally unlike the top side which is glass smooth) so I skipped the rough up stage.

Time will tell whether that was smart or not.

The new orange REALLY stands out!

My old high school colours were red & black which is probably why I still have an affinity for them. Black frame, orange body...not bad at all. Would catch my eye for sure.

Pete

Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
…My surface prep....Wash plastic with warm soapy water & sponge, wash plastic with Eco-Degreaser which is an enviorment friendy degreaser that works 75% as well as the older, more vile stuff. Rinse with cold water and let dry. The plastic was fresh and had a slightly rough feel to it (totally unlike the top side which is glass smooth) so I skipped the rough up stage.

Time will tell whether that was smart or not….
That sounds like a good surface preparation, Pete. However, with the lower ambient temperatures, it will take longer for the paint to cure properly. If painted at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, you should let the paint cure for a full 7 days before you ride the quad. Therefore, with the lower temperatures, you might want to let the paint cure even longer than a full week before you ride. I think you will find the following thread interesting.

http://forum.highlifter.com/Krylon-F...-m1794457.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
…The new orange REALLY stands out!

My old high school colours were red & black which is probably why I still have an affinity for them. Black frame, orange body...not bad at all. Would catch my eye for sure.

Pete
Thank you, Pete. I will post new photos after I mount the Polisport front fender and the new rear quarter panels.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
…My surface prep....Wash plastic with warm soapy water & sponge, wash plastic with Eco-Degreaser which is an enviorment friendy degreaser that works 75% as well as the older, more vile stuff. Rinse with cold water and let dry. The plastic was fresh and had a slightly rough feel to it (totally unlike the top side which is glass smooth) so I skipped the rough up stage.

Time will tell whether that was smart or not….
That sounds like a good surface preparation, Pete. However, with the lower ambient temperatures, it will take longer for the paint to cure properly. If painted at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, you should let the paint cure for a full 7 days before you ride the quad. Therefore, with the lower temperatures, you might want to let the paint cure even longer than a full week before you ride. I think you will find the following thread interesting.

http://forum.highlifter.com/Krylon-F...-m1794457.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
…The new orange REALLY stands out!

Pete
Thank you, Pete. I will post new photos after I mount the Polisport front fender and the new rear quarter panels.

Spud
I can go another week. I can also drag it to work if need be. I'll just move a Kenworth out of my damn way

Good thread....I stumbled across one as well...they were painting plastic Transformer models...pages upon pages...quite interesting.

I dunno how much work I really want to do this Winter, but I was even considering stripping it down to the frame, sandblasting (booth will take a truck) and having our paint guy shoot it (booth takes 53ft trailer) for a couple of cases of suds. We'll see. Hate to go to all that trouble just to paint it black or grey, although I can promise you it is very, very good paint. What elses goes with urban camo I wonder? Red

Cheers

Pete

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #51

Desert Tan is growing on me.

The lifanda is most likely going to be read most likely. Just like a honda should be. The parts I got are not in mint condition so a repaint and a seat recover will be necessary. I got the seat for $5.

Allen

Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Desert Tan is growing on me....
Yes, it does "grow on you," doesn't it? I merely thought it was "OK" at first, but the more I looked at it, the better I liked it! I never would have thought of choosing Desert Tan, myself; this is why I decided to post the question, and create a poll. I am very glad ChromeDioxide offered the suggestion for Desert Tan.
Quote:
...The lifanda is most likely going to be read most likely. Just like a honda should be. The parts I got are not in mint condition so a repaint and a seat recover will be necessary. I got the seat for $5.

Allen
I agree with you and Pete, Allen; I like red, also. I encourage you to try the Krylon Fusion spray paint in Red Pepper/Safety Red; I think it will be the closest match to Honda Red.

P.S. You found a great deal on the seat!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #53

Orange is my second favorite behind tan.

BTW, I used Fusion on my pickup's bumpers, mirror housings, and door handles and it held up great, on road and off. The truck is used ONLY in bad weather for the most part, the bikes and the Vette get all the sunshine, so the Krylon has been well tested.

I did no special prep other than cleaning and maybe a pass with a Scotchbrite pad, and the paint is holding up 100%.

Also, I painted last winter, in a heated garage, and used the truck in the weather later that day, so no special curing seemed necessary. IIRC the directions call for 15 minutes to dry, 1 hour to done.

Bill

Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Orange is my second favorite behind tan...
Thanks for the feedback, Doc. I wish we had the option for a "second choice" in the polls; I would like to have that information.
Quote:
...BTW, I used Fusion on my pickup's bumpers, mirror housings, and door handles and it held up great, on road and off. The truck is used ONLY in bad weather for the most part, the bikes and the Vette get all the sunshine, so the Krylon has been well tested.

I did no special prep other than cleaning and maybe a pass with a Scotchbrite pad, and the paint is holding up 100%.

Also, I painted last winter, in a heated garage, and used the truck in the weather later that day, so no special curing seemed necessary. IIRC the directions call for 15 minutes to dry, 1 hour to done.

Bill
Thanks for the feedback on the Krylon Fusion, also! This paint dries in 15 minutes, and you can handle the object in one hour. I am very pleased to hear your Krylon Fusion paint has handled such rough treatment, especially after being put to use the very first day! However, the directions on the paint can state that Krylon Fusion does not become fully chip resistant until it has cured for 7 days.

I chose the Krylon Fusion because it is designed to "fuse" with the plastic, and be chip resistant for use on motorcycles, et cetera. Since Pete has painted the underside of his quad, he also needs the full chip resistance available from this paint. I am very pleased to hear you got good chip resistance after riding your truck the same day it was painted! However, other motorcycle and ATV owners have reported the Krylon Fusion paint has chipped on them when they did not allow it to cure for 7 days, in accordance with the directions on the can.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #55

Gotcha.

FWIW, my bumpers and other truck parts did not chip, maybe I got lucky. I'd paint the parts and let them sit in your home for a week while they cure then. Or, if I could not stand it, just go for a ride and not fall.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Gotcha.

FWIW, my bumpers and other truck parts did not chip, maybe I got lucky. I'd paint the parts and let them sit in your home for a week while they cure then. Or, if I could not stand it, just go for a ride and not fall.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience with this paint, Doc. I am very pleased to hear Krylon Fusion paint is as tough as it is claimed to be!

I am sure you have given the paint a very good test, right from the very first day. I think the other motorcycle and ATV owners who have had the paint chip on them probably punished the fresh paint with very aggressive, rocky, muddy trails. In other words, they "beat the stuffing out of it," while it was still freshly painted. I am very pleased to hear your Krylon Fusion has survived normal, aggressive use from the very first day it was painted.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #57

I think you either rip-off KTM (which is a really funny parody) or stay true to the bike's roots and go WHITE! You'll really confuse (enrage?) the XT225 owners. I had an XT225 before and it was a great bike. Your YamaZong looks nice in any color but white ought to be considered as well.

You live in Boise? I think I saw booger basin in your photos. :P

Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
I think you either rip-off KTM (which is a really funny parody) or stay true to the bike's roots and go WHITE! You'll really confuse (enrage?) the XT225 owners...
Thanks for the input, Shrub. I usually get my Zong fairly greasy when I reassemble the plastic after working on the motorcycle. Some of the Zongshen plastic can get pretty dirty, much more so than the Japanese plastic. Therefore, I don't think I would enjoy owning a white Zong. I think Desert Tan is the lightest color I could tolerate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
...You live in Boise? I think I saw booger basin in your photos. :P
No, I don't live in Boise; I live in East Idaho.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #59

I fitted the new rear quarter plastic on my Zong this afternoon. As you can see in the photograph below, the original plastic was quite faded by the sunlight. When I get the time, I will repaint the old plastic in Desert Tan.

I also ordered my orange Polisport Universal Motard Fender; it should arrive later this week. As you can see, the front fender has faded even more than the rest of the motorcycle! The Polisport fender has the color molded into the plastic, so it should be maintenance free.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #60

Makes a world of difference when you see a new part like that. Orange and black DO look good together.