Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #46

I'm pretty sure that is a paper air filter. Looks like an Emgo, or its generic Chinese equivalent. Paper sandwiched between the metal, sort of like a K&N but no cotton and oil. Cheaper and more restrictive to airflow, but better at filtering tiny stuff out of the air.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #47

Took my MC training class and passed. Will get my Lic R designation tomorrow I think, if time permits. I now completel understand about the class. It really needs to be a requirement. I can not even imagine somebody hitting the street without this training. It is absolutely necessary.

Got a question for you guys: Has anyone ever moved the seat forward on one of these? I see a hole on the frame just forward of the seat front mounting bolt. It looks like I may be there for that purpose but Im a bit gunshy about unding the front seat as it looks like the shock spring is already stretched.

Any suggestions or experiences with this?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #48

Congrats on taking and passing the class.

I don't have any experience with that seat. If you show us some close-up pics, perhaps we can offer suggestions.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #49

Never mind about the spare hole on the frame. Looked at it again and it is for a bolt on one side and a c clamp to secure an electrical cable.

So I guess I will need to research other seats or grow longer arms.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #50

So I have been riding around my neighborhood. I want to take it slow and practice some more. Class was only 3 days and they kept the speed down to 20mph max.

I dont want to sound like a wimp but I have noticed something very annoying about my bike. I took my class with a 250 Yamaha TR and did not have this issue.

On my bike the vibration goes traight to my hands. It was so bad that I literally had to pull over after five mins of riding and take my glove off. My fingers were numb to the point where I could not feel them. Gloves were a bit tight so I will be getting a different larger size pair. Found it a bit better to ride with no gloves on but vibration still caused the same numbness and pain unfortunately.

Throttle is also a bit tight and causes lots of fatigue on my right hand and wrist. It may not be the bike though, maybe its a medical issue. Thoughts?

I defenitely need different hand grips. I want something that will soak up some of the vibration better and give me more grip. The stock grips are too smooth and fell more like they belong on a bycicle rather than a motorcycle.

Any suggestions?

Anyone know how I can tell what size grips to buy? Nothing in the manual about what diameter the handlebar is.

Other issue I have is not too bad. Bike seems to run lean and sputters and pops a lot. This seems to help make the vibration problem more pronounced. Another forum suggested I get a 100 or higher jet replacement if my jet is 85 or so in size. Anybody know where I can get it from and how to get the right one? Can I get this at a motorcycle shop? I always thought carb parts would be maker specific.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #51

The vibration can be minimized with padded gloves, like Mechanix M-Pact; they're padded to withstand the vibrations from an impact wrench. When you look for new bars, try to find aluminum, also to minimize vibration. BTW, your bars are likely 7/8", and the grips are dissimilarly sized so the right grip can accomodate the throttle tube. Check out the local dirt bike shop and see what they have in butter soft grips in black. It helps.

What carb do you have now? If you have a Keihin clone (identified by three bowl screws), you'd be much happier with a Mikuni. New jets for a Mikuni are much easier to find. You might struggle to find jets for your stock carb. A new 30mm Mikuni is $40 delivered. Jets are around $4-$6 each, and the carb uses two.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #52

Thanks. Im going for the easy cheap fix first. New softer grips and better gloves.

Im going to email killermotorsports to see if they can tell me the size of the stock handlebar. If they cant answer, mabe Ill try measuring it myself. I suppose I could use a string to measure the circumfrance? Is that how it's done?

Thx for the tips. I will take a closer look at the carb and maybe post a photo on the weekend so I can figure out what I have.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #53

No, it's just the diameter. I'd be shocked if your bars were anything other than 7/8".

Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #54

Thanks, got confirmation it was 7/8.

That will be my first upgrade. Other stuff will have to wait until after my wedding and honeymoon.

I can honestly say my hand still feels it and I only rode for a 20mins yesterday. This is a must fix for me. Will go to a bike shop this weekend.

The handlebar / seat length will have to wait. I can actually live with it as long as im not doing any crazy sharp turns. And I dont see myself doing that anyway. Ironically, sharp u turns is the only thing I really had problems with when I took the course. I will enventually master it with enough parking lot time.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The vibration can be minimized with padded gloves, like Mechanix M-Pact; they're padded to withstand the vibrations from an impact wrench. When you look for new bars, try to find aluminum, also to minimize vibration. BTW, your bars are likely 7/8", and the grips are dissimilarly sized so the right grip can accomodate the throttle tube. Check out the local dirt bike shop and see what they have in butter soft grips in black. It helps.

What carb do you have now? If you have a Keihin clone (identified by three bowl screws), you'd be much happier with a Mikuni. New jets for a Mikuni are much easier to find. You might struggle to find jets for your stock carb. A new 30mm Mikuni is $40 delivered. Jets are around $4-$6 each, and the carb uses two.
The Mechanix M-Pact gloves seem to come in a variety of styles. Can you recommend a particular glove, Weld? Also, where can one get the best price for these gloves?

I agree; aluminum handlebars will lessen the vibration, Gonzo.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #56

Other stuff will have to wait until after my wedding and honeymoon.

God bless you Gonzo.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

The Mechanix M-Pact gloves seem to come in a variety of styles. Can you recommend a particular glove, Weld? Also, where can one get the best price for these gloves?

I agree; aluminum handlebars will lessen the vibration, Gonzo.

Spud
You can find Mechanix M-Pact gloves in a range of styles and colours, and they're available at several retail outlets and parts stores. I spotted some at Napa Auto Parts the other day. I'm not sure where the best price would be.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #58

Home Depot sells the Firm Grip brand gloves. They have many styles with padding.

Like these.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202892906

Gloves combined with some good grips should help. Also maybe some bar end weights.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Home Depot sells the Firm Grip brand gloves. They have many styles with padding.

Like these.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202892906

Gloves combined with some good grips should help. Also maybe some bar end weights.
Thanks for the excellent tip, Allen! The Firm Grip gloves only cost $9.99 at Home Depot!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #60

I've also heard of filling the bars with shot, but I've never tried it.