Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #46

I'm glad you are making good progress, BB.

However, I wouldn't pop wheelies without a rear brake. The rear brake is your only safeguard from looping the bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #47

The angle of that wheelie looks really cool.

If you saw how the bearings had impinged on the steering neck of my TW (from a previous owner), you'd never wheelie again.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #48

so... yesterday i got the brakes sorted... it all started with a trip to harbor freight...why not use chinese stuff on a chinese bike...LOL i picked up a few things, not knowing what all i would need... but heck its cheap, and i can use it for other stuff...LOL ended up getting two packs of 4.5"metal cutoff wheels, and a corded 3/8 chuck drill (my milwaukee 1/2" chuck is a pain in the tuchus... the chuck is so stiff you strip out chuck keys...only way to tightne/loosen it is a pipe wrench and a vise...) didnt end up needing to use the drill, as i decided after seeing another guy do the same (hes a machinist though and i doubt that he used an angle grinder...LOL) i found it the best to cut down the diameter of the rotor... how does one keep things round? pretty simple... put bike on stand, start motor, put in 2nd gear...rear wheel is off the ground, now spinning...steady hands on the grinder, and you start your cut line...because its spinning its like a lathe... took 3 cuttoff wheels, but it worked... i didnt think to take pics of it, but it doesnt really look any different than stock, other than if you look close, you can see the outer most row of drilled holes got mostly cut off...so theres dimples on the edge of the rotor... heres a pic of the guys wheels that inspired me to do it...

look closely at the rear rotor.. he actually took more off than i did, he cut into the second set of holes, apparently his KTM uses a smaller rear rotor... he also cut down the front as well... the stock rotors each drilled line is 4 holes long, both front and back...

Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #49

That's a neat idea. You were using cut-off discs on the rotor? I would not have thought of that. By reflex, I probably would have gravitated towards a flap disc.

It sounds like your 1/2" chuck has seen better days. If you can get it to tighten around an old allen wrench, it's not to difficult to change the chuck. A genuine Jacobs is only $10 at HF: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...uck-45731.html

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #50

i used the thin cutoff wheels spinning the opposite direction of the wheel, and perpendicular to the braking surface, cutting thru the face instead of sanding down the diameter. i tried 40-120 grit flap wheels and didnt hardly scratch the surface...

as for the ole milwaukee, the reverse doesnt function anymore either...LOL

Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #51

The switch on the Milwaukee is replaceable. Drills of that quality are rare these days, so it's worth fixing.

I can now visualize how you were cutting the rotor. Makes perfect sense.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #52

Thumbs Up

Good Work . hmmm makes me wonder ,with no sprocket or brake rotor alignment problems . What would a high strung ninja 250 engine would be like in these bikes.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #53

It would be high strung.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
Good Work . hmmm makes me wonder ,with no sprocket or brake rotor alignment problems . What would a high strung ninja 250 engine would be like in these bikes.
dont tempt me i have no money as it is....LOL

Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
dont tempt me i have no money as it is....LOL
There are tons of them on ebay

Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
There are tons of them on ebay
i know...LOL wise minds think alike... you can get em for about the same as a china engine with low miles...LOL

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #57

That's very ingenious, BB. Good work.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #58

A ninja 250 would be nice in on of these and would have good power to weight ratio but I'm sure there would be a lot of modding and fabricating be nice if it were a drop in swap.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #59

The ninja engine would be awesome! Can you say dual exhaust?

Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #60

i would rather try and shoehorn a 2stroke twin for that.... i have a soft spot in my heart for smokers... not to mention you could shoehorn a stinkin 500twin in these frames....now THAT would be high strung... my old 250 single (traded it for this bike) would power up a wheelie in 3rd just getting on the pipe...LOLso...roughly 2xthat power....