Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #46

Very good point Mike, but it has ended well so far for Brian.

Brian, that friend in the DMV is a treasure! Buy him a root beer.

Are you now going to start the title search process?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #47

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Okay, new question for those of you that know electrical systems.

I've been told that I cannot simply swap the stock flywheel and stator into the 125cc engine I ordered. I suppose it will not fit. So I was wondering if I should (1) order a new 3-phase stator for approximately $70 (2) Can I simply change the rectifier from a 3-phase to a single phase (3) could I simply just buy a whole new wiring harness made specifically for Lifan engines http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PANDA...Q5fAccessories .

I know the absolute very minimum when it comes to electrical systems, so if anyone could shed ANY light on this situation, that would be excellent. :wink:

EDIT: So I guess another question is, how can the GY-3 style bike run all of it's lights and whatnot with its equipped parts, and why is the Sachs so different?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #48

well you can try to swap stuff, but with a new motor why not go with new stator ?

for me things come to peace of mind, thats why i spend money for good parts. less to worry about down the road, if it were me id just go for the easy route and buy a new stator and what not. then i wont have to worry about it going bad on me for awhile. of course that is after riding some to make sure it has no defects in it..

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #49

I fail to see why you can't swap the Sachs flywheel and stator onto the 125; they are the same architecture. If you buy a flywheel puller and remove both flywheels, you'll see for yourself.

Please take photos.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I fail to see why you can't swap the Sachs flywheel and stator onto the 125; they are the same architecture. If you buy a flywheel puller and remove both flywheels, you'll see for yourself.

Please take photos.
The reason I have been given for it not fitting is because the original Sachs engine had electric start. the new 125 does not. Does this help? or make a difference?

One of these days when I get some time I will tear into it with my camera handy.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #51

It might make a difference, but I doubt it. I think that the rotational mass of the flywheels are about the same, the stator diameter and mounting configuration is the same and the crankshaft taper is the same.

Again, I'd pop the flywheels off of both engines to examine it. The only real difference I see is that you'll be deleting the electric start circuit.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #52

I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Please take photos.
The reason I have been given for it not fitting is because the original Sachs engine had electric start. the new 125 does not. Does this help? or make a difference?
One of these days when I get some time I will tear into it with my camera handy.
I can see where the electric start might be a larger diameter due to the gear teeth.
I'd still pull that puppy off and see if it works... :twisted:
Bill R

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #54

Just an update. I started putting the newly painted frame back together and got a little too anxious to post a photo. I wouldn't call it Allis Chalmers Orange as much as I would call it Zongshen Orange.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #55

Love it!

Did you use a spray bomb, or did you mix up paint and use a sprayer?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #56

Rattle cans, all the way. Nothing more convenient than paint ready-to-use.

I'm going to put a red crackle finish over the top orange tube and paint the exhaust to cover up the rust. maybe a few other small things, too.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #57

Basic flat black on the exhaust? I'm interested in the crinkle finish you're going to apply. We love pics!

Still waiting on the flywheel and stator question; have you found a flywheel removal tool yet?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #58

I have not had time to get into the flywheel project yet. I would like to do it in one sitting so I don't potentially get any parts mixed up. Yeah, I bought high heat paint basic flat black in color. I have heard this stuff is pretty good but will eventually burn off and need a new coat. No biggie.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #59

They say that you can make a high heat paint job last longer by curing it in between coats, like in a barbecue gas grill.

I don't really know. "They" say a lot of things.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #60

Update: Got the engine mounted up, after a couple hours and a few choice four-letter-words. Got the frame mostly back together, except a couple small things. My girlfriends dad is an expert electrician and seems to think that he can do the wiring on the bike in one or two nights. He said not to lose any sleep over the stator and flywheel issue because he thinks it will be okay.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...adass001-1.jpg

Excuse the mess in my room. Being in college and working full-time makes my free time come down to one of two things; Either clean my house or get this bike running. The choice is obvious.