Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Has anybody installed an aftermarket CDI on the Hawk 250? Scooter riders will sometimes do that to eliminate the factory rev limiter or the better ones offer an adjustable rev limiter. More RPM=More MPH.
=more stress on parts too.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #47

What is the rev-limiter on the Hawk? I've never gotten mine higher than 6500rpm's due to the vibration and currently too lean jetting.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Has anybody installed an aftermarket CDI on the Hawk 250? Scooter riders will sometimes do that to eliminate the factory rev limiter or the better ones offer an adjustable rev limiter. More RPM=More MPH.
Now I'm not real sure about this, but peak power is at 7500 rpm, and the factory rev limiter is supposedly set at 8500 rpm. You shouldn't be even bumping the rev limiter in normal riding. The rev limiter is set high for in case you miss a shift, or break a chain. Peak of the torque curve is around 52-5500 rpm. It is up to you to gear the machine so as to get the best use of it's power band, for your uses. You've got a maximum power band of 2000 or 2300 rpm. When you are able to utilize that band, you will get the best performance available.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #49

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Well, I guess you can call me "John P, crusher of dreams", but there is no way to take one of these cheap Hawks and mod it into a reliable highway machine. PERIOD.

Let me explain. And keep in mind that I've done a s*!%load of stuff to mine, and have more parts and mods that I'll be sharing documentation for in the not too distant future. But all the mods in the world won't turn this bike into a Honda or a KTM.

The engine makes about 14 horsepower. In order to get another 10 (like 66% more!) You would need to bore out the motor and do all kinds of stuff. You aren't just going to bolt on 5 horses with a new carb and pipe. People here have done those mods, and no one has reported a 33% power increase.

These bikes run really, really rough. They do not have counterbalanced engines, so the harder you rev them, the more they shake. When cruising along at 40MPH my bike buzzes like it's going to fall apart. Others here have gone on sustained fishing expeditions to get rid of all the buzzing, without complete success.

These bikes also have very weak brakes, which doesn't matter when you aren't going to fast. But they won't stop these things from 75 in an emergency.

The suspensions are super cheap, and super old school.

The seats are uncomfortable for "sustained" rides.

I could go on, but I'll sum up by saying - I LOVE my Hawk! No one is a bigger fan than me. And I can afford literally any vehicle on the planet, so that's saying a lot. But let's not pretend we can turn it into a refined, powerful and reliable bike. It just can't be done. Even if you spent $4,000, you won't have the equivalent of a new $4,000 Honda.

So my advice is, if $2,500 is your budget, find a nice used KTM, Honda or Yamaha. It'll give you what you want with no work, and you'll have higher end, more reliable components all around.

Again, sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
Yup you can't polish a turd but for just $450.00 you can get a used honda 250cc or 350cc engine displacement and be riding in heaven..

Old 01-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLLaS21 View Post

Yup you can't polish a turd but for just $450.00 you can get a used honda 250cc or 350cc engine displacement and be riding in heaven..
I don't want to sound rude.... but JohnP is so wrong on so many levels....

About riding in heaven with a 450 usd 250cc or 350cc Honda. Indeed you are going to be riding... but into heaven when it falls apart.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I don't want to sound rude.... but JohnP is so wrong on so many levels....
You said it before I could.

Talk about digging up a dinosaur of a thread though.

Admittedly, he isn't entirely wrong about a few things either. Some he is very on point.

That said, I know exactly how to make a Hawk ride, handle, and track safely and reliably. I know how to make one that can sustain 60-65mph (I have done so for 162 miles non-stop) without "shaking itself to bits" or grenading. Not much can be done about the engine vibrations, but getting rid of the knobby tires actually defeats MOST of the vibrations that many in this thread complain about. I would also ditch the knobbies (and have) if I planned on using the bike for a highway/road bike anyway.

In truth the only goal in the OP that does take more than basic upgrades and simple diligence and maintenance is the top speed of 75. That requires major engine work. I got my old Hawk (no port work or cam) to 70mph on occasion in the right circumstances, but that was the outer limit in the right conditions. Never failed to reach 60 and hold it though.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Tags
dual sport, hawk 250, hawk 250 specs, highway, horsepower